Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post on here.

I've been trying to determine the true mileage of my car/ It was on 25K when I bought it and currently shows 45K . Its an '03 307 HDI 110. Being an '03 I accepted when I bought it that it probably had had a clock change and most likely had done a good 100k above what was showing.

I've checked the MOT history and this shows that the mileage gradually went up to 145K then the next year showed 90k then the next year just before I bought it it showed 25K.

From what I have read on here a clock change should allow the car to retain its mileage if its higher than the clocks being changed but it looks like this hasn't happened in my case for some reason. My questions are would a BSI change affect the mileage? For example if at 145K the car had a replacement BSI from a second hand 90K car, would that explain the first mileage discrepancy? If the second hand BSI was a dud and a new BSI was then fitted would that explain the second discrepancy?

When changing BSI do the keys and ECU's get changed also? I ask because I'm hoping to get a second key cut if I can get the mechanical key code using Bettyswollocks £5 vin to pin service.

I know there are lots of assumptions here and I may never find the cars true exact mileage but I'm hoping to get close.

I'm also hoping to order Lexia 3 soon if that helps.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
If clock or BSI was changed it`ll show highest mileage , if Bsi was changed to second hand then the Engine ecu and fobs would have to be changed , not the blade ,
so you could have situation of BSi with vin number and log book with different vin number ,

when you get pp2000 you can check Bsi to see if it matches log book , either way i can get codes ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If clock or BSI was changed it`ll show highest mileage , if Bsi was changed to second hand then the Engine ecu and fobs would have to be changed , not the blade ,
so you could have situation of BSi with vin number and log book with different vin number ,

when you get pp2000 you can check Bsi to see if it matches log book , either way i can get codes ;)
Hi thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking its had a couple of BSI changes.

I also had an after thought after posting. Last year I ordered a replacement stereo from ebay and the seller coded it to my car before sending it to me. I had to send him the vin which i took from the log book and the coding worked so I'm thinking the BSI and log book will match but I'll find out when I get PP2000.

Do you have any idea how the mileage could go from 145K to 90K then to 25K and still retain correct VIN in the BSI?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply.

Do you have any idea how the mileage could go from 145K to 90K then to 25K and still retain correct VIN in the BSI?
1- there are people who can change the mileage on these cars without any problems...they have the right tools / knowledge

2- change the complete set of bsi / ecu / key / clocks to a lower mileage car

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1- there are people who can change the mileage on these cars without any problems...they have the right tools / knowledge

2- change the complete set of bsi / ecu / key / clocks to a lower mileage car
Would a new BSI reset the clocks to zero???

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
And it will always show the highest mileage of whatever you put in , unless you put a lower mileage BSI , Engine Ecu (fobs) and instrument clocks . (the mileage is saved on the clocks aswell) :thumb:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys, it seems the mystery of my mileage continues, whatever has been done I may never find out. I'm certain that the car and BSI have the same vin (but I'll find out when I get planet) which suggests that the BSI is not from a doner car.

I might ask Pug if they have records of work done on the car (bit of a long shot maybe) and I might also try DVLA and see if mileage has been recorded when changing owners etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 sets

If you had a pair of new bsi & ecu and swapped them each year ...would this then technically allow the car to show half its mileage ?

However...I want to do something that no one ever does (as a prank) ..can you add mileage to an Odometer :lol:? serious question?

D

·
0 Posts
If you had a pair of new bsi & ecu and swapped them each year ...would this then technically allow the car to show half its mileage ?

However...I want to do something that no one ever does (as a prank) ..can you add mileage to an Odometer :lol:? serious question?
Fit a secondhand bsi and ecu with higher mileage to a car that has lower mileage. The dash will always take the higher mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was the idea...but its hard to find one in a scrap yard that we can fire up and tell what mileage they have.

..on the other point.,..if you changed both...for new...would that zero the counter?

...so I am kind of guessing these can not be re-set via computer software, or 'planet' or alike...?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My understanding is that a new BSI and new clocks fitted at the same time would zero the odometer.

There are individuals/companies that can alter the mileage but it appears to be a complex process due to the multiplex wiring.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
So what mileage does it show on the MOT then? Do you have any old MOT certificates to check?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts