Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to upgrade my 208 1.2 Active OEM speakers but I don't have a big budget so is it possible to just install better speakers without an amp, and what is the maximum watt that the touch screen sound system will be able to handle without installing an amp?

What are the power in watt of the OEM speakers?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
It's not so much a question of what is the maximum wattage the sound system can handle rather than what it can output. It will have a maximum output based on the power amp chips fitted. Unfortunately I have no information on the specification and without knowing which system you have I can't try and find it.

As for the speakers, it's more than just knowing what power they need to handle, you also need to know the dimensions of the speaker including the depth. I would expect a 30 watt speaker would be sufficient as this would mean the system would be able to have a total output of 120w for a 4 speaker system (6 if you include the tweeters)

Sorry I can't be of more help but no doubt someone with experience of the car will be able to provide a more usefull reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I find out the details about the sound system, all I know is it is a touch screen.

·
Registered
852 Posts
When upgrading a sound system, it's best to give an indication as to your NEEDS. What do you aim to achieve?

Louder bass? Louder treble? Louder mids? Better clarity? Punchier bass? Mellower mids?

Support for FLAC, higher MP3 bandwidth... what exactly do you want from your system that is lacking exactly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For now I would just like to know what is in the car already, where can I get the specs of the factory fitted sound system and speakers please?

It is for 208 1.2 Active (2012 model)

What i'd like to accomplish first is a louder clearer sound as the current sound doesn't go very loud and sometimes there is slight distortion when putting it loud with certain songs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
What i'd like to accomplish first is a louder clearer sound as the current sound doesn't go very loud and sometimes there is slight distortion when putting it loud with certain songs.
That could be either the stock HU (amplifier) going into clipping, distorting the sound, or the speakers being driven harder than they can handle (or a combination).

Aftermarket speakers with a bit higher power handling capability, say 75W RMS, could help with the latter and wouldn't be wasted if you then decide to go for another HU or amp.

If it's the HU/amp at fault then better speakers doesn't really help since they would just faithfully be reproducing the crap they're fed, though if you can find a set that are more sensitive (higher dB/W rating) than the stock ones, you might be able to raise the volume a bit before the HU/amp starts clipping/distorting.

Sorry, no idea on the stock gear's ratings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts