Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new here and unfortunately my first post is not a very happy one.

My apologies, this is quite lengthy.

I bought my 206 4 years ago next month, I own the car outright.

Here is my problem:

A few weeks ago she broke down. The RAC took it to the closest garage, I went away on holiday for a week and came back to be told they couldn't fix it.

I had a friend tow it to another garage nearby on the advice of the first garage and had a diagnostic ran on it.

Turns out the coil has went and there has been a power surge and the ECU is fried.

They tell me its an uneconomical repair, as a new ECU would cost over £700 not inc. VAT or fitting or anything. This is confirmed by 2 pug garages.

I find someone who will take the car off me for scrap for £200, however this will only jsut cover the amount I've spent getting the thing diagnosed.

However, I am a student and didn't particularly want to buy a new car and plus, I like my 206!

So, last ditch attempt, I called Peugeot Ecosse in Bo'ness.
They reckon they can fix, it goes in to them and they confirm that they can fix it.

The overall costs for all this is just under £500, which is A LOT but that includes diagnostic from 2nd garage, getting the car towed to Ecosse, replacement ECU, new coil, labour and VAT.
So i would have been prepared to part with that rather than part with my pug.

However,

My MOT is due in about 3 weeks, so Ecosse offered to give it a quick once over just to give an idea of what work would be needing done.
Quite a lot.
Brakes, hand brake, tyre, bulb, axle bearings, something to do with the steering.... basically it won't be cheap and probably not far off last years £412 MOT.
And thats just the things they could look at without the car running.

This brings the cost up to just under a grand.
My little pug just isn't worth that much money.

As I said, i am a student. I have just finished a full time summer placement and I may get a part time job from it but I won't find out for a few weeks.
Which means I do not know how much money I will have at my disposal.

If I must get a new car, I would rather get something on finance from a dealer so I at least get some sort of warranty, rather than buy something much cheaper outright and risk the endless list of problems I've had with my pug all over again
Arnold Clark are saying I'd get an ok amount as a trade in, SMART are saying I'd get buttons and not to bother fixing the car as it would go straight to auction.

I don't know what to do, I only have 3 weeks MOT left, the car is not worth putting through its MOT.
I could try and sell i privately 'sold as seen', the problem being I need it gone before the MOT is up and I need a new car straight away (there is no public transport to my uni from where I live).

I don't even have the slightest clue how to go about putting the car to auction.
And I'd need to get back at least £500 to cover my costs.

Basically, do I fix it or not?

·
Registered
122 Posts
All i can say mate is, what maintenance have you done for your pug throughout the year mate, don't take this the wrong way but is down too being ill-treated, you owe it to your pug to have it fixed, and when it is done ensure you look after it giving it a mini service every 6 months and a major service every 12 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is fairly well maintained... for me being a student. Prior to me going back to full time education last year it was extremely well maintained but that didn't help.

This time last year the rear wheel axle bearings had to be replaced, the main earth wire became detached, something punched a hole in the exhaust (on the downpipe which had been replaced a year prior to that), my MOT was £412 because it needed a new suspension arm.
The list of things that have gone wrong since I got the car is endless, but I never gave up!

I was told by Ecosse that the reason the ECU went is because the car was fitted with the original coil which was apparantly a bit rubbish and was replaced on most early 206's, basically its amazing it lasted this long especially with it being a cat d.

Anyway, today with a heavy heart I sold my car to one of the engineers who works at the Ecosse. I just couldn't afford to fix it and keep it running.
I walked away with £16 in my hand, after I had settled th bill thats all that was left of the money I got for it :(

I am absolutely gutted I loved that car :(

·
Registered
862 Posts
iiisecondcreep said:
The car is fairly well maintained... for me being a student. Prior to me going back to full time education last year it was extremely well maintained but that didn't help.

This time last year the rear wheel axle bearings had to be replaced, the main earth wire became detached, something punched a hole in the exhaust (on the downpipe which had been replaced a year prior to that), my MOT was £412 because it needed a new suspension arm.
The list of things that have gone wrong since I got the car is endless, but I never gave up!

I was told by Ecosse that the reason the ECU went is because the car was fitted with the original coil which was apparantly a bit rubbish and was replaced on most early 206's, basically its amazing it lasted this long especially with it being a cat d.

Anyway, today with a heavy heart I sold my car to one of the engineers who works at the Ecosse. I just couldn't afford to fix it and keep it running.
I walked away with £16 in my hand, after I had settled th bill thats all that was left of the money I got for it :(

I am absolutely gutted I loved that car :(

Sorry to hear you got rid of the 206 but by the sound of all the work that it was needing you made the right choice. :nod:

·
Registered
862 Posts
jgsheffield said:
Im gutted to say I may have got the same problem,is the ecu burning up a common fault with 206's?

Some cars have been effected by water dripping through the bonnet vents causing problems with the ecu.

·
Registered
122 Posts
try using a product called aqua-sperse, its something that can be applied directly on to the ecu, that will disperse any water or residue that may be around that location, and dry out any wiring etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts