Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been driving my new 3008 for a couple of days now, I'm finding it fantastic and loving it.

However, on the motorway I find wheel noise very intrusive. I will of course soon get used to it but surprised no one else has mentioned it before.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
There is some tyre noise on certain motorway surfaces, but it's nowhere near as intrusive as having my mother in law on board. You can have her on long term loan if you like (GO ON PLEASE!), and I guarantee you will yearn for the comparative silence of the tyres!! Seriously though, have you checked the tyres aren't over inflated??

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It would be interesting to know which tyres we have and how each effects both road noise and ride.
Any takers for the following:-

17" Chicago
18" Detroit
18" Detroit Matt Haria
18" Los Angeles
19" Washington
19" Boston

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
For us/me, road surface noise is majorly big.
An all day drive on our coarse chip bitumen can be one of endurance instead of pleasure if not engineered out .

·
Registered
136 Posts
18" los ángeles, very little road noise , better than Q3 and much better than A3. Have a set of winter tyres from the Q3 which i hope might fit for winter 215 60 R17 Dunlop winter Sport 3

·
Registered
160 Posts
18" Los Angeles with continental tyres, roads are very hard here to stand up to the heat. compared to our Citroen VTS the ride is softer and quieter.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Having focal sound system make any difference on road noise.? I mean that when you get focal sound system it will get additional sound insulation at least for glass and will this make any difference?

·
Registered
160 Posts
:thumb:
Summer heat is something we have in common then.
Certainly is not sure what the actual road surface temperature is, but the surfaces are extra hard to compensate.

Luckily we don't get many potholes unlike the U.K.

:cool::thumb:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Certainly is not sure what the actual road surface temperature is, but the surfaces are extra hard to compensate.

Luckily we don't get many potholes unlike the U.K.

:cool::thumb:
With our vast distances compared to tax payers, we have crushed 'metal' applied to hot bitumen to reduce it's exposure to the evaporating nature of hot sun.
The result is like very coarse sand paper, scaled up, and is a right pita for auto NVH engineers.
Sporty low profile tyres are the most vulnerable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
With our vast distances compared to tax payers, we have crushed 'metal' applied to hot bitumen to reduce it's exposure to the evaporating nature of hot sun.
The result is like very coarse sand paper, scaled up, and is a right pita for auto NVH engineers.
Sporty low profile tyres are the most vulnerable.
How many km/miles do you get for your tyres, my Citroen fronts (Michelin) lasted 40.000 km, most of our journeys are on windy mountain roads.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
How many km/miles do you get for your tyres, my Citroen fronts (Michelin) lasted 40.000 km, most of our journeys are on windy mountain roads.
Our Goodyear efficientgrip tyre looked half worn when we bought it almost new (demonstrator) and tyre/brake wear is reflected in fuel economy.
Our roads are pretty flat and straight and we, being retired, don't hurry anywhere, but even so, I think 50,000 kms will see them out , probably after being traded in.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So far it would seem the 18" Los Angeles are fairing better, although the 17" Chicago is fine until concrete.
Any takers for the 19" Boston standard on the GT or the 19" Washington upgrades?

·
Registered
420 Posts
F1 use 13":lol:
I can live with 17" if it dampens the road noise.
It's not the rim-size that makes it look odd. It's the width.

The GT have 235 if I remember correctly. The standard tires are 225 and the narrow bike-wheels/eco-wheels are 215.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts