Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Currently trying to decide between these two, I had been veering towards the 308 as I really like the look of it but I cant find one locally to test drive. I did however test drive a Astra 1.4 turbo elite and I really liked it, it was quick.

Is the rear room in the 308 really that bad?

For anyone who has tried both what is sound quality from the 308 music system like, and can anyone that has heard both compare it to the astra?

Many thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if I go for Peugeot are there any major disadvantages of the 2.0 hdi diesel over the 1.6 hdi? I like the idea of more power. Is the 1.2 130 faster than the 1.6 Diesel?

·
Super Moderator
1,787 Posts
Might not be a lot of help, but I have a Zafira Tourer Elite. Now it's the 2.0 cdti 165 so not the engine you've been looking at, but it's been fault free and the sound quality is perfectly good for me. Never driven the 308 so all I can say is I like the Vauxhall stuff.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Ah no I meant 'newer' as in the new shape so 2014 and beyond.

I have a 14 plate :)
Is that the SW (Estate) that you have? That has extra space in the back thanks to a lengthened wheelbase. There's also some extra tacked on behind the rear wheels to make for quite spacious vehicle.

I have heard of people complaining about lack of space in the back of the hatchback but not the estate.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is that the SW (Estate) that you have? That has extra space in the back thanks to a lengthened wheelbase. There's also some extra tacked on behind the rear wheels to make for quite spacious vehicle.

I have heard of people complaining about lack of space in the back of the hatchback but not the estate.
Nope, hatchback here :)

I'm not sure why people would complain about the hatchback's space tbh I find it quite substantial for a car of this size.
I guess the only way it'd be bigger is if the boot was smaller but personally I'd rather have the larger boot out of the two :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 1.2 130 version of second hand gtlines seem to be a bit more than the 1.6 hdi 120 version, is it worth paying the extra?

Does the 1.2 feel more powerful, less hassle to maintain etc?

·
Registered
888 Posts
The 1.2 130 version of second hand gtlines seem to be a bit more than the 1.6 hdi 120 version, is it worth paying the extra?

Does the 1.2 feel more powerful, less hassle to maintain etc?
Official specs said that 1.2 130 is faster. Torque is among the highest, if not at the very top, of all engines in class. However, BlueHDi have better MPG with virtualy the same performance.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Might not be a lot of help, but I have a Zafira Tourer Elite. Now it's the 2.0 cdti 165 so not the engine you've been looking at, but it's been fault free and the sound quality is perfectly good for me. Never driven the 308 so all I can say is I like the Vauxhall stuff.
Just be sure to wear a fire retardant suit and carry a fire extinguisher at all times :lol::fire2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had the Hatch back with a 120 hdi and now have the SW with the 2.0 hdi.

I found the legroom in the rear of the hatch to be awful, I am 6ft 3 so it was right back with maybe a few inches gap behind me. The Sw has a bit more leg room, no one can sit behind me still but the gap is a lot bigger.

The 2.0 is more powerful and drinks a bit more fuel than the 1.6 although I found the difference in power to be smaller than I thought it would be, the 1.6 would have to be worked hard to keep with a 2.0 but I thought overall i prefer it, having said that my 2.0 is in the heavier SW version so it might be a lot better if it were in the hatch.

sound from the stereo is ok, not as good as I would have liked but nothing to really complain about apart from it does not handle bass very well as you get to the high end of the volume, I am talking almost flat out here though so I very rarely have it that loud so like i said not a major problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just bought a 2.0 BlueHDI about a month ago and during the process also test drove the 1.6. As I do around 15k miles a year I did not drive the 1.2 petrol

My previous car was a 320D BMW.

In terms of performance I found you had to work the 1.6 quite hard to get any real performance out of it, the 2.0 is a bit 'gruffer' but feels like it has much more torque.

When I got out of the 1.6 and into the 2.0 I actually thought the difference was night and day, I immediately decided that I needed the 2.0.

On paper for some unknown reason the 1.6 GT Line seems to have a slower 0-60 than say a 1.6 Allure (based on technical specs on autotrader), no idea why this is.

On paper the 2.0 gets to 60mph in under 9 seconds, the 1.6 is over 10, bit for me it wasn't about that, the low range pulling power of the 2.0 was much stronger.

I am only 5'6" tall and my wife is even shorter so for us the rear space is fine although I have heard reviews criticising it.

Sound system is ok although bass is a bit lacking. My car is a 16 plate and a bit disappointing that I cannot use carplay or similar, and I have a page called Peugeot connected apps that now appears discontinued.

Navigation is ok but I dont know why more manufacturers cannot have a better version of Real Time Traffic like BMW, TMC is pretty useless. I dont know if newer versions have an improved version (Tom Tom?)

Overall I love the car and personally I think it has a bit of flair in GT Line trim, to me the Astra is a bit bland.

My average MPG since I got the car is 49.1 which I am happy with as I do like the exploit the additional performance...

·
Registered
888 Posts
J....
On paper for some unknown reason the 1.6 GT Line seems to have a slower 0-60 than say a 1.6 Allure (based on technical specs on autotrader), no idea why this is.
Models with biger wheels has lower performance. Allure has 16" and GT line 17", more rolling resistance and higher drag.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's correct. The performance decrease comes about due to the increased air drag of the wider tyres and the extra power needed to spin up the increased weight as Sinisha says.

Also, when you talk about testing the 1.6HDi engine car what power was it? I find the 120bhp engine to be quite good and it feels like a bigger engine when pulling from low revs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts