Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I have a problem with my V-reg 206 petrol (1.2L?) 206. It has developed a fault which leads to the engine suddenly "running away" for up to a minute before suddenly returning to normal operation. It happens when the engine is warm and under no abnormal stress. It can happen when the clutch is engaged or disengaged. In the former case it's particularly scarey, of course.

My local garage has taken a look at it and tracked the problem to the throttle bypass system. The stepper motor does not appear to be the problem (it does not have old worm screw arrangement) but the ECU is not showing a fault on their tester. For the moment we have disconnected the ECU from the throttle bypass, which removes the over-revving but now of course means that the engine has a tendency to stall, particualrly when cold.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? I hate the idea of replacing the ECU on a car of this age. Could it be a problem with the temperature or other input to the ECU being faulty?

Any suggestions about where to turn next would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lampsh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some sort of progress

Thanks, Sym.

This week I took it in to the main Peugeot dealer in Andover and they slapped it on their "special" diagnostic machine, which did find "an intermittent fault" on the stepper motor. They claim to have "re-initialized and matched the ECU to the motor" and fixed the fault for now.

However, they did say that there was a slight misfire which may mean that the coil pack is faulty and could have "spiked the stepper motor" so they wanted to replace the coil set etc etc.

Sounds like "we don't know how we fixed it, but we did. We would like you to fund our investigations so we can find out how we did it." so I'm going to call it quits - at least for now.

Cheers,

Martin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.