Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Evening All,

I have a high mileage Expert 2.0 HDI (259k) that has gradually become hard to start (Hot or Cold). Unless I turn the ignition on and wait for the fuel pump to stop at least 2 - 3 times before turning over the engine it will not start. Once started the engine performs perfectly. If I stop the engine I have to go through the same procedure to start it again and not always with success. If I try and start the engine normally it will just turnover and splutter until the battery fails. However, If I bump start it it will more often than not start up ok.

I would really appreciate some advice to get this little workhorse working again.

All the best Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a matter of interest, are the glow plugs for cold starts or are they required even when the engine is hot?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cold starts. I believe the air in the cylinder has to be a certain temperature for the diesel to ignite when injected. With a cold engine, any heat generated by compressing air on turning it over is lost to the cold metal block, so glow plugs keep things nice and hot until a chain reaction can be sustained. With a hot engine, this is not an issue. I did hear something about more modern diesels being able to be started without glow plugs (or certainly not for as long) but I can't remember the science behind it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could it be that you have a leak in the fuel system which results in air getting into the system therefore you have to wait for the fuel pump to prime the system all over again before being able to start? Just an idea..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi haga 750,sounds like the problems I had up untill very recently,if you can get a scan done then do so but have a look at my ROUGH STARTER thread in this section,It may be of help:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts