Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 407 SW ;), only 77000km on the clock and today I noticed vibrations at higher speeds only. I did not notice it when driving legal speeds only above 120kmph. Seem to be front end origin...
Its like something is unbalanced,can it be the wheel(s) itself or are there any other common reasons for this?
Im planning to hoist the car and have a look in the coming days but some advices on what to look for would be great.

Thanks and Happy Halloween :p

Hjalmar

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought a 2005 407 SW ;), only 77000km on the clock and today I noticed vibrations at higher speeds only. I did not notice it when driving legal speeds only above 120kmph. Seem to be front end origin...
Its like something is unbalanced,can it be the wheel(s) itself or are there any other common reasons for this?
Im planning to hoist the car and have a look in the coming days but some advices on what to look for would be great.

Thanks and Happy Halloween :p

Hjalmar
before you do anything drastic.
Just do a wheel balance of the wheels, the cheapest option.
Which country are you in?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
thats about 75 MPH so Motorway speed I would say wheel balance Mine has some vibration at this speed and my wheels are balanced so looking at maybe a bearing :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was a bit annoyed as my Coupe was starting the vibratiions around 78mph ... I went to the tyre place to get it balanced.
And they told me ... ooohh this is above the legal limit we might not be able to get it sorted.

I was pissed off to say the least, as they knew the next day I was driving across Europe, (all the way to Greece) Most of Europe limit is 130km or 80shMPH, I wanted that car balanced I was not going to drive almost 4000 miles with vibrating steering.

They got it sorted at the end. But a car is made to be driven, is not bound to just one country, at the end of the day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im in Sweden...
I have a set of winter tyres, so my plan is to test wit those and see if it is any difference...that is for free..only my own labour cost..:)
But I think that if it is a vibration at higher speed it is most likely vibrations at lower speed as well, but not noticable. But could still wear on the joints and so forth..
Cheers!

G

·
0 Posts
Possibly a driveshaft - I believe the symptoms are the same as an unbalanced wheel but more noticeable at speed..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im in Sweden...
I have a set of winter tyres, so my plan is to test wit those and see if it is any difference...that is for free..only my own labour cost..:)
But I think that if it is a vibration at higher speed it is most likely vibrations at lower speed as well, but not noticable. But could still wear on the joints and so forth..
Cheers!
To be honest a driveshast with less than 50.000miles on the clock, sounds less likely.
Can you feel the vibration on the brake pedal? if so .. look for a warped disk.
If not most likely a wheel out of balance.

When I used to have my Renault Velsatis 3.5 V6, there used to be a stabiliser bearing on the long driveshaft, the casing of which was mounted on the engine. This bearing came out of place, and it let the driveshaft to be able to move up and down etc, this caused vibrations, but when I used to go at 70mph the vibrations were to strong the whole of the dash would rattle and vibrate.

As some say if it is making clicking noises when the steering is on full lock (right or left) then the hub joint of the driveshaft had it.
Also you could have a bent driveshaft.

It might as well be a bent alloy, did you hit a pothole or kurb?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Possibly a driveshaft - I believe the symptoms are the same as an unbalanced wheel but more noticeable at speed..
Yes as Gingermagic says. When I changed my driveshaft it was clicking when turning right but also I noticed the car would start to vibrate at about 60mph but has stopped doing it since the driveshaft was replaced. Just something to consider if the tyres and wheel balancing don't work. :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Im in Sweden...
Cheers!
The best way. I had a v slight vibration at around similar speeds but nothing too serious. It disappeared with my winter wheels. I got the summer wheels rebalanced before putting them away for the winter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback!
I might change wheels tomorrow, they are talking about snow here on thurday...brrrr...
I let you know the difference then.
Cheers
Hjalle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I changed tyres and the vibrations are gone!
However, when removing the tyres I noticed they were very worn on the side of the contact surface. Down to flat rubber. :(
I think i have to do a wheel alignment check which cost around Euro 100 here in Sweden..:)
Sighs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Now I changed tyres and the vibrations are gone!
However, when removing the tyres I noticed they were very worn on the side of the contact surface. Down to flat rubber. :(
I think i have to do a wheel alignment check which cost around Euro 100 here in Sweden..:)
Sighs
Before you take it for a wheel allignment, make sure first to check the lower ball joints.
If they are gonne, change them first and then do the allignment/tracking.
It will save you from doing it twice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts