Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can these be fitted by a novice. Driver side is bad. Mot is due next week and all thats wrong with the car is rear brakes and f/o/s track rod end. Should be able to tackle the brakes but never attempted the track rod end before.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
well haynes say 2 spanners...which is suppose to be easy for a DIY Mech that has some experiance.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a haynes but have left it at a mates house. Is it just a matter of jacking up, removing the splash guard and working it off with a couple of spanners.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
yeah it says that pretty much...looks like i can do it so its really simple by looks. when i get the time i will type up if you want...

·
Registered
144 Posts
daffyduck said:
I have a haynes but have left it at a mates house. Is it just a matter of jacking up, removing the splash guard and working it off with a couple of spanners.
Dont forget to get it tracked up after you have changed it

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
165 Posts
a good soak in WD40 as these are quite prone to sieze. if you can't wait a bit of heat with a blow torch to the rod end. count the turns off and put the rod on the same number will be good enough until you get the tracking checked. only turn the track rod end not the whole track rod when changing it :thumb:

i use one of these all the time, i bought it over ten years ago and i've never had a problem with it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ball-Joint-Splitter-Separator-Scissor-Type-20-45mm-NEW-/270677496556?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f05a2d2ec#ht_5082wt_1100

fits the 307 ok, changed my Rack last year

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi

I must have changed a hundred track rod ends in my time and I could not tell you where my ball joint splitter is.

1. Remove wheel
2. Loosen rod end locking nut just a 1/8 of a turn (that’s the one on rack).
3. Undo rod end nut (the one under/over ball) to the last couple of threads do not remove.
4. Big hammer and strike edge of casting nearest the nut you have undone (not the rack nut) 9 out of 10 times first strike will do the job if loose remove last couple of turns on the nut.
Then turn rod end off rack.
5. Put new and old ends side by side and check dimensions are the same and if so put new one back in the same place as old.
6. Tracking should be the same as it was, so if it had been curbed or tracked with worn ends or ball joints track will still be out.

I would say it would take you 1/2 hour.

Thanks Vpug :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts