Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a guy trying to access our new 3008 this afternoon in the residential car park, in broad daylight! :mad:

First time I've ever witnessed this in all my years of car ownership. To all those saying that these vehicles aren't desirable enough to be knicked, wrong! Luckily he didn't get in it, was just pulling on the handles, and stupid me opened my big mouth and scared him off, but heard lots of police sirens after they were called so fingers crossed.

I don't have keyless (security was one reason for not getting it), but for those that do, please get yourself a faraday box/wallet pronto, or at least keep your keys well away from the front door when at home, just in case.

How to avoid keyless theft | Auto Express

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Clearly very worrying indeed. I guess our cars are also desirable not just to us, but the lowlife in society.

Do you mind me asking whereabouts you are located (or this incident took place) - UK?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clearly very worrying indeed. I guess our cars are also desirable not just to us, but the lowlife in society.

Do you mind me asking whereabouts you are located (or this incident took place) - UK?
SW London, so not a huge surprise, but not a bad area either, generally quite safe. Been here for many years and that's the first experience I've had. Just makes you wake up a bit when you witness something like this on your very doorstep.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ordered pouches for the keys when we're out and about.

I've also asked @peugeot on facebook if they will release a software patch to allow the capability to be switched off.

Annoyingly you can't simply cut the antenna areal in the key fob because the engine needs the close proximity to start with keyless starting - there's no non-keyless mechanism to start the car..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would be good to see Peugeot roll out the tracking service currently offered to French customers

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Can't Peugeot track the car using the Sim card installed for Tom Tom Live?? I imagine the SOS button links into the same system and exactly locates the car.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I purchased a couple of these RFID wallets which I keep one in the car for when we leave the car out and about (I simply lock the vehicle then place the key in the bag and keep in my inside pocket).
The other bag is kept in the house and stores both sets of keys when the vehicle is not in use.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I understand that this is now a requirement for security etc. but doesn't the need to keep your key in a Faraday pouch or similar make the keyless feature null anyway?

Surely if you have to take your keys in/ out of the pouch, you may as well have the standard key and take that in/out of your pocket as normal?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quite. I think the incident described at the top of this thread is an opportunist thief rather than a professional as a professional would have taken the car without a doubt. Personally I would rather accept the extra(rare) risk of an opportunist theft in order to have the convenience of keyless entry and go (my wife can never find her keys in her handbag?)
Maybe if I lived in a less salubrious area my view would be different.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I understand that this is now a requirement for security etc. but doesn't the need to keep your key in a Faraday pouch or similar make the keyless feature null anyway?

Surely if you have to take your keys in/ out of the pouch, you may as well have the standard key and take that in/out of your pocket as normal?
I don’t need to keep the keys that are with me in the pouch all of the time, only for when I know I will either pass close by or be sat near the vehicle. For the majority of the time I can keep the keys in my pocket, place my hand on the door handle to lock and alarm then walk away from any RFID reception signal.
My previous vehicle was keyless and I remember one day whilst shopping in Bakewell I walked past the vehicle several times and on one occasion I must have pressed the keys button by accident because when I returned the doors were unlocked and unalarmed! It didn’t take me long to then realise I needed something to block the signal for certain times of use. :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Perhaps an on/off switch on the key fobs might be a good idea. I don't think anything is going to stop a determined professional thief, but I suspect Peugeots are rather low on their wishlists. Chancers and joyriders are probably the ones most likely to try and pinch a 3008.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Ordered pouches for the keys when we're out and about.

I've also asked @peugeot on facebook if they will release a software patch to allow the capability to be switched off.

Annoyingly you can't simply cut the antenna areal in the key fob because the engine needs the close proximity to start with keyless starting - there's no non-keyless mechanism to start the car..
i dont know about cutting the areal but if toy take the battery out of the key the keyless part will not work and you can unlock the car manually and start the car if you hold the key in the correct place on my car if I hold it over the start button it will start with no battery in key

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, that's meant to be an emergency solution for starting the car when the battery in the key fails.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Perhaps an on/off switch on the key fobs might be a good idea. I don't think anything is going to stop a determined professional thief, but I suspect Peugeots are rather low on their wishlists. Chancers and joyriders are probably the ones most likely to try and pinch a 3008.
I may get a "1.6 Diesel" sticker on the back.. that should do it :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think you disturbed a casual chancer. Or someone wanting to steal from the car.
In the 1980's Vauxhalls were the most stolen cars, not because they were desirable, but because they were easy to steal.
How easy is it to steal a Peugeot compared to other makes?.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Actually, it was my wife who picked them Grumpy. We always grab a couple whenever we’re in Bakewell. :D
I won't mind grabbing a tart either! Just a bit of a way to go from where I am though.

Just beware some other type of tart don't steel your 3008. (for the benefit of the ever watchful Beau):nod:

Grumpy

Reactions: Beards
1 - 20 of 20 Posts