Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 plate 307 SW 2.0 HDI 136 BHP
Hi guys please please can someone help......... I'm desperate .......
I bought the above vehicle as a run around for my music gear a week or so ago and nothing but issues ..... When I'm driving it it seems to lose power as though it is about to stop but then it comes back ... Added to this when I accelerate I have black smoke coming out of the exhaust .... So far this is what a mechanic has done --
New Oil, Air Filter, Fuel Filter --- Taken off the EGR and cleaned it but not replaced with a new one (yet)...
But here is an issue --- The guy who sold me the car (a friend - well lol) had to replace the ECU )he blew the brains of the last one by disconnecting the battery too soon) -- he's put one on but the milage shown on the clock has gone to 159,000 rather than 117000 that it should be - I know that's not the issue but I'm wondering if the ECU change is causing the major power loss at random times and black smoke ...... Where - who and how do I update the ECU - I'm based near Leeds - How much ??
Also at idle the car rev meter stays at 8 (800) rpm and doesn't drop down to 0 rpm ..... - ideas ???
Please guys any ideas - We've put it on a computer and these were the faults (hoping some were created by each other and not really 9 faults) --- Any clues here ?
P0098 - HDI AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR
P2408 - FUEL CAP SENSOR
P0490 - EGR EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION
P1598 - COOLING CIRCUITBYPASS ELECTRO VALVE SHORT CIRCUIT
P1461 - EGR VALVE
P0102 - MAF SENSOR OR INTAKE AIR LEAK
P0113 - IAT SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT
P1447 - ELC PRESSURE SENSOR DPF/FAP/PEF
P1198 - INJECTORS CONTROL FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Any ideas at all ? Anyone ??
Cheers
Karl

·
Registered
441 Posts
04 plate 307 SW 2.0 HDI 136 BHP
Hi guys please please can someone help......... I'm desperate .......
I bought the above vehicle as a run around for my music gear a week or so ago and nothing but issues ..... When I'm driving it it seems to lose power as though it is about to stop but then it comes back ... Added to this when I accelerate I have black smoke coming out of the exhaust .... So far this is what a mechanic has done --
New Oil, Air Filter, Fuel Filter --- Taken off the EGR and cleaned it but not replaced with a new one (yet)...
But here is an issue --- The guy who sold me the car (a friend - well lol) had to replace the ECU )he blew the brains of the last one by disconnecting the battery too soon) -- he's put one on but the milage shown on the clock has gone to 159,000 rather than 117000 that it should be - I know that's not the issue but I'm wondering if the ECU change is causing the major power loss at random times and black smoke ...... Where - who and how do I update the ECU - I'm based near Leeds - How much ??
Also at idle the car rev meter stays at 8 (800) rpm and doesn't drop down to 0 rpm ..... - ideas ???
Please guys any ideas - We've put it on a computer and these were the faults (hoping some were created by each other and not really 9 faults) --- Any clues here ?
P0098 - HDI AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR
P2408 - FUEL CAP SENSOR
P0490 - EGR EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION
P1598 - COOLING CIRCUITBYPASS ELECTRO VALVE SHORT CIRCUIT
P1461 - EGR VALVE
P0102 - MAF SENSOR OR INTAKE AIR LEAK
P0113 - IAT SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT
P1447 - ELC PRESSURE SENSOR DPF/FAP/PEF
P1198 - INJECTORS CONTROL FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Any ideas at all ? Anyone ??
Cheers
Karl
You mention changed ecu, that I would have thought has to come from an identical car, fuel system/bhp etc

get someone with planet on it and they can grab the vin number off the ecu in place and run it through Peugeot service box to read spec.
also they would need your original vin number off the car plate to compare.

its poss that some of these faults exist because of the incorrect parameters in the ecu thats been fitted

I'm not sure and probably barking up the wrong tree here but I would have thought it was a start?

good luck:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you -- I'm sure it was off an identical car .... I'm based near Leeds -- any idea who does this and how much ?
Best
Kj

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Wakefield so 25/30 mins away --- here's my mobile 07970244674
Appreciated as I'm really down about this ...
Best
Kj

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Just looking at the fault codes - these are all fairly common faults on a 307. As it happens, I plugged my mates 307 SW into PP this morning and it kicked out errors similar to yours - intake temp, EGR issues and so on.

If your particulate filter is blocked, it could be causing issues with your EGR valve and/or related electrics, which in turn could be giving false signals between it and the intake/MAF.

If the filter is causing the EGR issues, perhaps this is because your fuel cap sensor isn't working properly, causing issues with the additive system and clogging the filter.

The P1198 could be causing the loss of power - to me that is the nastiest looking error.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
Thanks for all that ---- I've spoke to the guy who I got the car off and replaced the ECU -- I asked what ECU he put in and he said a 16v 2.0 hdi one --- but he didn't know there's a 110bhp and 136 bhp 2.0 hdi ! Therefore is there two different ECU 's and/or the software is wrong as he may have put the wrong ECU in ? Would that cause the problem ?
By the way this 'new' ECU has transformed the mileage from 119,000 to 159,000 ---anyway the genuine mileage can be returned ? This morning when starting the Stop sign on the dash kept flashing for s few minutes - car sluggish and black smoke when accelerating yet again .....
All the above may not be the problem and it could be mechanical ?
Best
Kj

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
There's also a 90bhp...

It may be that the parameters conflict between the car and ECU's, as mooseman said. Incorrect inputs and outputs will cause things like pumps and valves to go haywire.

But, it's just as reasonable to expect a mechanical issue or two, especially where DPF and EGR are involved.

Do you know which ECU was replaced? This could be an easy way of eliminating whether the computer system is at fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is what I just got back - (my car is 307sw 2.0 hdi 136bhp)
ecu next to battery and bsi behind glove box

307 sw with seimens ecu with valeo bsi fuse box with key.they are all coded together.CANT just buy ecu cos car will never start.
Also why is my car running at 8(00) rpm when idle and not 0 rpm ? - is this part of the issue ?
Cheers
Kj

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The car will idle at something between 800 and 1,000 rpm - it's the engine that's turning. 800rpm is normal. If it misfires, then something needs looking at.

The reason I ask about the ECU is that my 307 has something like 20 different ECU's - each one controls a specific part of the car, feeds all the info into the BSI, which is the "hub" of all the information gathered and processed by the ECU's.

I'll text you in a bit :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No misfires -- just sluggish and then will pick up if you really push it hard and turbo comes in at higher rpm -- but by doing that it smokes quite badly from exhaust --- I also get kangaroo petrol randomly when doing constant speed and virtually total loss of power but it keeps going at a low speed -- strange -- then it will improve ....
This morning the stop light in the dash kept flashing for a few minutes then went off ....
I'm so frustrated as this is becoming a costly nightmare ....

·
Registered
441 Posts
No misfires -- just sluggish and then will pick up if you really push it hard and turbo comes in at higher rpm -- but by doing that it smokes quite badly from exhaust --- I also get kangaroo petrol randomly when doing constant speed and virtually total loss of power but it keeps going at a low speed -- strange -- then it will improve ....
This morning the stop light in the dash kept flashing for a few minutes then went off ....
I'm so frustrated as this is becoming a costly nightmare ....

you have the completely wrong ecu in that car and thats going to cause you these headaches.

All the parameters and readings that the ecu is looking for are going to be completely haywire..I'm surprised its actually running without dropping into limp mode.

the only way around this is going to be a complete exact donor ecu (s) from an exact match car from the original ecu. you need to marry up the fuel systems as a few are used by peugeot.

thats why you need to get original vin through service box to help start to know where to look when choosing a donor. Even then you might need to get the car into peugeot or a decent mappers to reinstall all original values before you should even look into any faults.

I feel your heartache but once done you should have a good car but start at the beginning and don't throw money at parts you probably don't need!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
You DO NOT have the wrong ecu as the 16 valve engines use a different system to the 8 valve 90hp and 110 hp engines and your car runs.

Your issues are most likely DPF related but you need someone who understands the workings of the system to get to bottom of it reading faults wont fix it.

Most of the faults listed are symptoms of each other and not the actual reason for your problem.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Update on Karl's car:

When the car was plugged into PP, it picked up a different VIN number compared to that in the windscreen. I didn't have chance to check all other number locations. Advice was to check all numbers on the car.

I changed the VIN on PP to that found on the windscreen, picked up errors and codes, but wouldn't allow me to read Engine Management ECU error codes. Never had this issue before. I'm wondering whether the conflict between VINs and build code confused planet?

Checked the 2 VIN numbers on Servicebox - the number in the windscreen seems legit, the number PP detected is from a hatchback, not an SW. All engine spec was the same, gearbox is slightly different, wheel size is different.

The smoke/performance was almost certainly particulate filter related. Additive level low, PEF clogged, fuel cap sensor faulty, EGR problems, MAF problems. Advice was to get the full exhaust system gutted out and serviced.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
WHY change the vin its most likely had the ecu set changed and the vin is for the doner car !!

Changing the vin stored will make the radio beep and IF at a later date the keys need coding they need coded using the ORIGINAL vin in the BSI as this is the one matching the 4 digit access code !

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
WHY change the vin its most likely had the ecu set changed and the vin is for the doner car !!

Changing the vin stored will make the radio beep and IF at a later date the keys need coding they need coded using the ORIGINAL vin in the BSI as this is the one matching the 4 digit access code !
Apologies - I didn't make myself clear.

When PP asked me to confirm the VIN, I selected "no", and entered the other VIN to see what info I'd get back from the car.

The VIN hasn't been altered, rewritten or anything, the car left in the sane condition as it arrived.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Your not understanding what planet is asking then it read the vin CORRECTLY from the BSI you should have said yes it may well have overwritten it now with what you input !!

Stored VIN should never be changed.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Both VINs were checked - nothing (no numbers, no settings, no parameters) altered.

We looked into both VIN numbers to explore in detail what was/wasn't happening with the car. The car left with PP reading a different VIN to that physically identified at the windscreen, which was exactly as it arrived (ie. nothing altered).

That is, the VIN found on the windscreen was checked, as well as the VIN that PP picked up. 2 separate VINs, 2 separate checks. Did a global test under the car VIN, closed down PP, started it up again, new global test under ECU VIN.

As it happens, the ECU "issue" wasn't the cause of the mechanical problems with the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts