Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy this is turning into a drama! The story so far...
Temp gauge reading low, engine not warming up - replaced temp sensor and thermostat (which also has a temp sensor!) Thermostat from AliExpress.
Then
Temp gauge works, engine heats properly but temp gauge drives into the red (usually on first morning run) and comes back to normal after fans kick on. May not do it again all day, sometimes it does. I don't think the engine. is actually overheating.
And
The thermostat housing from AliExpress is weeping and I'm concerned it may fail catastrophically so I intend to replace it.
So
I buy a Tridon thermostat from a NZ parts store on-line (not a store stocked item) and Tridon and Store both indicate it is the correct one. It arrives today and the housing is the same BUT it doesn't have the temp sensor bit on the housing! Arrrghhhh!!!

Help please! Why does this thing have TWO temp sensors in close proximity? Can I disconnect one or swap them or use one and make a connection to both sensor feeds?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Haynes manual is a bit vague on this. According to them most of the engines fitted have only one temp sensor and the ones that have two are some 1.4 and 1.6 engines! As regards the thermostat it states that it is in the coolant outlet pipe on the petrol model 2.0L and on the diesel 2.0 litre in the housing on the head! So I am confused as to what you have as it seems to differ from Haynes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only ever found Haynes manuals to be general guidelines, not accurate representations of what might actually be in the car. This is to be expected as manufacturers often make design changes during a manufacturing year that a printed Haynes manual can't keep up with.

Anyway, the situation is as I have described it and bloody stupid - merde Pierre!

If I could get a wiring diagramme I could possibly figure this out. Or I may have to borrow my mate's OBD scanner, pull the plugs and see what fault codes get generated. Or?

This 307 is the worst Pug I've ever owned and is a POS. Soon as I can it's down the road to some other sucker.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Many 2 litres had 2 sensors 1 was an overheat sensor and the other the actual temp sensor later cars have 1 sounds like you have a pre 2005 model they did indeed alter things a few times older cars like 306s with aircon could have 3 sensors !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks reliable. It seems like this was changed later as there is a "conversion" kit with a "normal" thermostat housing and a blanking plug for the temp sensor connector on the old housing. It would be nice to know what this sensor is for - fan kick in? Temp gauge? Temp info for ECU to control engine? If it can be blanked off then WTF have it? I'm wondering if the blank leaves the circuit open or closed or with some resistance value.

Here's the kit:Water thermostat citroen c4 c5 peugeot 307 407 1.8 2.0 2.2 1338a0 1338.e4 1338e4 | eBay

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I disconnected the plug on the thermostat and ran the engine at 2000rpm. The temp gauge worked and the fans kicked in so I'm going to replace the thermostat with a housing that doesn't have the temp sensor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update 2: Changed thermostat and housing (which has no temp sensor) and left connector that went to temp sensor in old housing disconnected. Everything works fine - heater, temp gauge, radiator fans kick in - all good! Used the recommended Tridon part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts