Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello experts,

Today, when I was cleaning my car (307 SW 1.6 Petrol), I realized that the footwell area of the driver side is completely wet. I have been checking regularly the level of the coolant water and it has already started to lessen bit by bit but I was thinking that it was because I just changed the engine oil and started to use Mobil 1 0W-40 oil which is a bit viscous compared to what is recommended. I tried to clean the dirty water and removed the plastic cover which is located next to the gas pedal and hanging with two allen screw. This picture shows the backside of this cover. As you can see, there is some green rest that I draw a circle around. My antifreeze has also green color. Could you please guide me how I can fix it? Is it from heater radiator? Could you please also refer me the parts that I need to buy?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
from what i read the main reason footwells are soaking wet is because the windscreen seal has gone and needs renewing.

smell the water does, what does it smell of ie chemical?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what i read the main reason footwells are soaking wet is because the windscreen seal has gone and needs renewing.

smell the water does, what does it smell of ie chemical?
The weird thing is that it doesn't smell of chemical. I know if it is antifreeze leaking inside, it should smell terribly especially if the heater is on. However, when I took the spongy thing beneath the carpet out, I squeezed it and the water was greenish, which looked like antifreeze. But what do you think about the green residual in the picture? Is that normal?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
its not normal especially if your your footwell is soaked with it, ifs its greeny colour and your coolant is the same colour than you have an issue. especially if you have noticed a decrease in amounts in the pressure bottle.

as for what is wrong, maybe another member will point this out :thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not normal especially if your your footwell is soaked with it, ifs its greeny colour and your coolant is the same colour than you have an issue. especially if you have noticed a decrease in amounts in the pressure bottle.

as for what is wrong, maybe another member will point this out :thumb:
Thank you. Let's wait another person who is experienced with this kind of problem. I will also check the door seal but what I really want to know if somebody could tell that the green residues in the picture is wrong an must be fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem when I bought my 307. Turned out to be the windscreen seal had gone. The greenish colour could be just dye from the noise insulation, or if it's been leaking for a while, could be fungus.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar problem when I bought my 307. Turned out to be the windscreen seal had gone. The greenish colour could be just dye from the noise insulation, or if it's been leaking for a while, could be fungus.
This morning I checked the possible leakage from the green parts pointed in the picture when the engine was cold. Indeed there was some water drops from the point where I draw the small circle which is just below the biggest circle in the picture. I checked this place yesterday when I just stop my car, meaning that the coolant water was warm. There was no leakage from those points. I am guessing that the leakage is because of the gasket between two plastic junctions. I have checked the Peugeot Service Box for the installation of this part but couldn't find. Could you please post here if you can find or tell me how I can find? Thank you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
at the bottom of your windscreen on the outside of your car theres a plasticised rubber (just under the wipers)

That should be completely flat and tight on the windscreen.

You shouldn't be able to get anything thicker than a flat kitchen knive under it.

If this rubber is not inplace then you will have (eventually) lots of leaks due to rain water, etc.

Take a picture if you can and post it so we can eliminate this as a posibility.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at the bottom of your windscreen on the outside of your car theres a plasticised rubber (just under the wipers)

That should be completely flat and tight on the windscreen.

You shouldn't be able to get anything thicker than a flat kitchen knive under it.

If this rubber is not inplace then you will have (eventually) lots of leaks due to rain water, etc.

Take a picture if you can and post it so we can eliminate this as a posibility.
I will post the picture of it this evening and post it here. Thank you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope that you can have an idea out of this video because it was a bit hard to capture it myself. I have taken also some pics below. As you will see, I can put my finger in between the windscreen glass and the rubber. What do you think now?

Video:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
with the images and video being blocked at work, i can only work on what your describing. you say you can fit your finger into the seal...

i think this is your problem, get a hosepipe or jug of water and put water across it and look at where you noticed the water...has it returned?:thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
with the images and video being blocked at work, i can only work on what your describing. you say you can fit your finger into the seal...

i think this is your problem, get a hosepipe or jug of water and put water across it and look at where you noticed the water...has it returned?:thumb:
I will give it a try tomorrow. What is the possible solution? Can I put silicone in between glass and rubber to isolate it?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I will give it a try tomorrow. What is the possible solution? Can I put silicone in between glass and rubber to isolate it?
possibly, ive heard of people taking there car back to the dealer under warranty and get a new windscreen. but if you dont have that option you might have to do as you said.:thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fix for Leaking pipes

I had the same problem that you are having and fixed it myself about 4 months ago and it hasn't leaked since. My car is a 2004 Peugeot 307 SW 1.6 .

There is a gasket kit part number 6448 v2 that will solve the problem, but its a hell of a job to get it done.

You have to first drain the car of the coolant, so that when you release the pipes on the inside of the car u don't have much spillage.

To release the pipes on the inside you have to disconnect the 2 pipes that come in from the engine compartment, and to get to those you have to first take out the battery and battery compartment. I found in disconnecting the battery compartment they is this one nut that is connected from the underside. That meant taking off the wheel and wheel arch.

All of these are pretty easy to do with the help of the haynes manual which showed me how to remove the heater matrix, it just takes a long time but I was able to do it myself and saved myself some money.

Hope this information is of some help to you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the same problem that you are having and fixed it myself about 4 months ago and it hasn't leaked since. My car is a 2004 Peugeot 307 SW.

There is a gasket kit part number 6448 v2 that will solve the problem, but its a hell of a job to get it done.

You have to first drain the car of the coolant, so that when you release the pipes on the inside of the car u don't have much spillage.

To release the pipes on the inside you have to disconnect the 2 pipes that come in from the engine compartment, and to get to those you have to first take out the battery and battery compartment. I found in disconnecting the battery compartment they is this one nut that is connected from the underside. That meant taking off the wheel and wheel arch.

All of these are pretty easy to do, it just takes a long time but I was able to do it myself and saved myself some money.

Hope this information is of some help to you.
Where is this gasket located? Is it in the place where I draw the biggest circle in the picture? The weird thing is that, in this circle you see only one screw. However, there are two more screw holes but they are empty. Do you remember how many screws you mount there? I don't think that they are there for nothing.

What is included in this kit?

Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The gaskets are located exactly where you drew the biggest circle. You are correct I found it was held in place with only one screw and nut, but when I put the new gaskets in place I put 2 extra screws and nuts in the other holes to keep it in place better.

The kit comes with the 2 gaskets and 2 screws and nuts. I was only able to use one of these screws and nut from the kit to put in one of the holes, I had to purchase another one from a hardware store.

I have sent you a picture of the gasket it is number 6.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The gaskets are located exactly where you drew the biggest circle. You are correct I found it was held in place with only one screw and nut, but when I put the new gaskets in place I put 2 extra screws and nuts in the other holes to keep it in place better.

The kit comes with the 2 gaskets and 2 screws and nuts. I was only able to use one of these screws and nut from the kit to put in one of the holes, I had to purchase another one from a hardware store.

I have sent you a picture of the gasket it is number 6.
I appreciate your helps. It is weird that they put only one screw and nut although there are 2 more places to hold. Thank you again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Glad that ecrichlow has helped you :thumb:

The rubbers on your windscreen look fine but there's a lot of crud behind them.
Quick Tip, use hot olive oil and a cloth to remove the gunk that will help to maintain your seal. Dry the rubber and glass afterwards with a clean cloth (old t-shirt)

There's a thread on the forum somewhere about how to replace your air filter (not pollen filter), it tells you what to do to access the filter. When accessing the filter you have to loosen/remove the rubber section, all the steps are there should you wish to do a deep clean and filter replacement at the same time

Filter is about €15

1 - 20 of 33 Posts