Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are threads dedicated to update versions but I'm interested in issues related to the owner's vehicle having to have the engine run for the entire update process.
For those forced to park their car outside, often on-street, how do you cope?.

Is there a way of keeping the battery charged without running the engine every time for extended periods.

(imagine the EPA 's attitude without considering security issues)

·
Registered
683 Posts
There are threads dedicated to update versions but I'm interested in issues related to the owner's vehicle having to have the engine run for the entire update process.
For those forced to park their car outside, often on-street, how do you cope?.

Is there a way of keeping the battery charged without running the engine every time for extended periods.

(imagine the EPA 's attitude without considering security issues)
It clearly says on the update screen to keep engine running this is what I have done and sit in the car while the update is going on. Not following the update instructions is the main reason people brick devices they have whatever that device maybe !

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It clearly says on the update screen to keep engine running this is what I have done and sit in the car while the update is going on. Not following the update instructions is the main reason people brick devices they have whatever that device maybe !
Ok
To me it's going to make the modern 'connected' car a two edged sword.
I can't see dealerships religiously doing it either way, due to the clogging up of the servicing area.

·
Registered
420 Posts
In Norway it is illegal to be parked and have the engine running more than necessary. I think people will be angry at me if I just stand outside the house idling for hours. Is it possible to do the software update while driving?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I agree Nagaman. Dealers are not going to want vehicles inside their workshops with engines running for ages, because if for no other reason, it's probably against health and safety regulations. Leaving them outside with engines running risks theft, particularly if the doughnuts leave the key inside the vehicle. I appreciate the engine must be running to do these updates, but jeez, what a stupid way of doing things.
My TV receives firmware and software updates direct from the manufacturer, even in standby mode. It makes me wonder why Peugeot can't remotely do the same using the car's data link.

·
Registered
683 Posts
In Norway it is illegal to be parked and have the engine running more than necessary. I think people will be angry at me if I just stand outside the house idling for hours. Is it possible to do the software update while driving?
There are some on the French forum that have done it with the car moving, just remember to turn stop/start off. It does come up with a warning something is deactivated I cant for the life of me remember what at the moment possibly lane assist.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dealers may not have to update with the engine running if they are using their diagnosis system and the OBD port.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did the update with the car moving. You can certainly do it, but you won't have access to parking sensors, rear camera, navigation, A/C and radio station control etc.... The main display (the one behind the wheel) seems to work normally.

I did not disable Start and Stop, however I drive a manual, so the "Stop" won't trigger unless I put the shift stick in neutral and release the clutch and I was careful not to do that accidentally. I would strongly suggest you to to turn it off before updating, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree Nagaman. Dealers are not going to want vehicles inside their workshops with engines running for ages, because if for no other reason, it's probably against health and safety regulations. Leaving them outside with engines running risks theft, particularly if the doughnuts leave the key inside the vehicle. I appreciate the engine must be running to do these updates, but jeez, what a stupid way of doing things.
My TV receives firmware and software updates direct from the manufacturer, even in standby mode. It makes me wonder why Peugeot can't remotely do the same using the car's data link.
Yep
It's easy to make it mandatory but the practical realities aren't able to be brushed aside by a simple instruction.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It's all about the cars electrics going into "economy mode" after about 20 minutes. All Peugeots are made to do that unfortunately. Bit of a b*gger if you want to go to a drive in movie..
Peugeot says to do it while engine running so as to avoid the system shutting down in the middle of an update.

Grumpy

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Beat me to it Grumpy. I suppose it could be possibe in software to temporarily disable eco mode but I can imagine the uproar if someone tried updating with a run down battery and either completed the car but was unable to start the engine because the battery level had dropped too much or even worse, the battery level dropped low enough to cause the update to fail and corrupt the system requiring a trip to the dealer to resolve.

Then there is the point about doing the update whilst on a journey. There are occasional unforseen reasons where you may be required to turn the engine off. In the UK if you are stopped by the police for any reason be it speeding or a random check they will require you to turn the engine off. I'm guessing this is to make it less likely you will do a runner but whatever the reason, I doubt they would allow you to keep the engine running because you are running a system update.

As for dealers workshops doing the update. It used to be possible (and likely still is) to turn eco mode off within the diagnostics so I guess they may be able to run an update without the engine running but even if they also need to have the engine running they will have exhaust extraction systems to keep the workshop atmosphere safe. They will also have prior knowledge that this will be carried out through the booking system and this would likely be taken into account to prevent clogging the workshop.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think as is happening in France some dealers will want to charge for doing the updates if the driver wants the latest between services. Dealers don't get paid by Peugeot for doing them.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Anyone know what would happen if the engine got turned off midway through an update? Would the system revert back to the original software version, or be completely unusable?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Anyone know what would happen if the engine got turned off midway through an update? Would the system revert back to the original software version, or be completely unusable?
At a guess the system would become a paper weight, bricked. What usually happens on firmware updates the old firmware is deleted to make way for the new, Some things do have original firmware stored on a separate chip and a recovery programme will bring it back, I don't want to find out if the Peugeot system has or hasn't got this.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
As said, it's all to do with the vehicle going into Eco mode and turning off things like the display after some minutes.
This should mean that the stop start system shouldn't be a problem as the vehicle isn't in stop mode for long enough for the system to go to sleep.

·
Registered
462 Posts
At a guess the system would become a paper weight, bricked. What usually happens on firmware updates the old firmware is deleted to make way for the new, Some things do have original firmware stored on a separate chip and a recovery programme will bring it back, I don't want to find out if the Peugeot system has or hasn't got this.
As it happened to anyone please?
People say it will "brick", what ever that means, but does it or is it put around to frighten us not to upgrade.

·
Registered
765 Posts
As it happened to anyone please?
People say it will "brick", what ever that means, but does it or is it put around to frighten us not to upgrade.
Brick means it will become as useful as a 'brick' as in dead, inaminate, no longer of any use and unrecoverable. I doubt anyone has 'bricked' a new 3008 yet, but updating in this way has been around for about the last 10 years so there will be examples of 508,308, 2008 etc drivers who have bricked there systems. I know people have done it to DS5's etc.

Software update were always viewed as something you only do if you have a known fault and the software clearly fixes it, then the dealer would do it under warranty to rectify said fault, but otherwise you don't update just for a whim. My DS5 is on the software it came with.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I always update firmware on everything I have router, TV, phone etc. In my View updates are done by the manufacturer for a reason speed tweaks, added features, security fixes etc. I have yet to brick anything and IMHO there are two causes to brick a device user error or defective nvram where the firmware cannot be written back to it or gets corrupted. Updates can go wrong on anything 99.9% of time the update is successful, if you were unlucky and yours did brick I think I would just play stupid and say I started the car and it was like this. Peugeot must be confident the updates can be done by the end user or they wouldn't make them available for download, reading this and French forums I have not seen anyone that has bricked their system.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
reading this and French forums I have not seen anyone that has bricked their system.
Probably because they have done as advised and kept the engine running while doing the update as I'm pretty confident no-one wants to volunteer to be the first.

I would expect that if a 'bad' firmware was the cause for bricking a system then it would be Peugeot's responsibility to rectify the situation at their cost regardless of who did the upgrade but if the cause was proven to be down to the car going into eco mode beacause the instructions regarding keeping the engine running hadn't been followed then I guess it would result in a rather large bill at the end.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts