Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again chaps. Since getting my clutch replaced at Mr Clutch I've noticed that there's a mild kind of vibration under my foot when on the accelerator during general driving. Also, my start from 1st gear is generally fine but if I pull away in 1st gear with any sort of higher revs, it vibrates quite strongly, and again it feels like it's coming from under the right foot.

I put this to Mr Clutch last week after I took the car back to them to replace a seal after they left the gearbox oil leaking. They said it wouldn't be the new clutch. The mechanic drove my car a few feet so I could get him to hear and feel it and he said it's the 'top mount' component over the shock spring.

I don't know if it is or not, but it feels to me like it's all coming directly under the accelerator. Any idea what it could be or if there's something else they've done wrong?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He is talking bull. Get them to investigate the clutch they have just put in.?
I'm sure he is, I think they're cowboys.

What would cause it to vibrate, or I suppose shudder, with higher revs with a new clutch? What would they have not done properly when installing it to cause that to happen?

I just saw a youtube video about clutch vibration where the guy says that if the flywheel is not prepped properly and isn't perfectly smooth, it will cause vibration. Mr Clutch had refaced my flywheel. Maybe that's where the problem is?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If I remember your initial thread he did the clutch without removing the gearbox didn't he? If so there is no way he could have refaced the flywheel in situ. Not properly anyway. He might have rubbed it with a bit of wirewool or emery paper which does not count as refacing. Needs a lathe to do that!

·
5,978 Posts
Or they left engine hanging for its top mount and damaged it allowing engine to move around giving vibration

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a similar problem not 10k after Mr clutch done my clutch/dmf. They took me for £1100 and It begun slipping from time to time and had a weird noise at idle after not long, I'd say do what I should've done and get them to fix it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I think you both should report them to the trading standards agency. As I said try and find a local independent garage who has a reputation for good work and honesty. They still do exist believe me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies guys. I just took my car this morning to a local mechanic who has done some work on it before. He put it up on the ramp and had a good look and prod around. His conclusion is that due to the car being so old, 3 rubber mounts that support the engine are perishing and the engine is moving a bit. It's like about a £400 job that I won't be having done.

So it seems there's nothing I can blame Mr Clutch for. He told me that Mr Clutch might have made it slightly worse but he said they wouldn't have been able to avoid it as they would need to drop the engine slightly when doing the clutch.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Well there is as windy wrote the way they changed it puts a lot of strain on the forward mount and could have caused that to fail! Actually the one most likely to fail is the lower one and they do not cost a lot and are accessible. Just need to jack up the front, put some axle stands or use ramps , wriggle under and bingo! I have just looked on ebay and they are £9.11! If it still vibrates then yes the other two are a bit more involved but I think that price is taking the mick!

·
Registered
351 Posts
All the top engine mounts on a 307 are easy, you could do the pair in 30 minutes.

The lower one is a bit harder, but very possible if you're fitting a push in powerflex one.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah but the mechanic I went to today said it's the 3 rubber engine mounts around the engine, costing about £60 to £80 each, and not the top mount that Mr Clutch suggested. He showed me. He jacked the front up and did something with a a crowbar underneath and I saw the engine moving up and down a little. He showed me one of the rubber mounts and where the rubber was worn and breaking away.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
There are 3 mounts. One on the front top of the engine(offside inner wing) One on the gearbox casing( nearside inner wing) and the rear lower middle. They are supposed to absorb the movement of the engine in relation to the bodywork so if levered they will show movement. If one in particular looks perished then change that one and see if it improves. Try ebay search under 307 engine mounts to give you an idea of costs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts