Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice if possible. Mycar is a 2005 307 1.6 hdi. Over the last few days it's had a service and both tie rods changed but nothing else. Today I left to go to see my parents in clacton. About 20 minutes in, and as I was accelerating from a stop I heard a pop sound which sounded very close to me. Since this the car has lost a huge amount of power and acceleration. About 15 later the engine management light came on. My dad cane out to me and noticed the turbo outlet pipe ( top right one) had a slight play so was loosing pressure. Tightened this up and the management light went out. However the car is still servely under powered. I can't see any pipes missing and all are tight in the engine bay, turbo is spooling up fine. One thing I have noticed is if I pump the break pedal I can hear a loud sucking noise which sounds like it's coming from behind the dark. Any help / advice would be hugely appreciated:)
Many thanks
Jim

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
The pop was a boost pipe coming off somewhere or 1 is split

The vacuum you hear is normal they all do it you just dont normally hear it as your not looking for it :)

Pumping the brake releases vacuum.

Check ALL the boost pipes 1 is burst or off completely

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. Well I managed to buy a green flag guy a coffee and he had a look but his diagnostic brought up p1104. He scratched his head but couldn't work it out. What he did say was the turbo boost pipe ( the flexi rubber one attached to the hard plastic resonator ) was sucking itself inwards when the car was reved. I decided to try and get it to my parents as now 8 miles away. But then disaster. Engine management light again came on with a message saying something about anti pollution fault. Followed by a pop and a loud hiss. Hazards on I pulled over to a lot of smoke. Popped the bonnet to see two pipes smouldering. See pick. I think my short love of my Peugeot maybe over :( what with the price of new turbo and these burnt pipes

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Thanks mate. Well I managed to buy a green flag guy a coffee and he had a look but his diagnostic brought up p1104. He scratched his head but couldn't work it out. What he did say was the turbo boost pipe ( the flexi rubber one attached to the hard plastic resonator ) was sucking itself inwards when the car was reved. I decided to try and get it to my parents as now 8 miles away. But then disaster. Engine management light again came on with a message saying something about anti pollution fault. Followed by a pop and a loud hiss. Hazards on I pulled over to a lot of smoke. Popped the bonnet to see two pipes smouldering. See pick. I think my short love of my Peugeot maybe over :( what with the price of new turbo and these burnt pipes
The fault code relates to the MAF sensor, proper title is "MAF Ground Malfunction".

Looking at the image, it looks as though one of the DPF pressure sensor pipes has blown.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jimmy. Any idea what could cause that. About 2 minutes previous the engine management lights came on and on the digital dash it read some Iike " ANTI POLLUTION FAUT", but it went so fast I just see it. Then about a minute later a loud hiss sound. As ''tis point the car couldn't maintain any speed and by luck a park layby came up. The pipes in the photo show what was particularly on fire or smouldering. Luckily I had a Bottle of water in the boot and put it out. The flames have totally blackened the turbo and most of what was around it

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It's hard to say without being there at the time.

First thoughts would be heat from the DPF coupled with a pressure build up in the filter, but as you were only 20 mins into your journey, it doesn't seem like the DPF would be hot enough.

The photo isn't giving too much away, it looks like it could be coming from the DPF, but it's not too clear.

·
6,083 Posts
The pipes have become heat hardened and failed/broken up the smoke is often just exhaust fume or pipe melting on hot CAT/DPF.

I have seen it a couple of fords and peugeots. I changed the pipe for some general high temp silicone hose and they have been fine so far

Also often logs DPF efficiency trouble code

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the state it's made of the front of the engine and turbo I think personally it's a write off. It's sad asthe car itself is in extremely good condition. But looking at its current value and cost of repairs I think it outways its current market value :(

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
You cant even see the turbo on these its under a heatshield !!

With your added info i think its probable your DPF is blocked and the pressure build up inside is stalling the turbo and blew the sensor pipes off

Its easily sorted out by someone who understands the engines

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The engine and turbo can handle the heat caused by a lick of flame. And the hot exhaust gas would quickly cool down.

I've seen cars with the heat shields missing, either because they've rattled off the bolts or they've been binned.

Replacing the naff pipes isn't expensive or too challenging. But you'll need to check the DPF for blockages, and check the turbo impeller is still secure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your advice. The car is currently stranded as my wonderful breakdown service are saying they'll only recover it 10 miles lol. If the dpf is blocked I've head of people removing them and hand cleaning with the likes of ajet wash. Regarding the turbo this is the pic I took when I removed the air pipe. No fins at all :(

Attachments

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
So it needs a new turbo the DPF cleaned AND the reason for the DPF getting blocked in the first place needs to be investigated it may also need the fluid filled in the tank and checking of the cap sensor etc but it can be fixed only you can decide the most expensive part is the turbo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi to all. Firstly sorry for the delay. I'm saddened to say my car is no more. After days of arguing with the breakdown Comp to get it recovered. I found today that it has been stolen. Who ever took it either towed or took it on a low loader. For what the cars worth, plus excess it's not worth trying to claim :(
Many thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all your help. Your a great bunch of peeps . Not heard anything about my car, not even pinged an anpr so it's obviously hidden up somewhere, that's if it's still in one bit :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts