Peugeot Forums banner

Transmission issues?

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  reliable406 
#1 ·
Hey, i have a 2003 model 406 with automatic transmission. Sometimes when i shift from P to D, i get a flashing light on the dash beside the R (on the graph shownig gears P R N D...) and the car behaves unnormally. In addition, when i shift from P to R, it takes about 2 seconds to engage the reverse.. I scanned the car with obd2 scanner but got no codes related to the transmission. Any help is appreciated

#2 ·
Hi welcome to the forum

I don’t know your particular question although on 2 automatic cars i have owned when the gears played up i found topping the auto oil up fixed the problem

Could the light you see be low transmission oil level

Sorry cant be more helpful :thumb:

#5 ·
Hi & welcome.

First things first: change the oil.

Peugeot say it's sealed for life but this is a vicious lie.

It's crucial to use the correct oil: Esso LT71141.

If that doesn't improve it then you're probably looking at a new set of solenoids (and ideally software update too) for the valve block.

#9 ·
The problem is that i bought this car with no user manual, and the informations about the car are not known for me (HDI, Al4 or zf4hp...). So i am working my way through VINs and stuff to know my car.. The following image contains some infos, the transmission type is not included, but as my friend reliable_406 said the transmission can be known from the engine type.. So here is some infos i found from my VIN. And, is there a way to know my transmission type myself?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Service Box

That will give you access to the Service Box, if you register as an "Independent Operator". You will get access to parts information, but repair procedures are pay-to-view.

I have it all on PC, plus the SEDRE (wiring information) from here. DO NOT click the blue rectangles - that leads to the expensive stuff. Scroll down and click any £9.99 offer - you will get the full databases for ALL the listed models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.