Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2nd hand 15" alloys with 195/65R15 tyres, im wanting to change the them as they are near the limit.
Would going to a 195/55R15 be safe? any issues I should be aware of?
kwit fit says they cant fit that size as its not the original, would this be right?

cheers

207 1.4HDi 185/65R15

·
Registered
441 Posts
I bought 2nd hand 15" alloys with 195/65R15 tyres, im wanting to change the them as they are near the limit.
Would going to a 195/55R15 be safe? any issues I should be aware of?
kwit fit says they cant fit that size as its not the original, would this be right?

cheers

207 1.4HDi 185/65R15
Any particular reason for wanting a lower profile? Changing just the profile will alter the size of the wheel (radius/diameter/circumference) pretty significantly. Normally it is accompanied with a change in width if rim diameter is kept the same)

A 195/55 will be about 20mm smaller radius compared to a 195/65 (10% of 195mm) or almost exactly 6% smaller in radius/diameter/circumference.
Back in the days when I was in the business, +/- 3% was said to be the max
allowable difference.

What is your 'proper' tyre dimension? Oh - just spotted your last line...
Assuming 185/65-15 is your normal size, 195/55-15 is ~4% smaller.
If you really want lower profile, I'd think looking at a bigger rim is the way to go - 195/55-16 would be exactly the same size (apart from the width) as 185/65-15.

Tyre size calculator I used for the above is How To Change Your Tyre Size - etyres , and they recommend max 2.5% difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any particular reason for wanting a lower profile? Changing just the profile will alter the size of the wheel (radius/diameter/circumference) pretty significantly. Normally it is accompanied with a change in width if rim diameter is kept the same)

A 195/55 will be about 20mm smaller radius compared to a 195/65 (10% of 195mm) or almost exactly 6% smaller in radius/diameter/circumference.
Back in the days when I was in the business, +/- 3% was said to be the max
allowable difference.

What is your 'proper' tyre dimension? Oh - just spotted your last line...
Assuming 185/65-15 is your normal size, 195/55-15 is ~4% smaller.
If you really want lower profile, I'd think looking at a bigger rim is the way to go - 195/55-16 would be exactly the same size (apart from the width) as 185/65-15.

Tyre size calculator I used for the above is How To Change Your Tyre Size - etyres , and they recommend max 2.5% difference
Many thanks for the reply, it makes sense now :thumb:

the lower profile was really just for the look of them.

Il put the originals back on, then look out for 16" maybe :thumb:

·
Registered
153 Posts
i had a set of 307 alloys with 195/65/15 tyres,i tried them on my 1.4 hdi and they caught on the inner arches on the rear,i never tried on the front,i would keep it as close to original as possible

·
Registered
441 Posts
Many thanks for the reply, it makes sense now :thumb:

the lower profile was really just for the look of them.

Il put the originals back on, then look out for 16" maybe :thumb:
One thing I forgot - if a given rim will cause problems or not also depend on the offset (aka ET [from the German EinpressTiefe or 'push in depth]) meaning how far in or out from the face of the hub the rim will sit. ET = 0 means he centerline of the rim/wheel will sit inline with the face of the hub. ET = 28 means the centerline will sit 28mm 'into' the car measured from the hub face, ie closer to suspension components.
A negative offset in turns means the rim will sit further out, closer to the wing/arch. See https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101
Spacers can compensate for a too large offset as they move the wheel outwards while a too high offset has the wheel too far 'in'.

If the rim is from the same model of car there shouldn't be a problem, but even rims from the same make, but from another model, might not fit due to the offset, even though bolt circle and hole size might be correct.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Also, with smaller diameter wheels the speedo would read incorrectly.

Reactions: dovetail

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Kwik-fit and most major tyre chains will refuse to fit non original sizes to avoid expensive lawsuits should subsequent damage occur.
No matter what your opinion of the big chains might be I agree with them on this one!. :)

Roger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts