Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'd really appreciate a little help with this.... A friend of mine gave me his 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6THP, he had unfortunately taken the inlet off and then given up. I have figured out where most pipes etc go but I am left with one that is causing a bit of a headache! Please see pictures below. I have looked in to this a lot, I can find diagrams saying where the pipe goes (Seemingly, cylinder head cover breather), but I can find no images confirming where I think it must go. The pipe comes from the turbo wastegate solenoid

Picture 1 - this is the solenoid that the pipe comes from (Pipe 7).
Medical equipment Human body Font Machine Technology

Picture 2 - this is the offending pipe (sorry it isn't easy to see - it is the hard plastic pipe with the 90 degree bent end, the one with the black plastic clip seen clipped to it)
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Picture 3 - this is the only small breather pipe location in the head cover I can find... I suspect the pipe must go here, but how?? Is my pipe missing a part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
?

I hope the above makes sense.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Matt

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you
Hi, I don't know much about these engines in particular but I have had a bit to do with engine plumbing.

From the images I would say you are possibly missing a connecting pipe for the vacuum hose and a hose on the crankcase recirculation system.

Look up the car on the link below and check the diagrammes for missing bits. One thing though is that it's not always logical where to find the right diagramme - e.g. the vacuum pump plumbing is under electrical components > brake servo.

Good luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm wondering if it's part 20 in the diagramme, it looks like it has a larger clip connector to the rocker cover. There are five 1.6 THP variants so I don't know if I have the right one. This is under Engine > Air and fuel suppy > Inj calculator sensor

Font Motor vehicle Auto part Art Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Hermano. Sorry for my delayed response - I've been working crazy hours.
I think you are correct. I believe that the pipe goes to the place shown on the rocker cover in picture 3. I haven't managed to find my engine exactly in the link. I have been trying to decode the VIN number to see if it helps, all I have established is that it is a 308XSE with an EP6DT engine, it is a 5 door saloon, 2008. 150HP 1.6THP. I cannot find that engine code specifically in the link, there is EP6CDT but the rocker cover does not have this connection as shown in picture 3. Unfortunately, my VIN number is not recognised in the search facility.
I haven't managed to find the solenoid that I showed in picture 1 in the link - I'll keep looking. Have you seen it anywhere? I have found the 2 port one that controls fuel tank venting, but not the 3 port one - hopefully if I can find the 3 port one it will confirm it for sure. Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
206 Posts
No worries, you needn't be concerned about replying quickly to me!

OK so I've looked up your engine exactly I think but the diagramme isn't much better. I've attached it here along with the part numbers and an image of the solenoid you are looking for which appears to be located somewhere under the intake manifold (which looks like it has been disconnected from the engine in your photo?)
You can use the part numbers on eBay and the like to find parts if you need them or just get an actual picture of what it is you're trying to find on the engine which can be helpful sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
At least on my 2003 406 HDi Pierre conveniently mounted all the vacuum servos on the firewall! Yours looks much harder to track and trace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Hermano :)(y).
I’ve been researching some more off the back of your information. I have found from other threads that the system is similar to the diesel vacuum system used on other models. Pipe 8 – this confirms that the pipe is for sure pipe 20 in your diagram, and that it connects to the vacuum solenoid as suspected!
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

I found this on ebay, it shows the correct pipe end. For sure I am missing the end of my pipe...
Font Gas Bicycle part Tool Automotive lighting

I’m still not sure where that flared end of the pipe will connect to – none of the diagrams I can find show the fitting on the rocker cover to confirm that it does connect there. I have found pictures of rocker covers that include the fitting, but I can find no images that actually show a pipe connected! (Please see pictures below, this is where I THOUGHT this mystery pipe would connect to)

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Engineering

Font Auto part Automotive design Art Carmine

I’m starting to think that I may have to contact Peugeot to find out for sure, now that you’ve kindly helped me to get this far.
All the information I can find SAYS that this pipe connects to the rocker cover, but none show it. None of the diagrams we have been able to find show the fitting in the centre of the rocker cover that I suspect – maybe mines an early engine and they have since redesigned it?

Thanks for all of your help Hermano – I will keep looking, and I will try Peugeot. If I can find out I will update this thread because I know what a pain in the arse this has been.

Maybe someone with a 1.6THP engine will miraculously swoop in and post a picture of this bastard pipe ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good work! On most modern cars the hoses and pipes are pretty nicely tailored so worse case scenario, as long as you're not missing a hose, is have a good look around where the pipe nicely routes to and see if there's a fitting it fits. Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
That pipe 20 should connect to the injection calculation sensor (part 5 in the diagramme I posted) which is mounted on the end of the rocker cover and underneath that top cover (1 in your diagramme) it looks like.
I have never seen a vacuum pipe connected to the rocker cover as the last thing you would want is oil vapour contamination of the vacuum lines so I'd stop looking there. Why that first diagramme in your post says a solenoid pipe is connected to the crankcase ventilation system doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Hermano! If I wake up early enough I'll check before work in the morning.
I wasn't expecting it to connect to a part that carried oil in the cover.... These things have some stupid fancy cover with diaphragms and other such nonsense - if you check out the 3rd picture in my last post and focus on the central Left-hand image - parts 7-10 show a spring-biased diaphragm that may control something in the cover's breather system. My cover has been bastardised by the previous owner so I'm not really sure lol... I'm just waiting for a new cover to arrive.

I wont really care what the hell is going on in there if you are correct though - I will let you know! Thanks again (y)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wonder if that thing you've circled is some kind of safety valve in case the crankcase circulation system builds up too much pressure for some reason which would be catastrophic if the pressure wasn't released - oil would be blowing out all over the place! My tractor blew a piston ring and so the compression pressure leaked into the crankcase - it blew the dipstick out and there was a fountain of oil that came out of the dipstick tube and it effectively drained most of the oil in a few moments. Exciting!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm going to look at a mate's 308 petrol. Not sure if it has the same engine but I'll try and take some photos for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts