Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again

Prior to actually trying to get my 110 hdi on the road I took it for a spin now its getting most of the gremlins ironed out. you guys have helped me out tons in the past and I really appreciate the advice and help given to me owning a french pug and still I return for more advice from the more experienced owners :) so thanks in advance!!

Now, when I drive nice and slow, change gear and just tootle along everything is great, when I accelerate and try to use the engine I have this loud whistle/buzz sound coming from the car.

sounds like there is a piece of cardboard stuck in the turbo intake pipe vibrating the faster the turbo spools up with engine at higher revs the louder the noise is and it even changes the pitch of whirring with speed.

I have no black smoke, can't see anything in intake pipes, and the noise is not present at idle or revs...only under torque and acceleration on the road.

does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? :( (Its not affecting the drive or running) its definately not just the normal high pitch whistle from a turbo....this is really loud.

I drive with window open and you can hear it reflecting off the cars and houses as you drive by. When inside the car it sounds like its behind dash but not so loud (just where turbo would be) any help is appreciated!

cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello again

Prior to actually trying to get my 110 hdi on the road I took it for a spin now its getting most of the gremlins ironed out. you guys have helped me out tons in the past and I really appreciate the advice and help given to me owning a french pug and still I return for more advice from the more experienced owners :) so thanks in advance!!

Now, when I drive nice and slow, change gear and just tootle along everything is great, when I accelerate and try to use the engine I have this loud whistle/buzz sound coming from the car.

sounds like there is a piece of cardboard stuck in the turbo intake pipe vibrating the faster the turbo spools up with engine at higher revs the louder the noise is and it even changes the pitch of whirring with speed.

I have no black smoke, can't see anything in intake pipes, and the noise is not present at idle or revs...only under torque and acceleration on the road.

does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? :( (Its not affecting the drive or running) its definately not just the normal high pitch whistle from a turbo....this is really loud.

I drive with window open and you can hear it reflecting off the cars and houses as you drive by. When inside the car it sounds like its behind dash but not so loud (just where turbo would be) any help is appreciated!

cheers :thumb:
I know nothing about about the pug diesal but on the Mondeo they have small flaps fitted on the intake ,not very helpful I know but maybe remove the piping and check it out as you don't want anything entering the turbo itself,maybe by the noise you describe it could a worn turbo itself??

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know nothing about about the pug diesal but on the Mondeo they have small flaps fitted on the intake ,not very helpful I know but maybe remove the piping and check it out as you don't want anything entering the turbo itself,maybe by the noise you describe it could a worn turbo itself??
its a strange one for sure....ill keep digging. I thought it might be a butterfly valve or something, but cant tell for sure?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could the turbo be catching as it's spooling?
I delved into the engine bay yesterday, noticed when I rev it quite high quicky and let it slow down naturally there is a second whine that slows just after engine..like an electric motor slowing down.

I'm thinking turbo has had it yet it doesn't seem to be lacking boost but since I havn't had it on the road properly since Ive had it I don't have a reference to know if it was better before or not? :(

problem is when it does boost its noisy, its now called the blue banshee! Its the Borg Warner K03 turbo and from what I have read up they are not the most reliable.

oh well...onward and upward they say!

·
5,624 Posts
Check intake ducting is all tight (inc jubilee clip behind inlet manifold). If any of the pipes are loose or not fully pushed home the noise from turbo can be radiate from the pipe.

Some turbos do sound like a owl when spooling up/down for some reason (maybe slight damage to a blade) but keep going for years.

I thought K03 was quite a reliable turbo if looked after (mine has done 251K)

I have changed one in the past, can be done with engine in place but its not easy. most difficult part was getting bolts to pre-cat and turbo to manifold undone.

I did contemplate changing cartridge but one of the housing bolts snapped while trying to remove so had to change whole unit

Also worth check exhaust and boost side of turbo for a leak as these can hiss on boost which sounds like something scraping

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check intake ducting is all tight (inc jubilee clip behind inlet manifold). If any of the pipes are loose or not fully pushed home the noise from turbo can be radiate from the pipe.

Some turbos do sound like a owl when spooling up/down for some reason (maybe slight damage to a blade) but keep going for years.

I thought K03 was quite a reliable turbo if looked after (mine has done 251K)

I have changed one in the past, can be done with engine in place but its not easy. most difficult part was getting bolts to pre-cat and turbo to manifold undone.

I did contemplate changing cartridge but one of the housing bolts snapped while trying to remove so had to change whole unit

Also worth check exhaust and boost side of turbo for a leak as these can hiss on boost which sounds like something scraping

Hello Windy

Ok thanks for the heads up...its nearly there!! at least its not dying when I pop up road like the last time I tried lol.

Of course now its moved its thrown up an abs/esp warning, planet tells me rear left wheel sensor incoherent, so thats another fault to sort. problem is pp2000 doesn't seem to know the ecu so it references it and because of that I can't view parameters and check if its seeing the sensor reading wheel speeds? :mad:

remember the airbag fault, well tried a few 1k resistors in the plugs (2k & 3k) still showing fault, purchased some 3.3k and airbag light stays off :thumb: so definately the clock spring at fault.

Thanks windy when you around next for a tea? :thumb:

·
5,624 Posts
coherence fault means sensor is intact and giving a signal its just out of range compared to other sensors it will be sensor gap issue due to rust on backplate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts