Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would let others know of my recent tyre purchase. When I bought my 407 it had some awful chinese Zeta tyres on the back which lost grip far too easily in the wet. I did a lot of looking around for tyres and weighing up the pro's & con's of each.

Eventually I opted for a pair of 'Barum Bravuris 2' tyres, I had one on my previous car an Audi A4 and it seemed reasonable. I got a pair of these 215/55/17 94W delivered for the price of £78.70 each from 'mytyres', they arrived 2 days after ordering and had date codes of 34/13 so not old stock.

Fitted them myself, I have a couple of bead breakers, one made by my Dad in the early 80's and another I made a couple of years ago. The design of my alloys made them the easiest tyres I have ever fitted with levers and a little tyre soap. Balanced locally for £4 each and fitted to the car.

I have had them on for a couple of weeks and thrown the car into some empty, wet roundabouts with no problems. Im not one for going mad in the wet, but do like to know if evasive action is needed the tyres are going to be up to the task.

These tyres have made in France on them and are apparently something to do with Continental.

I am considering buying another pair for the front, I believe they are very good value for money, the chinese ones seem to be about £50-60 but absolutely deadly in the wet so would never even consider them. I've never been one for splashing out on top of the range tyres so think these are an excellent all round option.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size nexens did you get for £50?

If they were 215/55/17 94W you got a bargain.

Just looked on mytyres and they are £80 supply only. Probably a similiar quality to the Barums I bought.

It's the chinese Zeta, Wanli, Ling Long, Rotalla etc that are lethal in the wet!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sound good, sure I had a pair on the back of my Vectra. I've just had a pair of Pirelli P7's fitted, bit pricey at £136 each plus peripherals and tracking took me up to £332 a pair fitted :eek:

They had better be bloody good :nod:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I just put 4 Primewell Sport 910 on mine. I'm impressed. I like to chuck mine about round the Lincolnshire back roads (and I don't mean doing 65 in a straight line), and it's behaved impeccably.
Even in the wet. For whatever reason when I bought it, it had 98 load tyres on it. These ones are 94, like it says on the door sticker, and it's a lot nicer to drive. Quieter and less crashy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
What size nexens did you get for £50?

If they were 215/55/17 94W you got a bargain.

Just looked on mytyres and they are £80 supply only. Probably a similiar quality to the Barums I bought.

It's the chinese Zeta, Wanli, Ling Long, Rotalla etc that are lethal in the wet!
CP671s. Good tyres for the money

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were the Nexens 215/55/17 94W? I have looked online and can't find them for less than £80 each supply only!

I am thinking to replace my fronts and was going to get another pair of Barums but if these Nexens are available for £50 they would be a fantastic bargain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep theyre the Nexens. Bought from Baron tyres in Hull
After shopping around for the past few years, I've found tyretraders.com... always consistently cheapest prices.
My previous car (fiat) and my wife's Seat both had Altenzo fired... awesome at stupid prices, but the size range is limited.
Maxxis are usually pretty competitively priced and better quality at the cheaper end of the market.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tyre recommendation

Hi All
Have a look on Tyre Shopper selling Barum for £61.99 fitted.Got a set of Bridgestone A001,s for my 308 for £73each fitted a couple of months ago from this company

C

·
0 Posts
Hi All
Have a look on Tyre Shopper selling Barum for £61.99 fitted.Got a set of Bridgestone A001,s for my 308 for £73each fitted a couple of months ago from this company
Not 17's they aren't.

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ive only ever had issues with chinese tyres.

most other mid range tyres are fine
Have to agree I would never have Chinese tyres fitted to my car, guess some might not be as bad as others, but just not worth the risk/hassle. Have still got a Rotalla Chinese tyre on my nearside front and although it doesn't seem as bad as the Zeta's that were on the back, it doesn't fill me with confidence on tight roundabouts!

I think these chinese tyres have confused the budget market, in my experience the chinese 17" ones are around the £50-60 mark while what would previously have been considered budget are now around the £80 mark. In all honestly the chinese ones should be banned and certainly disregarded by anyone who wants to stay alive. I consider the £80 ones to be a good budget option.

If I couldn't afford the £80 ones for my car, I would go down the part worn route. £50 on a decent part worn would be a much better/safer option than a chinese ditch finder!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The dealer 'kindly' put 3 Chinese tyres on for the MOT when I bought it :rolleyes:

So I have three Sunny SN3970s and a Pirelli P7. (The front pair match.)

The ratings on these Chinese ones are:
Efficiency: C
Wet: C
Noise: 71
which looks OK on paper...

·
Registered
909 Posts
i once bought a pair of Wanli tyres to put on the front of a Hyndai Coupe, like sh!t to an army blanket in the dry, like drivin on ice if slightly damp.
A lad at work has a sayin bout cheap tyres, he calls them 'ditch finders'

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What worries me most about chinese tyres is that the tyre dealers recommend them(maybe they are making more on these than they would by fitting mid range tyres).

There must be a lot of drivers with chinese tyres who don't know how deadly they are(probably don't even know they have chinese tyres) and I worry that one may be coming the other way as we pass on a wet bend!

Chinese 'ditch finders' should be banned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts