Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2007 407 2.0 HDI SW Sport to local dealer to check out severe vibration. One look under the bonnet and the mechanic said it was the engine mounting on top left of engine. He could not source a genuine peugeot replacement so he fitted a mounting sourced from local parts dealer. When I got the car back there was still a slight vibration which got worse before I got home (one hour from dealer to home). I took the car back and the mechanic told me that the replacement had split so he fitted another one. As soon as I started the engine I felt quite severe vibration. Told the mechanic who said they would source a Peugeot replacement as he thought the locally sourced part was not up to the job. I have a feeling that something else could be causing the vibration which in turn is causing the mounting to fail. Grateful if anyone can give me any clues as to what may be the cause or am I looking too deep into it.
I am in Spain and do not have many local Peugeot dealers I can turn to. Thanks in advance, Andrew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes, I understand. As it happens my clutch does make quite a racket but the vibes I have are a totally different sound. Thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have asked the mechanic to take a look at the other mountings but he gave me a "I'm the mechanic here" look so I don't know if he has. I am hoping the next trip to the garage will see the problem sorted but being in Spain I have my doubts.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Engine mounts on these do have a bit more movement than you would expect especially the gearbox end

Can you rock the engine by hand as sometimes the small bush on the lower rear mount wears you can feel the engine rocking and this in turn causes vibration in the driveshaft

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will check this out in the morning. As I have said, being in Spain has some drawbacks, especially when dealing with logic. I The Spanish in general have a wierd logic that does not seem to fit any logical pattern so I may have to lead the mechanic by the hand if I find anything wrong. Thanks again for all the help, I am sure I will win given time. Try again manana as they say here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had another look at it today. There does not appear to be much movement on the top engine mount, certainly does not appear to be enough to cause damage. When I start the engine it really does seem to move a fair bit as it starts but even ticking over there is a lot of vibration which wasn't there before I took the car in originally, as if something else has now failed. I tried to rock the engine but to be honest with my dodgy back I couldn't get any movement from it.
I'm waiting for a call from the dealer when they manage to source a part. It seems to be taking some time. Maybe it is the Spanish influence that takes so long to get anything done. When(if) they manage to sort it out I will post letting you know what the cause was.
Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they fitted a non Peugeot engine mounting, according to them they could not get the original part from Peugeot. They are now waiting for the makers part to come from Peugeot. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
latest news

Quick update - back to the dealers and they fitted Peugeot engine mounting but I still have a vibration. They are now saying this is coming from the clutch. I really don't know where to go from here. Clutch is about 1100 euros but I don't honestly think that the clutch is the problem. Car has 120,000 kms on the clock and according to what I have been told it should last at least 200,000 kms. As I bought it second hand I can't confirm the mileage nor do I know how it has been driven so if all else fails I will have to dig deep and pay for a new clutch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As i said before sounds like dual mass flywheel to me.

Dealers will bill you for clutch and dual mass flywheel.

EXPENSIVE

GOOD LUCK

:thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Latest news is that the vibration is getting worse but I am booked in Monday for new clutch - 1100 euros as expected. Hopefully it will last until then as I have a trip to Alicante airport to pick up my sis in law tomorrow (400 km. round trip).
Hopefully this will put an end to this episode, the next scheduled pay out is for two new tyres very soon.
Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi folks,
Got my car back yesterday evening all sorted. The thinking is that the clutch was nearly done for and the vibration from it finished off the engine mounting. Not being a boffin I just have to take what they say. Cost me 1058 euros for the clutch - ouch

·
Registered
94 Posts
They must have changed the dual mass flywheel then for that price especially as the clutch plate on them is solid....!
The dual mass is designed to dampen the shock and when they are gone make the crank / drive judder.
Anyhow glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They did put a new flywheel in, saw the old one and it was completely shot. I think if I had left it any longer it may have disintegrated and caused untold damager. Thanks again for the help and the kind words - I need to keep a closer eye in future to the forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts