1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I could do with anyone's advice here, so please have a go:

The problem:

After each downpour, I get a fair amount of water in passenger side footwell - not exactly inside and on the carpet, but it fills up the hollow threshold. First time it happened, there was so much water it started pouring in through the holes in the metal (those that hold the plastic wire holders) and right onto the carpet.

Nowadays after each rain, I grab my syringe and a catheter and suck the water out through the said holes lest the level reach the holes again, but also to keep the poor threshold from rotting away.

They say that "the drain"- going from the windshield to the back of the front tire must be clogged somewhere and it is the most plausible cause, since it all started after the summer on the coast, where I kept my Pug under the pine trees- enough said.
It is NOT the A/C, it is NOT the door rubber, it is NOT the coolant. It only happens in the rain.

Also: it is NOT that plastic-rubbery thing at the base of the wiper- they say it should stick flat to the glass, but in my case it does not (it yawns out just less then a millimeter), and have been like that for two years without a problem.

Since I would hate to see my car turning to rust and as I cannot afford the body shop, does anyone know how and where to clean the clogging?? Or if there is drain pipe or whatever it is down there broken or dislodged, how to locate and fix it?

Thanks!!!

P

·
0 Posts
Hello there,

The problem:

After each downpour, I get a fair amount of water in passenger side footwell - not exactly inside and on the carpet, but it fills up the hollow threshold. First time it happened, there was so much water it started pouring in through the holes in the metal (those that hold the plastic wire holders) and right onto the carpet.

Nowadays after each rain, I grab my syringe and a catheter and suck the water out through the said holes lest the level reach the holes again, but also to keep the poor threshold from rotting away.

They say that "the drain"- going from the windshield to the back of the front tire must be clogged somewhere and it is the most plausible cause, since it all started after the summer on the coast, where I kept my Pug under the pine trees- enough said.
It is NOT the A/C, it is NOT the door rubber, it is NOT the coolant. It only happens in the rain.

Also: it is NOT that plastic-rubbery thing at the base of the wiper- they say it should stick flat to the glass, but in my case it does not (it yawns out just less then a millimeter), and have been like that for two years without a problem.

Since I would hate to see my car turning to rust and as I cannot afford the body shop, does anyone know how and where to clean the clogging?? Or if there is drain pipe or whatever it is down there broken or dislodged, how to locate and fix it?

Thanks!!!
If the plastic is out even 1mm it will slowly build up crap underneath then cause the leak. Mine was out a tiny amount and had wet through carpet, only stopped when i removed the plastic, cleaned all of it out and fitted it correctly.

Try and soak up as much of the water as possible. Mine was so bad I had to replace all the soundproofing underlay and most recently the carpet itself as it had never recovered from the soaking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If the plastic is out even 1mm it will slowly build up crap underneath then cause the leak. Mine was out a tiny amount and had wet through carpet, only stopped when i removed the plastic, cleaned all of it out and fitted it correctly.

Try and soak up as much of the water as possible. Mine was so bad I had to replace all the soundproofing underlay and most recently the carpet itself as it had never recovered from the soaking.
Ok, I've re-checked, there is no space between scuttle panel and windscreen on the passenger side. There is some on driver side, but there is absolutely no leak there.

I have a picture there where I mark the spot that is the most plausible for the leak to happen and run into the passenger threshold. What do you think, is there any way for water to run into that hole and somehow breach back there?

P.S. This is NOT MY CAR on the pic, I'm just using it as an example. The marked side is a passenger side on my car...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there,

The problem:

Thanks!!!

I have exactly the same issue, I have to use a old towel to dry the footwell out. I have checked the drainage holes ether side of the windscreen. Has anyone found a solution to this ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts