Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Thinking of starting to mod and aiming to reach somewhere quite higher, around the 200bhp mark given enough time.

Wondering really, what can these engines take?
The first things I'm looking at doing are getting a decent air filter, big front mount intercooler and getting it mapped and getting some form of manual boost controller (if these ecu's can allow for this).

With the dropped temps from the IC, what sort of boost pressure can I run through this engine without melting or putting a hole in the pistons?
Also what sort of BHP figure can be obtained without firstly blowing the engine and secondly without needing to uprate the gearbox?

Anyone got any examples they can link to?

G

·
HDi90 2 litre Roy, I take it? The 1.4 would probably melt well before 200BHP, or your wallet would.

A decent intercooler, such as an Allards one (you'll need the inlet stub from the 110 as the 90 doesn't have a cooler at all), good induction set up, a decat, and a remap can get you into the 140BHP plus realm, depending on how the remap is set up (ie, power, economy, smoke or what). Did all that on my 406 HDi 90 and got 144 on a conservative map. Don't attempt to alter the boost by any means other than a remap, as the turbos are notoriously fragile if directly fiddled with on these.

Beyond that things start to get more expensive and you're looking at water/methanol injection for another 20-30, then it's headwork, exhaust, balanced bottom end maybe on lattice rods, big tubbies etc.

I would judge 150ish brake would be a reasonable goal for sensible money. Be aware that the clutch on the 90 is a Valeo and prone to slipping on the standard car, never mind on a tuned 90 - replacing it with an aftermarket LuK one solves this problem.

good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chopper1192 said:
HDi90 2 litre Roy, I take it? The 1.4 would probably melt well before 200BHP, or your wallet would.

A decent intercooler, such as an Allards one (you'll need the inlet stub from the 110 as the 90 doesn't have a cooler at all), good induction set up, a decat, and a remap can get you into the 140BHP plus realm, depending on how the remap is set up (ie, power, economy, smoke or what). Did all that on my 406 HDi 90 and got 144 on a conservative map. Don't attempt to alter the boost by any means other than a remap, as the turbos are notoriously fragile if directly fiddled with on these.

Beyond that things start to get more expensive and you're looking at water/methanol injection for another 20-30, then it's headwork, exhaust, balanced bottom end maybe on lattice rods, big tubbies etc.

I would judge 150ish brake would be a reasonable goal for sensible money. Be aware that the clutch on the 90 is a Valeo and prone to slipping on the standard car, never mind on a tuned 90 - replacing it with an aftermarket LuK one solves this problem.

good luck.
Just what I was after from me old pal dicky. Sound mate, exactly what I wanted to see. Someone who has done similar with good results. 144 sounds good for a remap and an IC basically.

If these turbos are fragile then if I get a better turbo (I'm thinking long term here, I really do intend on having this car a good 5 years).
How much boost till insides go boom?

I was thinking I may need to uprate the clutch, thats cool. Worth it in the long run if I'm thinking big figures.
I think the brakes should be cool. I'm pretty sure these ones are bigger than what people used to put on the rover turbos to uprate them, lol.

Out of interest chopper, you got any vids of the 406? Did it feel a lot quicker than standard? And how did it all affect economy

And lol, yeah, 2 litre, Wouldn't even begin to start getting a 1.4 to 200brake

G

·
Got no vids or pics - lost a lot of my memorabilia when I got divorced.

A huge difference in the mid range, and driven normally made no noticeable difference in economy. Even caned severely it still kept north of 40mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts