Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had 2 new front tyres today and was told i need to replace the valves all around the car as they are corroded, guy told me to get some rubber replacments as the originals are expensive, been looking on fleabay and i wondered if anyone could advise on which ones i would need and how i could go about doing it, assuming i can do it myself??

Found some here is the link but not sure of sizes and stuff??

5 NEW TR414 RUBBER CAR TYRE WHEEL VALVE + DUST CAPS | eBay UK

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar issue where a valve crumbled as I was inflating the tyre. Rather than replacing it with the pressure sensing valve I had on the wheel already, I got kwik-fit to replace with a standard rubber valve - which they did for free.

The sensor alarm went mental for about 5 mins, then informed me that the pressures were no longer being monitored and I've had no trouble since.

Of course I'm assuming that you have pressure sensing valves on your pug, but even so, I'm not sure I would undertake replacing a valve, standard or not...

HTH

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmmm thanks for the advice, so i need a mechanic to do this or trye place, i just thought it would be a case of deflate the tyre pull one out put the new one in, nothing is simple anymore :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mmmm thanks for the advice, so i need a mechanic to do this or trye place, i just thought it would be a case of deflate the tyre pull one out put the new one in, nothing is simple anymore :confused:
Standard valves should be pretty simple. I have no mechanical skill whatsoever, which is why I wouldn't try it myself, but if you're confident enough to try yourself then go for it :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have researched this on the interweb thingy me bob and people are saying that you have to deflate and remove the tyre then swap the valves, i am not sure i can get the tyre off so looks like i gotta pay again!!!

Fuel injectors....check
Pads and discs all round......check
2 new tyres......check
pdf refill......check

and coming up this month tax and mot oh yeah plus the £1.43 a litre for fuel.

I need to win the lottery!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you want to keep the pressure sensor but don't want to pay peugeot to replace the whole thing, you can get just the valve stem replacement kits for £19.50 each. They sell on ebay here:

Peugeot & Citroen tyre pressure sensor valve repair kit | eBay UK

No reprograming needed as you keep the original sensor.

I was going to change for rubber ones but I always forget to check my tyre pressures so in the long run it saves some money by getting more life out of my tyres

D

·
0 Posts
There is a modified valve now not made of aluminium. It will not corode any more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi peeps,

The missus has bought a 407 SW (and very nice it is too) and of course she's got corroded valves and a rubber replacement in one of them.

Now there is a variety of sources are saying that from next year TPMS functionality will be part of the MOT (thanks to the EUrocrats).

So if that's the case getting replacement sensors/valves would make sense.
For a decent indy with PP2000, they should be able to recode the ECU.
The only thing they would need to invest in is a TPMS trigger to get the sensor out of sleep mode, right?

Cheers,

Stan

C

·
0 Posts
Hi peeps,

The missus has bought a 407 SW (and very nice it is too) and of course she's got corroded valves and a rubber replacement in one of them.

Now there is a variety of sources are saying that from next year TPMS functionality will be part of the MOT (thanks to the EUrocrats).

So if that's the case getting replacement sensors/valves would make sense.
For a decent indy with PP2000, they should be able to recode the ECU.
The only thing they would need to invest in is a TPMS trigger to get the sensor out of sleep mode, right?
Yes you do need a tool plus planet to code a new valve one sold on ebay recently for £60ish.

Peugeot Citroen Renault Electronic Tyre Valve Programer on eBay (end time 29-May-11 17:18:38 BST)

I think you can get them for around £130 new. Autel make one called Maxitire it's over £300 on ebay but think I've managed to find one from china for £85 plus postage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
It won't be part of the MOT, but will be required before a car is given European Type Approval and can go on sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had a look at the VOSA website and had a look at the proposed 2012 rules (see consultation papers, first zip file). TPMS is part of the MOT but....

Looks like earlier info was being taken as any car fitted with TPMS as standard was included, but this has been revised to any car first driven from Jan 2012 will require it to have a fully functional TPMS as part of the MOT. But, this of course means that a car first driven in 2012 will not need an MOT till 2015...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts