Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 40 miles before my 2.2HDi 406 estate turned 100,000 miles the engine warning light came on. The error code that caused this is P00C2 (Thats Papa Zero Zero Charlie Two) which according to all sources is a invalid code. If this code is reset whilst the engine is above about 40 degrees the code does not return until the engine is next started from cold. I removed the connector from the collant sensor, reset the code and it did not reappear. Changed the sensor, fault code still active. This code appears to have no effect on the performance of the car whats so ever. Does anybody have any idea what causing it please.

·
Registered
862 Posts
lion lover said:
About 40 miles before my 2.2HDi 406 estate turned 100,000 miles the engine warning light came on. The error code that caused this is P00C2 (Thats Papa Zero Zero Charlie Two) which according to all sources is a invalid code. If this code is reset whilst the engine is above about 40 degrees the code does not return until the engine is next started from cold. I removed the connector from the collant sensor, reset the code and it did not reappear. Changed the sensor, fault code still active. This code appears to have no effect on the performance of the car whats so ever. Does anybody have any idea what causing it please.
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:

Dont recognise that code at all. If you disconnect the battery for about 15mins that sometimes clears codes. Will look into this one and see if i can get some better info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Have tried disconnecting the battery for a long time but it makes no difference. This code seems to make no difference to the running of the car, its just anoying and of course if another fault code comes up I won't be aware of it. Thanks for you help.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I am having a long running and annoying problem with my 2003 406 2.2hdi Coupe. At just over 100,000 miles it announced that there was a problem with the particle filter. It had the effect of putting the car in limp mode which I bypassed by turning off the ignition each time for 10 secs. The problem often did not re-occur for 300 or 400 miles. I ignored the problem for several months and about 10,000 miles and then finally when I had some time decided to power-hose the particle filter and add a litre of particle burning fluid. This helped but did not solve the problem which then quickly became much worse. It would often only go 10 miles before going on limp mode. I got the Peugeot dealers to fit a new particle filter,top up the fluid and fit a few other necessary parts with a total cost of €1,300. I collected the car and went 1 mile up the road when the engine management light came on again. I then went back with the car and they kept it for a few more days and the announced that it needed a new turbo as the wastegate valve is not opening and the car is staying on overboost. It the has to go on to limp mode to protect itself from damage. The Garrett turbo cannot be serviced and it seems that the rod is sticking. They think the problem may have been caused by the fact that I did not change the particle filter in time and soot got into the turbo. Not willing to thrust them I have asked my local mechanic to look at the car. He checked the EGR valve which seems OK but he said that it showed the P00C2 error code that you have. Can anyone shed light on my problem. Regards Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P00C2 explained, well it worked for my car anyway.

Hi I can now explain the P00C2 error code. To go back a bit I had this error code which would (like other peoples cars) very occasionally go into limp home mode and be very annoying in the end I thought that it was the particular filter and decided to change it as it was over due for a change any way. I understand that cleaning it is unsuccessful. So I paid my £500 deposit and replaced it myself I also topped up the special fluid. This was easy as there is a pipe tucked up underneath the rear nearside wing which has a connector that connects to the can of fluid you buy, ten minute job. Cost about £300 total and three hours work at most. Anyway the P00C2 code continued but it did not go into limp home mode any more so I left it, but the car was only doing about 38MPG. After many hours research found that the filter works like this.
The special fluid is added to the tank of diesel fuel, lowering the combustion temperature of the exhaust soot.
The filter captures the soot from the engine, the filter clogs up after about 300 or so miles.
The engine management then uses warmed air instead of cold into the cylinders, injects fuel into the exhaust stroke and a third thing which I have now forgotten. These 3 things increase the exhaust gas temperature above the now lower combustion temperature of the soot trapped in the filter and it burns off, cleaning the filter. However the special fluid does not burn off, resulting in it eventually clogging the filter and needing replacement.
The filter being clogged is sensed by a differential pressure sensor bolted on to the bulk head and connected to the filter by two rubber hoses, as the filter starts to clog there becomes a pressure difference between the front and back of the filter. The engine management senses this difference and triggers the above sequence.
I bought an interface to plug into a laptop to read the error codes and then started pulling sensor wires off all the various sensors and noting what codes came up. Eventually I pulled off one of the rubber hoses on the particular filter (engine running) and noted that the code was P00C3 when I pulled off the other hose there was no new code displayed. Conclusion was that P00C2 error code was caused by (one side of) the differential pressure sensor. Changed sensor (about £80) problem gone for good. Fuel consumption now about 43MPG, because it is no longer pumping fuel into the exhaust stroke all the time. These sensors I understand suffer from water damage, no doubt as there is no water trap between the filter and the sensor so condensate will eventually get in the sensor.
Sorry about the long explanation but I feel that it may well make more sense than just saying change the differential pressure sensor, which is what my car needed when it showed P00C2, I have had no trouble now in 12000 miles with 112000 on the clock and still as good as new. I hope that this is of help.

:nod:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts