Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
That's why I didn't go for the keyless option. There was a bit in the news last year about this method of car theft.
True, today any idiot with a smartphone can be a car thief... But I must say also without the keyless option it makes not much difference if the right person wants your car... it is gone in 60s....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Easy way to prevent it happening to you is don't leave your car keys anywhere near the front door to your house. All the box that they use does is boost the signal from your keys to the box/pad the other thief has that opens the car, if there is no signal from your keys because their in the back kitchen or furthest point to the car there will be no signal to pick up because your key signal is to weak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One thing I don't understand with the keyless entry is why on earth is the car allowed to drive away from it's key??

The thieves are using the signal booster to gain entry and start the engine.. fair enough. the car is fooled into thinking that the key is next to it or inside it. However one thing that I find as a massive design flaw is that you are essentially allowed to drive the car away from the key itself. There should be a system in place that constantly talks to the key to check whether the key is still within the range. Once it's not reachable then the engine should be cut off.

This should be quite easy to implement in all existing cars via software upgrade, I would suspect.

·
Registered
730 Posts
One thing I don't understand with the keyless entry is why on earth is the car allowed to drive away from it's key??

The thieves are using the signal booster to gain entry and start the engine.. fair enough. the car is fooled into thinking that the key is next to it or inside it. However one thing that I find as a massive design flaw is that you are essentially allowed to drive the car away from the key itself. There should be a system in place that constantly talks to the key to check whether the key is still within the range. Once it's not reachable then the engine should be cut off.

This should be quite easy to implement in all existing cars via software upgrade, I would suspect.
I know in early keyless start vehicles this flaw was present, but very quickly it was fixed so that engine would shut-off if you start driving without a key.
I plan on testing this today on my 5008, since I was wondering from day 1 what will happen if I start driving without a key inside the car.

I suppose that the the box they are using might be storing the key frequency once it unlocks the car, so the car still thinks key is present. I know the same principle was used for unlocking cars with normal remote keys, it was enough that they stored one unlock process on their device, and they could replicate it later because car manufacturers used same key-code algorithms on all of their keys, even accross several car brands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the 3008 you are able to drive away without the car.. I have unintentionally tested it myself :)

The thing is that the signal boosters would not store the frequency as it's not a factor in the keyless entry mechanism. I have noticed that on the key there is a AES-256 written on it which means that the key acts as an encryption endpoint. This means that in order to open the car the key's and car's authentication needs to happen and both "endpoints" need to pass it.

This is why I think that the tools used for stealing those cars are only signal boosters only.. nothing else. If the car was authenticating with the key every 1 minute and you would drive away from the key then the car should switch the engine off.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
The car only needs to see the key to unlock and allow starting once started the key can be taken away BUT once they get to wherever they are going it wont restart unless the box of tricks still has the key codes saved

·
Registered
52 Posts
The motor continues to work without the presence of the keyless for safety reason. Imagine that the keyless battery goes off and you are on the motorway at high speed.

The tools are not booster signal only. They intercept and jamming the signal. Since the door did not open, you press the remote button again and then the tool read the second signal and decipher the code.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I recall a mates BMW M3 had a pin code you had to type in before you could disarm the immobiliser. It's a shame this isn't a standard feature especially on cars with a convenient touchscreen for it.
It is very easy to construct a faraday cage however. Even a shoe box fully lined with tinfoil and with the lid closed will perform perfectly.

Biggest problem is once you prevent the easy theft you are back in the realm of them kicking your door down to get the keys or holding your kids hostage until you tell them the code on your safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts