Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since buying my Pug last year i have noticed that the valves have started to corrode. One valve has no thread and i am unable to put air in it no. The others are still intact but not in great shape.

Peugeot have quoted me approx £100 per wheel to replace as they say the valve and sensor and all in one and will all need replacing. They say the valve cannot be replced independantly of the sensor.

I have not had this done yet due to the cost and was considering just having rubber valves fitted (all four for £38 at Kwikfit), but then realised Peugeot wanted £80 just to deactivate the sensor system.

Recently I have seen valve kits being sold on ebay for £20 and can get 4 kits for £70 inc delivery. But Peugeot told me the valve could not be replaced independently of the sensor?? Were they lying to me? Do these kits work? And if they do is it possible for me to replace them myself? If not, how much would a garage charge per wheel?

I am at the point now where I am running on a spare wheel due to the corroded valve and flat tyre so i really need to do something but am financially buggered at the mo. Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
timanfiya said:
Since buying my Pug last year i have noticed that the valves have started to corrode. One valve has no thread and i am unable to put air in it no. The others are still intact but not in great shape.

Peugeot have quoted me approx £100 per wheel to replace as they say the valve and sensor and all in one and will all need replacing. They say the valve cannot be replced independantly of the sensor.

I have not had this done yet due to the cost and was considering just having rubber valves fitted (all four for £38 at Kwikfit), but then realised Peugeot wanted £80 just to deactivate the sensor system.

Recently I have seen valve kits being sold on ebay for £20 and can get 4 kits for £70 inc delivery. But Peugeot told me the valve could not be replaced independently of the sensor?? Were they lying to me? Do these kits work? And if they do is it possible for me to replace them myself? If not, how much would a garage charge per wheel?

I am at the point now where I am running on a spare wheel due to the corroded valve and flat tyre so i really need to do something but am financially buggered at the mo. Any advice appreciated
Go into local tyre shop replace them with rubber ones ,about £6 per wheel including labour , then get someone near to turn them off with Peugeot Planet ,they`ll never bother you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
valves

After youve had the old ones replaced with rubber ones, you only get a warning light coming on for approx 5 seconds after starting the car telling you that your tyre sensors are missing then it goes off, its much better than it telling you every 5 minutes that your tyre pressures are low

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bettyswollocks said:
Go into local tyre shop replace them with rubber ones ,about £6 per wheel including labour , then get someone near to turn them off with Peugeot Planet ,they`ll never bother you.

thanks for the advice but do you know if the valve kits can be used if I wanted to keep the sensors?

I have looked at your Planet map but can't seem to find the users in Manchester when I try to search. And I don't think I can email or PM yet as not enough posts.

thanks

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
timanfiya said:
thanks for the advice but do you know if the valve kits can be used if I wanted to keep the sensors?

I have looked at your Planet map but can't seem to find the users in Manchester when I try to search. And I don't think I can email or PM yet as not enough posts.

thanks
steveb - Manchester,England
Robjenkins - Manchester, England
VPUG - Manchester, England

·
5,027 Posts
right then please dont just take my word for this have a good look around the internet, but i have heard lots of times that land rover valves fit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-L30-02-03-OE-Beru-TPMS-Valve-43mm-/130440649876?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item1e5ede5c94#ht_1672wt_754
apparently your tyre fitter can remove your broken valve and swapping the electronic bits over repair your knackered valves with these new ones. if you were to spend an hour you could find this info quite easily, and this method means you dont need the new valves coding to your car.
hth
Neil

·
Registered
39 Posts
All 4 of my tyre valves of my 407 were corroded and no way were they moving.

The solution was to get rid of them and the tyre sensors attached to them. All that happens is after 40 mins driving the dash beeps and flashes "tyres not monitored", indicating what tyre and then goes off.

Better than paying more for the valves than the tyre as they corrode all the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
trem1 said:
right then please dont just take my word for this have a good look around the internet, but i have heard lots of times that land rover valves fit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-L30-02-03-OE-Beru-TPMS-Valve-43mm-/130440649876?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item1e5ede5c94#ht_1672wt_754
apparently your tyre fitter can remove your broken valve and swapping the electronic bits over repair your knackered valves with these new ones. if you were to spend an hour you could find this info quite easily, and this method means you dont need the new valves coding to your car.
hth
Neil
thanks trem1, I have found someone selling them for Peugeot but I wasn't sure if it would actually work or if it was a waste of money. If it works then I dont mind paying a little extra than normal valves to keep the sensors. Otherwise I will just get rid and find a Planet owner to turn off the system (I have the warning now with the spare on, although it only occasional it would bug me in the long run).

Have you, or someone you know, successfully changed the valve without changing the sensor? And do you know how much a tyre fitter would charge?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scottn said:
All 4 of my tyre valves of my 407 were corroded and no way were they moving.

The solution was to get rid of them and the tyre sensors attached to them. All that happens is after 40 mins driving the dash beeps and flashes "tyres not monitored", indicating what tyre and then goes off.

Better than paying more for the valves than the tyre as they corrode all the time.
Did you try to change the valve then or did you take it to a tyre fitter and they couldn't remove them?

I totally aggree that the cost is extortion for what peugeot want but I don't mind paying £70 for 4 new valves as long as they will fit and not cost to much in labour. I never remember to check my tyre pressures so the system comes in handy for me to get most out of my tyres. I have heard if you but vasaline on them that they don't corrode as easy.

C

·
0 Posts
Valves can be changed it is a bit of a fiddle as the valve is attached to the sensor with a thin strip of metal held in place on the valve with a torx screw t6 I think my local tyre place was happy to remove the valve from the wheel be let me change over the sensor. Think I used ford or jag ones paid £10 each for valve and sensor but have since turned the system off much less hassle.

Cris.

·
Registered
39 Posts
timanfiya said:
Did you try to change the valve then or did you take it to a tyre fitter and they couldn't remove them?

I totally aggree that the cost is extortion for what peugeot want but I don't mind paying £70 for 4 new valves as long as they will fit and not cost to much in labour. I never remember to check my tyre pressures so the system comes in handy for me to get most out of my tyres. I have heard if you but vasaline on them that they don't corrode as easy.
The valves were totaly corroded and starting to break up too. No way could they be removed.

Whe i said £70 i meant per valve and the sensor is attached.........

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like the consenus is to take them off lol. I might try one and see how that goes, if it's too much hard work or any more probs then i'll get rid and turn it off. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Time to mutiny I think

I have to sympathise with all in this thread and hundreds of others like it. I snapped the valve in two on my 407 at the weekend; it went into the garage today to get it looked at, I also told them that the other valves were corroding as well. Robins and Day of Lincoln told me that they were not interested in the forums on the internet and that there was not a recall on any valves. They then had the cheek to quote me over £600.00 to replace the valves; if that was too expensive they would replace the sensors with standard valves and switch off the relevant bit on the computer. They wanted £164.00 to do the job! :mad: This whole experience has left me with a bitter taste and is starting to make me regret buying the car. If every Peugeot driver was to “mutiny” over this they would soon change their minds. As a result of Peugeot’s attitude I’ve cancelled my major service with them next week, as well as getting the rear brake pads replaced (I don’t think this is the right place to tell you where I told them to place their valves!). On the brighter side Halfords are now doing all the work with 40% discount (as I’m a Serviceman), and they are using genuine parts! If you managed to read this far thanks for letting me rant on, I’ll look forward to any replies. :lol:

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
£60 to replace all vaves to rubber and turn of TPM sensor`s would be fair , but then again they have high overheads so £100 profit per car sounds about right , although they just lost a major service i think there should have been room for negotiation there.

J

·
0 Posts
Depends on how much they were going to charge for major service.... Peugeot where I go only charge £190 incl parts & labour for main service, and when you look at the cost of oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter, etc, there isn't much of a mark-up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks to all for your quick replies, my local dealer charges £269.00 for the major service, this does not include the timing belt. I'm with jmkent on his comment on this one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts