Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
i own a peugeot 307 1.6 petrol Reg:ky02snz
and my car stopped starting the other day but the battery had power , with trying to turn it over my starter motor broke so i got that fixed and took it to the garage and they said it was the crank sensor then a hour after said it aint that its the ecu and will cost 340 pound :(

my friend said he can replace the ecu with another one but will need to replace keys, clocks ect

is that worth a try ?

any ideas or advice welcome

Thankyou

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi

I am not 100% familiar with peugeot ECUs, however he is sort of right. The key is coded into the ECU. So if you get a 2nd hand ECU, you need to get the keys that come with the ECU ( you only need the transponders as you will have to swap the key part of it around).

Other option is to find someone with PP or Diag tool and get them to programme your transponder to the new ECU

Did the garage try and connect to the ECU at all in your peugeot?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i found a full kit for £80 it comes with clocks aswell do they need changed ?

ok ill look into that as im not sure how much that is.

nah nothing to be fair they were useless and mucked me about in all honesty

thanks

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hi

I am not 100% familiar with peugeot ECUs, however he is sort of right. The key is coded into the ECU. So if you get a 2nd hand ECU, you need to get the keys that come with the ECU ( you only need the transponders as you will have to swap the key part of it around).

Other option is to find someone with PP or Diag tool and get them to programme your transponder to the new ECU

Did the garage try and connect to the ECU at all in your peugeot?
you are part right part wrong

You can NOT program used transponders to another vehicle on Peugeot and Citroen

they keys are not coded to the ecu, the keys are coded to the bsi and the ecu is coded to the bsi

if you are swapping you need bsi, ecu and keys from same vehicle.

unless there is signs of water in your ecu then the chances of it being broken are slim

you need to have a good read here http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/ and get it properly diagnosed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

they keys are not coded to the ecu, the keys are coded to the bsi and the ecu is coded to the bsi

unless there is signs of water in your ecu then the chances of it being broken are slim

Ok thankyou,

i get a bsi with the kit plus clocks plus keys plus ignition barrel plus ecu is that it all ?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts

Ok thankyou,

i get a bsi with the kit plus clocks plus keys plus ignition barrel plus ecu is that it all ?
yes you dont have to swap clocks

if you dont swap the clocks the highest mileage will be stored
e.g your clocks have a higher mileage this will be stored in the bsi
e.g the bsi has higher mileage this will be stored in clocks

·
Registered
96 Posts

you need to have a good read here http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/ and get it properly diagnosed
oh ok. I think it is the same with most modern cars nowadays.

Can you programe a different BSI to your ECU then? So if he gets only the BSI and transponders, then can he programe the new BSI to his old ECU so he doesn't have to swap the ECU as well?

·
Registered
96 Posts
nah nothing to be fair they were useless and mucked me about in all honesty
How did he come up with needing a new ECU then?

He must have done something to come up with that?

Where are you located? If you are near York, I can try and connect to your ECU and see if there are any codes or if indeed it is gone !

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
oh ok. I think it is the same with most modern cars nowadays.

Can you programe a different BSI to your ECU then? So if he gets only the BSI and transponders, then can he programe the new BSI to his old ECU so he doesn't have to swap the ECU as well?
well he is claiming it is his ecu that is faulty so keeping his ecu would be pointless

yes you can reprogram and ecu to another bsi and another bsi to another ecu but you would need to have it virginised first and you would need the 4 digit pin

·
Registered
96 Posts
before swapping anything you need to get it properly diagnosed otherwise you will be spending money for nothing, have a good read of the link i posted before
I agree, Specially as the chap who had tested his car and came up with the faulty ECU, doesn't seem like he had done any code reading or proper diagnosis!

Changing BSI: Easy, it is just an ECU that you unplug and plug the new on in. But you then might need to connect to the car, clear codes and ... to make sure it is coded to your car's ECU and ...

Look at the map that was previously supplied and see if you can get hold of anyone nearby to take a look at the codes for your car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thankyou i will read it but im not clued up on cars at all

the mechanic at the garage rang and said its my ecu and it will be 340 thats why i say its that as he must of checked , im looking at getting the bsi and ecu and key with barrel from a place and its all of the same car, it lines up with my vechicle perfect.

i thought this would be my best option ?
is the bsi hard to do ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
i thought this would be my best option ?
is the bsi hard to do ?
No this is not your best option as you will be wasting £340 for ECU and then when it doesn't work another few ££ for code reading.

Your best option is to get someone to read the codes from your car or try and connect to your ECU. If they can't connect then fair enough, it could have failed.

But the cheapest option is to get the codes read.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have a look at post #5, it has a link to where find the nearest people to you who can offer to read your codes.

It seems there is someone in MK, Beford or coventry nearest to you. But I don't think it can help you considering you can't move your car.

You can also ring any garage and ask them if they have got tools to read your ECU codes. Any after market tool ( Snap on for example) will be able to read codes but will not be able to do any advance setting changes.

If the ECU has failed, nothing would be able to connect to it or read codes. That would be your first port of call I suggest.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
yeh a mate with 207 has misfires and fuel pump related fault codes ( well to check the fuel pump anyway) and the dealership is saying he needs a new ecu !!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts