Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am actually quite pleasantly surprised that it wasn't worse than it turned out to be. Expected any number of anti diesel measures to be possible options.

Additional fuel duty on diesel only?

Road tax surcharge for all diesels, not just year 1?

More detail on plans to allow councils to clobber diesels with a city entry charge?

Could have been worse.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I watched his statement and thought he was referring only too new car registration from April 2018 and the car would need to meet the new eu 6 stats

Not clear at all how older eu5 or 4 cars might be impacted looked at the ukgov site nothing there yet

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Only new cars it is aimed at making the diesels cleaner but why bother when they also want us all driving electric soon :)

Basically diesel tech has come as far as it can in terms of cleanliness so taxing them higher if not clean wont fix the problem just makes them less desirable.

It also says it does not apply to vans !

·
Registered
848 Posts
Local garages, supermarkets as well, in my area didn't need the budget for them to cash in on diesel owners.

Two weeks ago I went to France to deliver a car my sister had bought over here. When I left there was a 1p difference between petrol and diesel and when I got back, only 6 days later, the difference had been raised to 5p.

They don't need help to rip us off:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I watched his statement and thought he was referring only too new car registration from April 2018 and the car would need to meet the new eu 6 stats

Not clear at all how older eu5 or 4 cars might be impacted looked at the ukgov site nothing there yet
It is new cars but not euro 6, diesel cars will have to meet a new higher standard. The majority don't currently meet it and won't likely by april.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How does this all affect the 3008 Diesel engines in particular though? Are they already clean enough to meat theses standards and therefore not affected by the Budget?

·
Registered
765 Posts
How does this all affect the 3008 Diesel engines in particular though? Are they already clean enough to meat theses standards and therefore not affected by the Budget?
Peugeot do not produce any diesels currently that meet the new level to be free from the extra tax burden.

They must meet Real Driving Emissions Step 2

Currently diesels only meet Step 1 from sept 17.

The margin of error in step 1 allows cars to emit 2.1 times the limit. But in step 2 this is reduced to 1.5 times the limit.

Step 2 will be mandatory in 2021. I doubt any manufacturers have even tried to put a car through step 2 yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Peugeot do not produce any diesels currently that meet the new level to be free from the extra tax burden.

They must meet Real Driving Emissions Step 2

Currently diesels only meet Step 1 from sept 17.

The margin of error in step 1 allows cars to emit 2.1 times the limit. But in step 2 this is reduced to 1.5 times the limit.

Step 2 will be mandatory in 2021. I doubt any manufacturers have even tried to put a car through step 2 yet.
Thanks, so in money terms, does this mean we have to pay anything extra next year because of the budget?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks, so in money terms, does this mean we have to pay anything extra next year because of the budget?
Only if you buy a new diesel car that doesn't meet the regulation described above. No extra burden on existing cars.. however I wouldn't be surprised if the april budget increased fuel duty on diesel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
.. however I wouldn't be surprised if the april budget increased fuel duty on diesel.
That is what I expected this time to be honest.

Suspect they have to take it slowly otherwise they will be panned for punishing people who were only following guidance issued by previous governments to buy diesel. In addition, putting the increase on duty hits business diesel users (vans and lorries) as much as private users.

However once they have done it once and it starts to bite, I would imagine that the differential in duty will start to grow.

I expect there to be a 5p to 10p a litre difference in duty within 5 years. I expect my current beautiful GT to be the last diesel I ever own.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
According to BBC News, research has shown that deep fat fryers have a positive effect on climate change and global warming (I kid you not). So instead of clobbering the motorist, why not attach rows and rows of deep fat fryers to all wind farms and solar panel farms, and send free fryers to every household in the UK:lol:

·
Registered
765 Posts
According to BBC News, research has shown that deep fat fryers have a positive effect on climate change and global warming (I kid you not). So instead of clobbering the motorist, why not attach rows and rows of deep fat fryers to all wind farms and solar panel farms, and send free fryers to every household in the UK:lol:
Sounds like daily mail science to me :). You could argue that diesel particualtes kill off the old and weak who are a burden on overstretched NHS budgets.. so win win.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given the political environment, I would think putting too much stress on diesel could backfire.

I’d suspect there will be a petrol or faster hybrid commitment by purgeot.

Mar’17 car there VED £20/year so I suspect that the diesel will get more tax but if that rise is too fast then it will cause problems with the economy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts