Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

Been fitting insulation on my recently purchased Expert (converting into a camper) and when I came to the side pillars, behind the sliding side doors, I found about 1cm of water sitting in the bottom of the pillar. The ply floor seems a bit damp round there and the bottom of the ply side panel has definitely been wet.

I had a look underneath and the underside does have a bit of surface rust. Also I can see a small amount of rust developing at the seam, where the sill meets the floor.

I believe this is a bit of a common problem with these vans but I was quite surprised to see that amount of water in the bottom of the pillar, inside the van.

I also noticed some hairline cracks in the paint/sealant/weld in the channel on the roof above the pillar. I can't see any sign that its tracked down from the roof and I don't think this is the problem.

I suspect it's finding a way in through the wheel arch.

Has anyone come up with a solution to the rusty arch problem? If this rain ever stops I'm going to investigate behind the plastic trim in the arch, maybe gun some silicone into any seams and hope for the best.

Also might it be worth getting the van undersealed? My brother had his 110 Landy done for about £300 which seems a bit steep.

Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would be tempted to seal up those hairline cracks.

There is a product called Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, which was originally created for marine use, but has been used successfully by many to fix small leaks around car window seals, etc.

Have used it myself on rear door of my house, which has various joins in wooden panels. Used to seep inside and run down, not had any of that this winter even when it has been hammering down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update for anyone else with these van as I know it's a common thing.

Took the wheel arch liner off today and there's a bit of rust at the seam from the body skin and the wheel arch/pillar/inner body. I washed the mud out with the hose and the pillar straight away leaked.

When we get some dry weather and I can get the seam dry I shall seal it with sikaflex on the outside.

I have seen some quite bad ones where the paint has bubbled on the outside. Mine luckily hasn't got that far, just a small rust bleed/weep on the outside.

(The rust looks a bit worse on the photos than it is but I'll still be painting some oxide on)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts