Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car through it's MOT again. :) Only work was to change tie grips to meal clips on steering rack gaitors.

However, received advisories for front "track rod ends ball joint dust cover damaged but preventing the ingress of dirt" (2.2.c.1c). The garage said the Mrs to keep an eye on them and definately do them before the next MOT.

Not looked at them myself as they're burried in snow at the moment.

Could some suggest any reasonably decent brands for replacments. These ones and another ball joint which I replaced, were fitted by a local garage and whilst they did work, obviously the dust covers aren't up to much and here we are <30K mile they're all having to be replaced. The rubber broke down and it tore on that one as well.

I don't mind paying a little more to get quality so I don't have to keep re-doing the same job too soon. However, £30 each for genuine Pug ones takes the Mickey a bit.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Problem with these dust covers is that they are now a MOT failure if they're split.

If the car has had any work done that requires breaking the joint then there's a chance of splitting the boot especially if the forked splitter is used.

If the joints themselves are not worn then you may be able to just replace the boots.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did think about replacing the boots but to be honest. When you do do all th work to get access to the boots, you're 70-80% there.

Trying to get the correct size, coupled with the the price of two boots plus p&P being about the price 1 tie rod end - I'm minded to replace the tie rod ends.

I might just try the boots if I can find a supplier willing to help me size them correctly. I might just try my local motor factor who are pretty helpful.

I like to get things in and ready to go so that when I do have a bit of time and the weather conditions are ok (no workable garage space) I can go for it.

I know one thing though - seeing the snow and the temperature outside - I'm not doing it this month.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I hear you on the weather front and kinda get what you mean about the boots. I guess it really depends on how good/new the existing rods are.

Mine are 12 months old and just got an advisory on a perished boot.

As for make, mine are from GSF so probably made by V-tech whose quality has been diminishing over time.

I prefer OE parts like Quinton Hazel (QH).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts