Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new here so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I have recently purchased a 51 plate (02) 307 HDI Turbo D off of ebay and as per the title of this thread looks like there is a problem (hopefully not serious) but was hoping someone can offer some advice.

I had agreed to buy the car before testing (mistake Im sure many of you will say and you may be right) but I did the same with an Alfa 147 and its been a joy (selling due to fuel economy), hence the reason for this purchase.

Anyway I took it to the garage today as it will not go over 70mph and approx 2,800 revs. The thermostat goes to the right and flashes the STOP Warning light.

The garage has quickly hooked it up to diagnostics and have told my girlfriend that the turbo charber may be faulty. I will know tomorrow but am really worried and will no doubt have a sleepless night thinking that this could cost several hundreds of pounds approaching a 4 figure sum if not more.

I have contacted the seller because this conflicts with his listing, he has said dont let them 'con me' into thinking that and that its likely to be either the radiator or cooling fan.

I have used this garage just once and they seem geniune so have more reason to believe them rather than the seller.

Can anyone offer some guidance or advice as I fear I have been sold a lemon.
Apologies for the longwinded thread but was hoping someone can put my mind at rest.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick reply

Really hope it is something as cheap as this and will let you know. Would you suggest I get a 2nd opinion if it is something as drastic as a new turbo. I have no idea what they are likely to cost. Im just trying to get a rough idea of the worst scenario.

C

·
0 Posts
Can't see it being the turbo meself.

Like Swollocks says, coolant temp sensor is a poss culprit. If that don't do it then get the cooling system pressure tested.

Good luck with the seller. Feel free to name and shame so we can avoid him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chopper.
Both these replies kind of put my mind a rest a little but should know more tomorrow. How much is a new turbo likely be to fit with an independent garage? Also do you think the seller is likely to be right by saying it could be the radiator or cooling fan?

C

·
0 Posts
North of £500 at the very least.

No. He's full of shit. Won't be the rad, unless there's a big hole in it and all the coolant has drained away, in which case the engines probably cooked beyond redemption already. The cooling fan will hardly activate at all in normal driving, except in the very highest of ambient temperatures. The guy's a jerk and (going solely on what you've told us) it sounds like he's tried to F you over. After all, if it were the rad he'd have spent £100 on a new one and got another £300-£500 for a properly functioning car.

The sensor sounds likely, if not I'm thinking the doom and gloom of head gasket failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again
Took the car in this morning and picked up on way home, the garage have cleaned the valves and pipes and charged almost £60 for labour and diagnostics.

I then drove home through traffic and whilst not many opportunities to put my foot down, the early signs were encouraging as revs were over 3000 and could feel turbo (whistleing noise?) kick in.

I then have taken the car back out onto open roads and am back to square one. Serious lack of power and no more than 3000 revs or 70mph in any gear.

Im seriously hacked off that I have just spent £60 for nothing. Anyone able to offer any other suggestions, I may take it to another garage. What do you guys think? Also the garage were not able to get the radio/MFD to come one. Do I need to take this to Peugeot dealer?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
you could go back to the garage and say that what they did didnt work and you want a refund etc or get them to fix it...sure its called an act of somesort, chopper may know...i played this card before on a garage, got all my money back plus car fixed :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again

Having taken it back to the garage today they again tested the car and they can fully see the problem but it would seem are not sure of the exact solution.

The garage has told me that no faults are showing on their diagnostics but when overheating the car is then leaking water. I imagine this explains why the thermometer is going to the right but not the reason for the severe lack of underpower.

Having spent £60 I am reluctant to spend any more money and have contacted the seller asking for a refund or for him to fix the problem.

A couple of questions: Firstly where do I stand legally? The car was purchased on ebay and paid for by cash.

Secondly, if I take it to Peugeot is it likely that their diagnostics (Planet??) will detect anything.

This is the first time I have owned a Peugeot and I have to say at this rate is likely to be my last.

Hoping someone can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
If the car is losing water (from where) and the temp hand is shooting up would this not put the car in safe mode and not rev over 3000rpm as the brain will not let you damage the engine if it thinks there is no water,
if the garage can see the problem what is the problem?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Unless you know someone with a planet I would always suggest getting a diagnostic done at Peugeot as a lot of these other garages diagnostic readers wont find the faults.

As I regularly use Peugeot for diagnostic reasons, I only pay about £48 and would recommend anyone to get it done with them or like I said with someone with a planet. I always make a point of telling Peugeot that any fault found will be remedied by the seller so not to encourage an over zealous mechanic into adding things onto the list.

It sounds like you have already found the fault though and unless it is a very expensive job I would suggest you just accept that you were caught with your pants down on this one and get it fixed as it's a lot harder getting things remedied when you have purchased a car privately.

C

·
0 Posts
Get your money back, sharpish - several days of regular overheating and lord knows how many days of overheating prior to your purchase will have likely cooked the motor and compression will be down, followed by an almost inevitable HGF in the future.

Don't waste another second trying to fix it, IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, thanks for your advice.

I really dont trust this guy, he is telling me its likely to be all kinds of sensors and even suggested he sends me some for me to fix at no cost (thats nice of him!). The guy has told me he is a private seller but the all evidence on ebay suggests he is trading.

I can take it to Peugeot at about £65-£70 an hour on the diagnostics or to an independent for about £40, is it always best to take it to Peugeot and bite the bullet on cost.

Depending on the cost I will go back to this guy and either asks he pays or I get my money back, I expect he will do neither which will give me no choice back to shop him to Trading Standards and the HMRC.

C

·
0 Posts
I would get some large mates to accompany you round this chaps house to make a persuasive case for returning your money. I'm lucky in this regard, as my mates have nicknames such as "The Swede" and "Meat Loaf", so along with Unkie "Chopper" our little group rarely has a problem obtaining consumer satisfaction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts