Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've searched this forum in depth for this problem but I think I might be the first. When changing from second to third there is a very clear, very loud grinding/crunch sound. Like plastic being dragged along gravel or a blender with ice in it.

I've uploaded a video to YouTube and you can hear it both just before and just after moving from 2nd to 3rd gear. It's clearer on a PC. It happens just as the clutch is depressed in 2nd (before moving the gear lever) and when it's fully in 3rd (clutch fully up) this is the link:

https://youtu.be/jZ5NDf0yMV4

It's a week old, and it's done 170 miles. It actually physically slows the car and I can only describe it as like driving into a strong gust of wind. Not unlike the gears crunching but not as violent and without the gearstick being moved.

It's going back to the dealer's tomorrow morning but does anyone have any suggestion as to what this grinding could be?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm no use to you I'm afraid Nick but I can definitely hear the noises you are referring to. Very worrying though especially as you've not done much mileage yet

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes I hear it now. Does it make that noise if you declutch and don't change gear. Just wondering why it being in second gear has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes - it happens from as soon as I begin to declutch to having 3rd gear fully engaged.

I'm not a mechanic, but it feels and sounds like something is getting stuck. Because it happens both in and out of gear I'm reluctant to point to the clutch and tentatively suggest something drive-related, either with the delivery of power to the gearbox or with the gearbox itself.

Further to this, it only ever happens consistently when going uphill. It's probably not clear on either of the videos but the car's on a slight incline and the grind happens at the top of the hill. It's never done it on a level road but has done it a handful of times when going downhill. I do use the term 'hill' in its loosest possible sense - my part of Yorkshire is pretty flat.

Whatever the cause this should not be happening on a brand new car. It's not been the best experience so far.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wouldn't get wound up about it these things unfortunately happen things can go wrong with new cars, your going to your dealer tomorrow find a hill and replicate the problem and see what the mechanic says, worse case the car will have to go in for a repair and they give you a loan car, least you will know its then ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have an update on this yet - it has to go back next weekend when they have time to test drive it with us so we can replicate the issue.

I will report back, but if anyone has similar issues before I do then please share.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't seen anyone else with this problem on here or elsewhere but I said I'd keep this post updated.

The car went back to the dealership for investigation and, following discussions with Peugeot and a week in the garage, they have replaced the flywheel. This is what they think was responsible for the grind.

It's early days yet - it only came back last night - but all seems ok so far.

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.