Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
details
57 plate 407 sw 2.0 hdi 136hp my dads car
He needs 2 tyres ect £200 soon and the heating fan or something £1400 and a rear bumper and tow electrics ect sorted £200. He did look to buy another car but not much out there.
As his looking to spend this money his looking at increasing the power as he feels its under powered for towing his 1600kg loaded caravan.

Looked into a few thing
1 £400 before and after rolling road with universal remap 35hp
2 £450 custom remap to suit car up to 40hp
3 £75 adjustable level tuning box up to 40hp

I tow with 1600kg 170 hp bmw but less torque and it pulls like a train

Now I not really interested in option 1 as the £50 extra for custom map is surely worth while. but at £375 more than a tuning box seems pretty step.

whats peoples experience please and do you think there suitable to use for Towing Thanks

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Personally, and this is just me. I wouldn't dream of re mapping mine.
I saw the bill for the replacement of the dmf and clutch on my x-line. Luckily, that was a warranty job.
Also, £1400 on the heater?. Care to elaborate?. Could be dealer leg lifting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, and this is just me. I wouldn't dream of re mapping mine.
I saw the bill for the replacement of the dmf and clutch on my x-line. Luckily, that was a warranty job.
Also, £1400 on the heater?. Care to elaborate?. Could be dealer leg lifting.

Thanks for reply

The issue with heating is the passenger foot-well gets red hot in summer when air-con on and then in winter its freezing when heating's on. £800 replacement unit and 2 and a half days lab our.

I forgot its also got a drip of oil from diff that needs looking at and his having the sat nav help thing removed too. Whilst dash is out

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Sounds like it could well be the heater flap problem.
You can DIY that (sure I've seen repairs with felt tip pens or something)
Or you can buy a reasonably cheap repair kit that includes new flaps. The biggest bum would be the dash out bit. But just think, a day or two of pratting in your drive and over £1k in your pocket :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it could well be the heater flap problem.
You can DIY that (sure I've seen repairs with felt tip pens or something)
Or you can buy a reasonably cheap repair kit that includes new flaps. The biggest bum would be the dash out bit. But just think, a day or two of pratting in your drive and over £1k in your pocket :D
lol yeah I read about, bodge job repairs and yeah £1000 would be nice but Im only just about aloud to be a passenger in it. My dads never liked me driving his cars lol. Did let me fix his fiesta once but it was snowing and he had actually broken down. Just the master fuse had blown.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've the same motor but in a 307sw.

Personally I went down the remap and DPF removal at a cost of £350. Not the cheapest quote but the company had good feedback and was local enough to make sense.

Rather than go for full out power which would have been around 165-170bhp I opted for a mild eco tune so its now around 150-155bhp.
Plenty of poke but sensible economy and should be a little kinder on the clutch and DMF.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just spoken to him he said its the cog that controls flap. Its booked in for this weekend now though. His gonna ask about getting the DPF removed to

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DPF removal from this February will be an MOT failure. Also, deliberately polluting isn't really a friendly thing to do is it?.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter
Easiest thing to do is drive the car in a manner that will ensure the system stays in good health. Eg, don't pootle around town all the time.
so its like a catalitic converter but on a diesel. I thought it was a fuel line filter lol. should be able to do remap with it on there expecially a custom map as wouldnt that take the condition of DPF into account :confused:

·
Registered
464 Posts
DPF removal from this February will be an MOT failure. Also, deliberately polluting isn't really a friendly thing to do is it?.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter
Easiest thing to do is drive the car in a manner that will ensure the system stays in good health. Eg, don't pootle around town all the time.
Yikes - almost had mine removed a couple months ago - only running out of the repair budget stopped me. I can see a few of our members going on the hunt for second hand ones now as I believe the new ones are the wrong side of a grand :mad:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
How they plan on checking if it has been removed I've no idea. Looking for the canister is no proof it's there. Tapping it is proof there is a filter in there, but not proof that it hasn't been drilled to make it less of a restriction, and obviously make it less likely to start blocking up.
I suppose they could read the ecu to see if it's been written out. But then that would mean having to have the correct equipment.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I know a few guys who own MOT stations - if I remember, I'll ask em - might be useful info for some of the people here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tuning box.... You can remove it yourself without any major issues
Im thinking that. looking at one it comes with many different settings set at 3 for factory so can be adjusted easily depending on demands. There is one you can do by remote but thats £400 lol.

I guess the mot people will just look to see if its there as they dont check it operation (smoke test but most pass without. Well my skoda was so clean it run on rape seed oil in summer when test due :thumb: dought you can do that with pugs though lol

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tuning box.... You can remove it yourself without any major issues

We've an adjustable chipexpress? box on the 90bhp 206 and it certainly makes a difference however it is quite a crude method of tuning. Essentially all it does is alter the fuel rail pressure. Certainly not as good as a remap but for the price we paid (£50 second hand) it was well worth the money. That combined with removing particle filter the car now has plenty of poke but still returns 50mpg.

Our 307sw 136 as previously mentioned has been remapped, DPF internals removed and deleted from software. (some 136's destined for other countries never had the DPF anyway) This is a far better method of tuning rather than just upping rail pressure and now deliver smooth power across the range. As for new MOT regulations I'm not worried as it is likely to be a visual inspection only and as with most changes it often only effects cars built from that date forward.

C

·
0 Posts
I know of a 407 2.0hdi owner that fitted a tuning box and it triggered the water in fuel warning all time when connected.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts