Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1.4 HDi I have is very slow to accelerate until it "gets on the turbo" as it were. Ok when the revs get to near 3k you then feel the difference. There is no play in the turbo and it does not smoke. I am assuming it is normal. Ok for pottering about the town but a bit daunting if you need to accelerate on a dual carriageway as it means dropping a couple of cogs to get the revs up. The turbo is tiny so I was wondering if there were a one that would be a straightforward replacement from another engine size that would help improve the accel. Is the 1.6 any bigger and would it be a bolt on job for example?

·
5,891 Posts
That does not sound right, HDI's have the turbo sized to give around 75%+ boost by around 1750 rpm.

There must be an issue if you do not feel significant boost below 3000K have you check solenoid/wastegate

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
Tiny turbo is BETTER than a big one for day to day use this is a case where bigger is not always better.

They put small turbos on to get the boost up quicker at lower revs than a big turbo would need as windy says its not right.

1.6 engine has 2 different turbos depending on power outputs 110 having the bigger one but its not just the turbo thats different it also has different injectors intercooler etc to handle the extra power.

·
5,891 Posts
Try running it with MAF disconnected as a faulty MAF can affect low rpm performance which feels like lack of boost as low reported air flow limited fuel flow

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have got the Haynes and although it tells you how to remove the turbo it does not mention the wastegate or solenoid. It does though mention a pressure sensitive actuator. Are these integral with the turbo or are they separate somewhere else on the engine?

·
5,891 Posts
I thought only the 2.0 90 BHP had a self regulating turbo and all 1.6 engines have ecu controlled one due to emission requirements.

Solenoid is tucked up behind the turbo follow the vac pipe from the waste gate actuator

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
The turbo is a KP35 and are a tough old rugged turbo economy than speed

Check the waste gate actuator rod and fixing nut and adjustment
I pulled off my pipe and worked it manual and held it in operation to check the diaphrapm so it held
Check your feed pipe / banjo from the turbo
My solenoid is above the alternator check the pipes and connections and follow them back but I think thats for mechanical egr valve

EGR blank did spool my 1.4hdi earlier
but it still takes a time to spool it up

Has the turbo intake elbow failed ? and oil dripping from rocker breather vent into turbo

do you have a cat blockage ?

·
5,891 Posts
My mistake I was thinking of the 1.6 90 model not the 1.4 on a 207 I code read which had one

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for replies. I got my son to disconnect the MAF and try it(I am surprised he managed it as he is not a hands on type!) and he reports that it is certainly responding a lot better even in 5th so is there anything that can go wrong on these that can be fixed I.E I have heard that there is a heater element that can get clogged on some types and can be cleaned, delicately of course, or is it buy a new one scenario?

·
5,891 Posts
You could try cleaning it with some carb or brake cleaner, they also do degrade over time as the heater part starts to age so under read on air flow at lower RPM

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The old MAF sensors were not dirty per se but there was a bit of oil around them coming from the breather pipe. The new one fixed the problem though! So will have to see what is causing the oil to be getting into the system.

·
5,891 Posts
You will get a slight bit of oil in the intake from the engine breather system as it vents into the intake system but it should be down stream of the MAF but small amounts can blow back.

Heavy contamination is often a sign of the turbo seals starting to wear normally not a problem until it gets excessive accompanied by blue smoke etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts