Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posting on behalf of a friend of mine,

Right he washed engine top and bottom now he has engine light on won`t rev over 2,500 and lots of black smoke,

think its a 1999? and it`s a 406 diesel estate

i can`t get a reading with my code readers and he doesn`t really want to go to peugeot ,car not worth that much,

ideas? wait to see if it drys out or ?

Main areas to concentrate on ?

Ps- just to add power returned twice today for brief periods and mil light went out.

G

·
Anything vaguely electrical must be a suspect. Two options are substitution (expensive) or stealers (expensive).

Never use anything wetter than a damp rag in an engine bay.

G

·
If it wont rev over 2500 then its stuck in limp home mode

I myself would remove battery and unclip all electical connections and allow them to dry (remembering where they go of course!)

And make sure water hasnt gotten into the main electrical bay

Apart from that its hard to tell whats done it! :confused:

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry late getting back on this one , it was connecters to the starter motor,but he just replaced starter motor , solved.

·
Super Moderator
1,807 Posts
French electrics are fragile enough without adding water!:lol:

G

·
If water has contaminated the starter it could be draining current straight to earth, depriving either the ignition or the management of the juice need to rev.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best and easy fix is to use a compressed air gun to dry out the engine on all the electrical parts If you dont have a compressor and you can limp to a garage use their tyre inflator .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nigel Adelaide said:
Best and easy fix is to use a compressed air gun to dry out the engine on all the electrical parts If you dont have a compressor and you can limp to a garage use their tyre inflator .
I could limp to the garage, but I'd have to push the car there...:lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is lucky but do it as soon as possible as if you leave the water for a while you can get corrosion but at least it is warm in the uk now so just park it outside with bonnet up as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts