Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I just purchased another 407, this time a 3.0 v6 fully equipped!! I couldnt resist it... It was very close I couldnt drive home though cause the seller informed me there occasionally was a problem with the starter moror when engine is hot..well, i took it for a spin and all was great, paid and was gonna head home and just a click...
Click cluck click but no turning of the engine. Then the seller told me it use to be ok after 10-15mins. We waited an hour before we could start her and to me it seem like mere luck...
He said he had already tried another battery and checked fuses and all.
To me it sounds like the starter motor is caput?
Any other ideas are very appreciated!
Good night folks!
Hjalle

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
before buying a new starter motor Run a seperate earth from the Engine to the body & or the battery V- terminal & check the connections on the starter Motor It could be a bad earth

·
Registered
230 Posts
Was going to say same as above also - I have just had the same issue on my missis's Citroen. After a new clutch was put in, the starting was a bit hit and miss, with just clicking.

Checked under the bonnet and found an earth hadn't been connected tightly back to gearbox housing when put back together.

Worth a look I guess.

Best of luck bud

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I will bring a cable today and try as suggested.
Anyone knowing where the starter is located? I just bought this one and havent cecked at all but hop it is easily accessible?
Cheers,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no!
I ran a cable from engine to chassi, no start...
Then an additional cable from engine straight to negative battery, no start
just click.

The engine started once colder, after around an hour and half...
I could not locate the starter from above without going orthopedic, i guess I have to lift the car, the issue is only that its gonna be expensive as the garage charge per minute and i have to wait at least an hour...

Is it common for the starter to only functon when cold when its on the death row?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The 2.0 HDi is prone to startermotor failure.

It's often the same symptoms, starts ok with cold engine, but with hot engine the starter might just click, and if really bad you burn the starter motor fuse in the under-hood fuse box.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have ordered a new starter now. And gasket and nuts for the fwd pre-cat that apparently need to get loose for replacing starter.
I'll let u know when its done.
Cheers,

Hjalle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the starter today....voila! it starts easily now...
No need to remove the fwd cat...lucky me cause the nuts are on the upper side blocked by radiators....puuuuhhh
I had bunkered up with fresh trans oil and motor oil but that mission failed...i did not have a 24mm spanner, only sockets...not space enough....:(
And the bloody transmission has a 17mm inverted socket to drain....:(
They really dont want people to serice their cars on their own.....:(
Next time i will get all I need...
Cheers,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday I went to the gas station. Filled up and then ..... nothing....it only clicked...clicksound sounded to come from under dashboard inside the car..
I had to tow it home cause it was dead the whole evening...:(
Now today, it started normally!!!!
Is it really eating starters or can it be something else? I only drove for 4 years and appr. 20000km with this brand new valeo starter i fitted 2014....
I think i will put the car on ramp and check all connectors on the starter to rule that out but it is not so pleasant to have an unreliable car with automatic gearbox.....:(
Thankful for any ideas...
Cheers
Hjalmar

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
V6 starters are pretty small but rarely break i doubt very much the motor is the real issue the underbonnet fusebox has a relay INSIDE IT that triggers the starter these can sometimes go bad it is triggered from fuse no 8 it could be faulty.

Bad earths are usually the culprit though i have had loads of v6 engined peugeots and renaults over the years and only ever needed 1 starter in all that time my espace V6 is 18 years old and still on its original starter as is our 406 v6 its the same starter as your 407 !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will check all these earth connections and the fusebox as suggested....i hope the starter and solenoid are still ok.
When i service the car with oil n filter i will check those connections as well.., i will update the post when i know more....
Thanks
Hjalmar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts