Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for being dumb but is the 2.0 90 a turbo or non turbo?
After using it all day today I don't think it is working. Can't hear any whistle and at what rev is it supposed to kick in at?

Had it since wed but only properly used it today. Although it took me 2 hours to drive home when buying it I didn't really take note as it was dark and raining and late.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Maximum boost should be reached by around 2000 rpm turbos are boosting from idle they do not really kick in

A good turbo does not whistle :)

A 90hp hdi is never going to win the trafic light grand prix

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought they were lol

And I know they're not fast and coming from a 115 1.8 16v focus to this I wasn't expecting it to be fast. But after owning a 306 1.9td few year ago I could hear the turbo spool up and that was nippy whereas this doesn't seem anythin like that :/

Somethin does seem to happen around 2k in 2nd but still can't hear the turbo spool up,with windows down. I've got a mate coming to look at it tomorrow.
Hope it is working :/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maximum boost should be reached by around 2000 rpm turbos are boosting from idle they do not really kick in

A good turbo does not whistle :)

A 90hp hdi is never going to win the trafic light grand prix
Never knew that .was boosting on idle.

So if anythin my turbo is normal and working fine? But saying that how would I know it's stopped working?

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
You'd know if it wasn't working. It wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
306 was a great engine when on song the hdi is lukewarm compared to a good 306/405 engine

They tried to get rid of the turbo noise on the hdi and when working well you should not hear it

·
Registered
116 Posts
On a well serviced HDi, you shouldn't hear the turbo.
Saying that, every HDi I've owned and heard, you can hear the turbo, not as much as some cars, but it is there if you listen for it.

On the boost side of things, this engine hits max boost at 1800rpm (+/- 100rpm).

The whole point of the HDi engine is to be refined, so you shouldn't be able to tell when the turbo kicks in, but as said, if it wasn't working, you'd know.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I've had my 307 1.6 90 since 29th Dec last year and I've never heard the turbo at all. It's no racer but it's a hell of a lot quicker than I expected from a 90bhp especially since it's 8 years old and had 113k on it when I bought it.

I've added another 6k since then and it does win some traffic light getaways and the acceleration is reasonable. The car is capable of far exceeding the national speed limit but to what extent, I don't know.

I guess if I start hearing the turbo then I better start worrying :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts