Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
On my Peugeot 407 SW of 2006, 2.2 with 220 000 km I suddenly get a warning that the temperature rises and then it says STOP! When I stop and wait about 5 min I can go on, but soon the temp rises again.
I did
- change the watertempsensor
- change the fan, witch did not work on middlespeed.
- vacumfilled the water under high pressure and tested that the pressure still was the same avter 12 hours.

After this it worked fine a couple of weeks, but then return to the fault.

First time it happened (Mars this year) the temp in the car was cold and after some stops, the heating suddenly came back again and I could drive some days.

My thoughts was that the waterpump could be the problem. It was changed at 100 000 km.

Grateful for all helps!

·
Registered
120 Posts
My first thoughts would be to replace the thermostat.
Make sure you bleed the cooling system correctly afterwards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thougt of this and talked with my mecanicer. He said that if the termostat was faulty, the temp would go down, not up. It opens if there is an error and then the cold water goes thru all the time. So there must be something else.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your "mechanic" is wrong.
The thermostat is normally closed.
If it fails then it will not open causing over heating.
I'd suggest you use another garage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I hope you are right.
I will send you a report after having fixed it.

My first garage said it was the head gasket, So I changed garage and hope for

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not understand what you mean with
- HG
- use coolant.
Could you please explain for me. I am a Swede and am not familiar with English terms.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
He means if the cylinder head gasket has failed, you would see the level of coolant (water plus anti-freeze) would drop in the reservoir. I presume you or your mechanic checked that?

As for the thermostat, it can fail in the open or closed position, or anywhere between. It can sometimes unstick, so it looks like the problem has gone away, and then it can start sticking again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that explanation!

We have tested the pressure of the coolant over an night with. The level did not change so we excuded that reason.
After that we change the waterfan, wich did not work on medium speed. Then we thought that the problem was solved. So, after a couple of days, the problem was there again.
Now I will go back and change the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
As for the thermostat, it can fail in the open or closed position, or anywhere between. It can sometimes unstick, so it looks like the problem has gone away, and then it can start sticking again.
As Ian says, the thermostat can stick in any position. I would certainly change it as a first option. And dont use a cheap chinese one!! Get a good make or preferably a genuine peugeot one.

And make sure you bleed the system thoroughly as any air in the system will cause issues somewhere down the line!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problems fixed!

Hi all,
Now I have had my old fine car running as it should with right temperature.
I did change the thermostat and that was it. Some problem with getting the air out of the system I had, but succeeded at last.

Thanks all for helping!

PS.
Now I will try to fix my glasroof that does not open and close correct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Coolant problem will return - air in the system?

In July I was very happy because all problems with the temperature were solved.

Suddenly in September the temp rose again and the old problems were back.
I went to the garage and they empted and flushed the hole system, filled it with coolant and then it all worked again - a coulple ov weeks.

There was a loss of coolant and they changed one of the coolant bleeding nippels that was not tight. After that if worked fine again - a week.

The problem begins in the same manner: the temp begins to go down and up a couple of times, then just up to STOP. I stop the car and engine and wait of better times. After some five minutes I start again and can run a small piece of way, and then the temp rises again.

It seems as after the filling and bleeding, I can run some time, a week or more and after that the problem comes back. I can see airbubbles coming up in the coolantcontainer. It is as if it comes air in the system slowly. The question is Where?
I now begin to look for an other car - but I love my Peugeot and want to keep it.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
How old is the water pump?

If it is old, or you don't know, you could consider replacing it, and changing the timing belt at the same time (because it has to be removed to change the pump anyway).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How old is the water pump?

If it is old, or you don't know, you could consider replacing it, and changing the timing belt at the same time (because it has to be removed to change the pump anyway).
The car has run 220 000 km now and at 128 000 in 2013 all this was changed.

Could this make the coolantsystem to take in air?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I think it is possible that, if the vanes are worn/corroded away, the pump may be causing cavitation. But it is only a theory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's only done 60000 miles since the last water pump. You would be very unlucky if it was that. If you see air bubbles in the coolant tank it isn't bled properly or it's sucking air in....head gasket...you won't always see a loss of coolant. It can be checked with a litmus check in the coolant tank. It 'smells' exhaust gases.
Does the engine warm up from cold very quickly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's only done 60000 miles since the last water pump. You would be very unlucky if it was that. If you see air bubbles in the coolant tank it isn't bled properly or it's sucking air in....head gasket...you won't always see a loss of coolant. It can be checked with a litmus check in the coolant tank. It 'smells' exhaust gases.
Does the engine warm up from cold very quickly?
The system has been bled several times; by myself and by the serviceman thru sucking out the coolant and therby achieve vacum and then fill the system. Thereafter it has been bled.
After these processes the car has been working fine for some time (some weeks), and then the temp goes down and up some times and finally rizes to 'STOP'. At these occasions I see bubbles in the tank.

What do you meen with a 'litmus check'? How would that be done?
The engine comes up to about 90 degrees in about 10 minutes, 8 Km.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So no air bubbles in the coolant tank when the temperature is normal, only when very hot? When the system was cleaned was the radiator removed and reverse flushed? It may be sludge wandering round in the system and the 'air bubbles' may just be the water boiling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So no air bubbles in the coolant tank when the temperature is normal, only when very hot? When the system was cleaned was the radiator removed and reverse flushed? It may be sludge wandering round in the system and the 'air bubbles' may just be the water boiling.
I can't tell that about when the bubbles come out with sure. For now my man will get a kit and then test i for first. He also mentioned to use something that made the gasket a bit more thick.
He has flushed the system, but how proper - I do not know.

I will come back and report.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts