Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,
I'm thinking of replacing the van tyres peugeot decided to fit to my car.

Out of interest, what are the tyre pressures on your cars where you have 225/55 R17 tyres fitted?

I have 215/60 R17 tyres which are supposed to run between 2.8 and 3.5 bar depending on the load.

Cross climates exist in 216/60 R17 in a 100 load rating so I'm considering these but was wondering if they should run at the same pressures as the originals hence my interest in your pressures.

Cheers,

M.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hi Meeper,

I'm currently running 2.6bar all round. Seems to be the best compromise for me.

Do you have Grip Control? Sorry, if you already said you do, I can't remember.
Seems to be odd you have 215/60/17 on your Traveller if not.

Grumpy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grumpy.

Yes I have grip control, which for some reason comes with agilis alpin winter van tyres.

Switching tyres will allow me to use winter rated all season tyres (which the handbook says I should be using). I'm also hoping different tyres will make the ride a little less harsh - any view on this?

Dealer is struggling to explain how winter tyres are suitable for year round use.

What pressures does the plate on the drivers door jamb ask for on yours Grumpy? Interested whether the "recommended" pressures are the same for the 215/60 R17 compared to the 225/55 R17.

Best case I can use cross climates in 215/60 R17, worst case I'll need to switch to 225/55 R17. Wider tyres would mean changing the spare wheel holder and more difficulty fitting snow chains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks; I find this intriguing.

Now I know what pressures to use if I switch to the other tyre size.

I can't seem to get the photo resize to work so I've copied them out. Mine says:
- light load 2.8bar front and rear
- heavy load 3.2bar front 3.5bar rear
- spare 4.0bar

I wonder why your rear tyres are always lower pressures than the front whereas mine are either the same or greater at the back?

I suppose there will be a Michelin tyre pressure to load rating chart somewhere but I don't see how that could explain the greater rear pressures.

My load plate says max load for both front and rear axles is 1500kg. Is yours the same?
Gross vehicle weight is 2770kg.

Cheers
M

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine has the 225/55 R17 and I am running the pressures per the plate on the door which says 3.0 front 2.5 rear. Mine is the same as Grumpy's plate

If you do move to these size tyres make sure that they are 101 load rated and not less.

I am actually quite impressed with the comfort of the ride with this set up on the Michelin Primacy 3. I have not yet noticed any wear on the centre of the front tyres but now Grumpy has mentioned it I will be watching them like a hawk. :nod: :tiphat:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mine has the 225/55 R17 and I am running the pressures per the plate on the door which says 3.0 front 2.5 rear. Mine is the same as Grumpy's plate

If you do move to these size tyres make sure that they are 101 load rated and not less.

I am actually quite impressed with the comfort of the ride with this set up on the Michelin Primacy 3. I have not yet noticed any wear on the centre of the front tyres but now Grumpy has mentioned it I will be watching them like a hawk. :nod: :tiphat:
Hi Yobbs,
i would expect your tyres to last a bit longer than mine as yours won't have 180hp going through them. I was a tad dissapointed to only get 13,652 miles out of my from Primacy 3s. I've had Michelin CrossClimate+ on the from with the pressures at 2.6 bar and still have 4mm tread left and I've done circa12.5 k miles on them. So either the tyres are crap or the 3bar pressures did actually have a dad detrimental affect on their life.

I like the ride in my Traveller with less pressure. I'm really happy with it.

Grumpy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Morning all,

I am about to fit my traveller with new tyres in the 225/55 R17 size. Hoping that the lower pressures will improve the ride.

The dealer is going to order a tyre pressure label for me to stick on the door jamb. The problem is that to order it he needs the VIN of a car which was delivered with these tyres (my car was delivered with 215/60 R17).

Would one of you be willing to PM me a suitable VIN please?

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Morning all,

I am about to fit my traveller with new tyres in the 225/55 R17 size. Hoping that the lower pressures will improve the ride.

The dealer is going to order a tyre pressure label for me to stick on the door jamb. The problem is that to order it he needs the VIN of a car which was delivered with these tyres (my car was delivered with 215/60 R17).

Would one of you be willing to PM me a suitable VIN please?

Cheers,

Hi Meeps,

I will PM you in a mo.

I have just stuck a pair of Avon Z7 (225/55/17 101Y ) on the front. Cheaper than most but I thought worth a try as the original Michelin 3s didn't last very long. I'll be putting the CrossClimate+ back on for the Winter in November.

Grumpy

·
Registered
64 Posts
You don't always need a Vin. Many dealers will do it by reg. number. What folks often do is find an identical car online in the used section at a main dealers and use the reg. plate from that to order parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the VIN Grumpy.

@Yobbo - I'm ordering the parts from my friendly Citroen dealer as he is closer and more approachable. He can't look up Peugeot VINs from the number plate, only Citroen.

In addition to the sticker I'm having to buy a new spare wheel carrier as they are marginally different between the two tyre widths.

I'm hanging on to my narrower winter tyres (supplied with the car) and fitting these to steel rims. This is because you can't fit snow chains over the top of the wider tyres. As I drive to the alps I need to be able to fit chains.

Ideally I'd have fitted cross climates in the narrower 215/60 R17 size but the homologated load index for that size is 104 (ie commercial/van rating) so you have to stick to van tyres in the narrow size which rules out cross climates. In the wider size the homologated rating is 101 (or possibly 98), which lets me use cross climates or other softer riding car tyres at lower pressures.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Meeper, Thx for the link to the Spanish forum which was one I was not aware of and seems better than the others I have found. I read it though Google Chrome which has auto-translate. :thumb:

Most of the users on the Spanish site are even Grumpier than our Grumpy about the very low km that they are getting out of their Primacy 3's :nod:

Mine has the Primacy's and I expect to get 30,000 miles out of them as I am a very gentle driver, although on mine there is just a hint of the wear in the centre of the fronts that Grumpy mentioned and the users in Spain also highlighted. I may drop my pressures a tad.

I plan to start looking for winters on mine in the next 6 weeks. Its over a £1000 investment (including the steel wheels) so I need to shop carefully

·
Registered
64 Posts
Back to this issue with the excessive Primacy 3 wear rate which Grumpy mentioned and which also seems to have been a hot top in the European forums. I thought I would do some checks myself.

Tyres last me a long time on cars, usually 40-50,000 miles and I have also started to notice early wear on the Primacy 3. Up until recently I did quite a bit of motorsport and track days and have a small stack of various motorsport tyres in my garage. Importantly I also own a rubber durometer which we use to measure the approximate softness of tyres for competition.

I have had a session prodding various tyres with this on mine and my families road cars and also my stored motorsport rubber.

The findings; Compared to the dozen or so standard road tyres I checked the Primacy 3 is soft for a standard road tyre and softness usually means good grip in the dry but greater wear rates particularly in heavy vehicles. My gauge showed it to be 10% softer than my favoured Goodyear Efficient grip performance and very nearly as soft as my road legal track day tyres (various manufacturers) which are obviously biased to dry grip over multiple track laps. In non-trackday use these would last me under 5000 miles

Given that most road tyres will be harder rubber than the Primacy just changing to another tyre from a quality manufacturer should help with the tyre wear problem in what is a heavy car.

Maybe the Primacy 4 will have a better wear rate?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
To update on my findings,
Front tyres:
Primacy 3 13.5k miles
Michelin CrossClimate+ 17.5k miles withy a little left so possibly end up with around 20 - 21k
Avon ZV7 2.5k so far and not looking too bad.

Rear tyres:
33.5 k and down to about 2.5mm tread left.

Upshot is, Crossclimates are better value for money than the Primacy 3s. The Avons are just a test because I bought them for £78 each so couldn't resist. Even if I get only 8k from them I'm on the plus side :thumb:

I will be buying the CrossClimates again for sure. A very good grippy quiet tyre.

Grumps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts