Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

As far as I know, my 1991 Mi16 has its original trailing arm bearings. Those now have 150,000 miles on them.

While there is no sign of wear, it seems like it might make sense to replace them as a preventive maintenance measure.

I noticed a video on YouTube for replacing the bearings on a Peugeot 206. Did not look like too terrible a job.

"https://youtu.be/jY8n8gqnB0w"

Other than disc brakes versus drums, is this essentially the same procedure on the 405?

Does it make sense to replace these as a preventative / proactive measure?

Thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My advice is "Don`t fix what isn't broken".
It may be 26 years old but if the suspension is working as it should,no movement or noises from the arms,leave well alone.From my experience with the old 405 the rearaxles DID last,unlike 206`s!! Stripping it down you would be on a hiding for nothing.All the nuts and bolts would be seized,the torsion bars would have seized splines,etc etc,it would take ages. Then after you would have to reset the ride height.
The 405 rear axle is a very similar design to the 206,with the bearings in the arms and the bearing shaft being part of the complete cross tube.So if the bearing shaft is worn its a recon axle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts