Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my crankshaft pulley is really really wobbly as shown in the video below, I'll surely order a new one, but as you see the engine seems to have a timing issue so i'm not sure if it's worth fixing that first or checking the timing issue first, what do you guys think ? is it just a matter of getting a new pulley / tensioner / belt set ? or just forget about it ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Think they have the 2 part rubber bonded crank pulleys on those, and would say yours is completely screwed!
Are you sure it has timing issues and it's not the buggered pulley knocking?

Edit......... Just watched the whole video........ something screwy going on there and wouldn't leave it too long to get it looked at!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will pull it out soon and see what's up, what do you think is screwed ? The pulley ? I've hardly seen any crankshaft bend so bad, so I'm wondering if you something i don't. Can't take the car to any shops as it's too expensive in Norway and will cost more the car itself just to tow it there and diagnose :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the crank was bent, i would expect you to be losing a hell of a lot of oil from crank seal.
The way that crank bolt is going round (or oval should that be), something certainly isn't right there! If you pop the belt off, you should be able to see if there is any movement in the pulley itself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the crank was bent, i would expect you to be losing a hell of a lot of oil from crank seal.
The way that crank bolt is going round (or oval should that be), something certainly isn't right there! If you pop the belt off, you should be able to see if there is any movement in the pulley itself.
True, the oil is intact and no leaks, I'll pull it out soon and post results, thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok guys little update!, I pulled out the pulley and it seems pretty much ok, then I tried cranking and it seems like the crank sprocket it the issue ? I also saw some oil below the crank, not sure if that's normal sweating or if it's just the seal due to the wobble, here is also a video of it cranking without the pulley. Any thoughts ? On guessing a damaged keyway? My next step is to pull out the cover and dig deeper.

Let me know any thoughts guys :) thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
the crank pulleys do wobbly as the 2 pieces are seperated and break up

yours is pretty bad. have you got another pulley to try?

i changed mine when i first got my 307 as it wobbled the new one did to and still wobbles 5 years later

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the crank pulleys do wobbly as the 2 pieces are seperated and break up

yours is pretty bad. have you got another pulley to try?

i changed mine when i first got my 307 as it wobbled the new one did to and still wobbles 5 years later
No the problem is not the pulley, it seems to be the whole sprocket/pulley boss assembly if you see the second video

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updates !

Ok everyone, managed to get through the stupid rainy weather and got the car into the garage, pulled out the timing cover and took a deeper look, here's what i found

1-The bolt for the crank was loose, extremely very easy to unbolt and had lots of rust on the thread, which tells me someone did a bad timing belt job :mad:

2-The Pulley boss and the sprocket do wobble, with an expected amount of oil leak localised to the front seal, which is expected, no more leaks anywhere else.

3-The timing was spot on, all the markers matched and I feel happy about not having to deal with a valve job ! :D

Here's a video of what it looks like in there now

I couldn't get off the crank sprocket though as I had nothing to lock the flywheel with, but it's something i'll be doing this week.

I'm pretty sure when I get it out i'll find out it's a keyway damage due to improper torquing .. lots of issue could've been avoided there

on a side note, my Lexia3 PP2000 is in the mail, so the misfiring issue will be easier to diagnose soon :thumb:

One strange thing though, when the accessory belt is off and the engine is idling, i'm not seeing any errors, i expect at least a battery warning indicating a bad alternator ? is that a normal thing ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ISSUE FOUND: keyway broken !

So as I suspected, the mechanic who did the timing belt didn't torque the crankshaft pulley bolt... See the damage for yourself :(

I'm gonna apply a loctite fix to the new sprocket and belt and see how it goes !

Hope I didnt cause any valve damage !
It seems to have skipped at least 5 or 6 teeth at the crank, at least !

PSA: always do your timing job at a proper mechanic ! Or remember to torque of you DIY !

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts