Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 406 2.1 TD which i had been told had a new engine in about 18 months ago but had hardly been used since, car seems very underpowered, slow to accelerate and get upto speed, my 1.4 astra had much more go in it, i don`t know where to look first, any ideas?

·
Registered
862 Posts
nutski said:
Recently bought a 406 2.1 TD which i had been told had a new engine in about 18 months ago but had hardly been used since, car seems very underpowered, slow to accelerate and get upto speed, my 1.4 astra had much more go in it, i don`t know where to look first, any ideas?

Hi nutski and welcome to the forum :wave2:

The 406 is a large heavy car the 2.1 only has 110bhp. Are there any other problems i.e is it difficult to start? and does it happen more often when starting from warm? what year is the carand mileage?

If the new engine hasnt been used much or has been un-used for a while try a injector cleaner from halfrauds or similar also check that the filters are clean air and diesel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, have been told now the engine was recondition, not changed, funny how people slightly twist their words :) Its a P reg and had done 170,000 before being reconditioned, no problems starting it, runs on for a fews seconds when stopping the engine, been told thats probably the solenoid though, had it plugged into a diagnostics machine last night and it came up with MAP SENSOR CIRCUIT error, any ideas where i would start with this? I did put some injector cleaner in which seemed to make it slightly better, will check the filters at the weekend.

·
Registered
862 Posts
nutski said:
Thanks for the reply, have been told now the engine was recondition, not changed, funny how people slightly twist their words :) Its a P reg and had done 170,000 before being reconditioned, no problems starting it, runs on for a fews seconds when stopping the engine, been told thats probably the solenoid though, had it plugged into a diagnostics machine last night and it came up with MAP SENSOR CIRCUIT error, any ideas where i would start with this? I did put some injector cleaner in which seemed to make it slightly better, will check the filters at the weekend.

There is something you can check yourself. lift your bonnet and above the radiator there is a unit with a connector and a vacuum pipe on it. This is the inlet manifold pressure sensor. Make sure that the vacuum pipe has not come off at the sensor or the manifold and make sure the pipe is not split. if you cannot see this unit then your inlet manifold pressure sensor (map sensor) is built into the engine ECU.
If it says on your Engine ECU "MAGNETIC MARRELLI 8P" then you should see the sensor. If your ECU says "SAGEM SL96" then i think the sensor is in the ECU.
your engine ECU is a silver box about 6" x 6" with a big wiring connector on it. its in the engine compartment.
have a look and see if you can see the sensor and see if the vac pipe has come off.

·
Registered
862 Posts
nutski said:
Just to add an extra twist to this, i cant see either of those on my ECU, mine says lucus :confused:

Can you see the unit above the radiator with a connector and a vacuum pipe on it? This is the inlet manifold pressure sensor. Make sure that the vacuum pipe has not come off at the sensor or the manifold and make sure the pipe is not split. if you cannot see this unit then your inlet manifold pressure sensor (map sensor) is built into the engine ECU.

In 1996 there was a recall for a Free engine management software upgrade if owner complains of 'rough' running, flat spots and lack of power on hills. With yours having a re-con engine etc i wonder if it didnt recieve this.

Also known ECU problems were not sorted out in 96N/96P reg cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
dirty fuel filters make diesels sluggish and smokey,
I would go for a new fuel filter (remember to prime before starting)
have a look at the air filter too and change it if its stinking.
whack a load of diesel redex in your fuel for the next ten or fifteeen tankfull. I'll bet a pound to a pinch of dog shiit that your fuel injuectors are dirty after 170k miles. this'll cure it without actually having to do anything:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts