Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was removing the steeringwheel and steering rack to be able to remove the brake servo, I got into problems.

Removing the steering wheel went well, but I certainly should not have unscrewed the bolt completely, as I had to use some force and the steering-wheel flew off and some other parts behind it also came loose.

So now I wonder how the hell do I mount this coms2003 unit correctly again?
I've not been able to completely understand how the thin wire/strip shall be assembled?

I really need urgent help on this one as I was hoping to put it together again.

Two pics of how it looks now:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
No its not springloaded but IF you get it back together safely it needs centred or it will break the cable when you turn full lock

You need to get it in then turn till it feels tight then back it off enough to be able to do full lock safely without going tight you need to be sure the white section does not snap it as it turns

As i say its fidly i done one my son broke in same way but its working took 2 tries though :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Shall I wrap it one turn around the big white thing, and some more thurs around the small black part?

Or maybe two rounds around the white and the rest around the black, smaller one (in center)?

I tried one around the white one, but it seemed to be tight and I wasn't able to assemble it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My guess would be to carry on winding it on the same way the remainder is in the photo. The problem you will have is finding the middle when it's all together. Otherwise, when you turn the wheel, it will snap the wire off, and the air bag light will come on. There is a seller on eBay offering to repair them for about £25. Last time I looked. I brought a new unit for mine. Didn't see the point in messing about with the old one, as it had another fault too. I have two now, and will be putting them on eBay with other parts, as a job lot. S/R. My new unit cost about £150.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I just snapped the "wire" :/

I wound it two rounds around the white one before I put the black center part on.

Seemed to work quite ok, and might actually have worked if I was a bit more careful to try to find the center position.

Now I certainly need a new one...

Does anyone know how many turns the 407 has lock-to-lock?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll see if this one will work, if not I'll get in touch...

Still quite angry about the whole situation. Haynes did not state not to unscrew the bolt completely.. and certainly should have. Didn't really take much that coms unit.

D

·
0 Posts
I've tried this. Its pretty impossible to get the ribbon back in the correct position. It snaps when you turn the wheel.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
343 Posts
You are right Haynes does not indeed tell you to leave the bolt on. I had to remove my steering wheel on my 307 which was tricky. However I carefully tapped round the whole steering wheel from behind using a small wooden mallet and managed to free it without any tug of wars ;)

The most damage I inflicted was snapping part of the plastic on the top of the COMMS2000 when I put the steering wheel back on. I was lucky it was not the airbag wiring or cables.

You win some you lose some

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Recieved the new (used) coms from eBay today.

Slightly different wiper stalk, but other than that more or less the same, different serial/part numbers on the sticker though.

Mounted it, and after I managed to figure out in which position the steering angle sensor needed to be at "zero" to be calibrated even the ESP started to work.

Lesson learned, but car finally in good working order again :D

·
6,242 Posts
I've tried this. Its pretty impossible to get the ribbon back in the correct position. It snaps when you turn the wheel.

Sent from my GT-S5690
I was taught if you think ring has been turned and ribbon moved, turn fully clockwise carefully until starts to tighten and then three turns anti clockwise and line up tape marks if still present. Touch wood not snapped one yet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts