Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to post about my recent issues with my 208 which may help others but also to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Ok so last year i started to get a slight shudder from my car when accelerating, it wasn't all the time which made things more difficult. Before Christmas I had the engine management light come on and i had a total catalytic converter failure. To compound this during 2016 the car was in my opinion drinking oil. I was adding 3-4 litres between services (10,000 miles max) but Peugeot has the stance that this engine uses oil so 1 litre to 1,000 miles would be acceptable. It seems high but i'm no mechanic so cant disagree.

In the last 250 miles however I have now added 2 litres and sent it to the dealership for an emergency assessment today.

Apparently its possible either the valve stem seals may have gone or alternatively it could be the piston rings. The dealership has however suggested its a possible full engine replacement at up to £5k. I'm now putting it to test for 100 miles for them to see the exact usage. They also said that the shudder was the car potentially trying to burn oil but being unsuccessful which does make sense to me.

The catalytic converter issue is becoming clearer as some wise person told me that using unusually high volumes of oil can lead to a build up on the cat which causes it to over heat and crack, hence i'm now thinking that that was the start of the symptoms for something more major.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Firstly is engine replacement really likely to be £5k? secondly has anyone else experienced this with their 208 and what was the final outcome? I have been told by Peugeot this is not the only car they have seen this happen to.

Any help gratefully received.

Kind Regards,
Dem

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I'd be tempted to seek some legal advice as to whether it could be considered as having failed within the warranty period and should have been resolved earlier. Maybe it is the case that the failed cat and oil usage was enough of an indicator that something more serious was wrong with the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be tempted to seek some legal advice as to whether it could be considered as having failed within the warranty period and should have been resolved earlier. Maybe it is the case that the failed cat and oil usage was enough of an indicator that something more serious was wrong with the car.
Very valid point. I think that maybe my best bet.

Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi , I had a problem with a mainNissan dealership a couple of years ago, basically my car should of been recalled as my model had an issue with the timing belt needing altering, the main dealer said they'd done it ( 3 weeks after I'd bought the car!!), so after a lot of hassle , they put me a new engine in , but I had to get trading standards involved, and also wrote a letter to the head of the group , but it does show sometimes you can get results from these large organisations, good luck and hope this gets resolved

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You haven't told us what engine we are talking about ?

I just find it ridiculous that a Dealer would recommend that you spend £5K having a new engine fitted to a four year old car that`s covered 50K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.