Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I now have my 308 SW in Ultimate Red. I've read in one of the brochures that it is metallic paint with a red varnish. Is this trying to say that it's regular metallic paint but with a tinted lacquer over the top, or something else? I'm probably going to give her a light compound in the near future so just wanted to know what I'm dealing with before I get stuck in!

Thanks all!

Ollie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Ollie,
So this colour is quite unique, it’s classed as a 3 coat Pearl, which normally means the 1st coat is base colour coat. 2nd coat is the Pearl/metallic layer on top and 3rd coat is the clear coat/lacquer. But I’m about to spray this colour for one of my customers and it’s actually a bit backwards, the 1st coat has the Pearl and metallic in it and the 2nd is a solid red colour with no Pearl or metalic, which, if I’m right, is harder to colour match when spraying. But in answer to your question, no the lacquer should be a normal clear coat with no tint and using compound on it will be fine. 👍
Good luck.
Sam

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ollie,
So this colour is quite unique, it’s classed as a 3 coat Pearl, which normally means the 1st coat is base colour coat. 2nd coat is the Pearl/metallic layer on top and 3rd coat is the clear coat/lacquer. But I’m about to spray this colour for one of my customers and it’s actually a bit backwards, the 1st coat has the Pearl and metallic in it and the 2nd is a solid red colour with no Pearl or metalic, which, if I’m right, is harder to colour match when spraying. But in answer to your question, no the lacquer should be a normal clear coat with no tint and using compound on it will be fine.
Good luck.
Sam
You're a legend, thanks for the info! I actually recently got a chipex kit in my colour and I noticed that the first stage has all the sparkle and the second is just flat colour. There's no third stage in my kit though, so I presume it's mixed into the second stage. I do have a clear lacquer from a kit for another car though so I could always at that on top!

At least now I know I'm just going to be compounding a regular clear coat. Do you happen to have an impression of how hard/soft Peugeot clear coat is in that regard?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
No worries. Yeah I’m pretty sure with chipex it’s added into the paint itself so there’s no need to clear coat it after. I’ve never used chipex, but I see it has good reviews for minor stone chip repairs. I would note you will still see the damage after using this if you know where to look but it will definitely take your eye away from it, and hopefully protect that area.
Generally Peugeot’s use a medium hardness in lacquer/clear coat. Depending on if it’s been resprayed or not.
Good luck

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had good results with the chipex stuff in the past. If you're able to take your time over it and blend it into the surrounding area you can get an almost invisible result, at least with some colours! My previous car was a Honda civic with ridiculously soft paint, I could correct even bad marks by hand with not too much effort it was that soft!

I only have one small chip on the bonnet. The worst one is on the edge of the drivers door where the wind caught the door and pulled it into a wall. Good news is in that spot you'll never see it even if it isn't perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over time, any paint can fade or something like that. Of course, this nuance should be understood and realized. I advise you to make Ceramic Coating Vancouver BC - https://www.rdidetailing.ca. This will help you protect the paint of the car and you will save its appearance for a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts