Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologise if this has been asked before, I did look but couldn't find anything. We recently sold our old campervan and are looking at replacing it with a caravan. I've been doing my research and my 407SW136HDI should make a pretty good tow car.
However the nose weight limit of 60kg seems very low to me!
Most of the caravans I'm looking at (2nd hand) have nose weights of
75kgs or higher.
does anyone on here tow a caravan with their 407sw?
with a higher nose weight than 60?
Is it ok?
Did you fit spring assistors or something?
just load the caravan more to the rear to bring
the nose weight down?

I can't find a van that suits our needs less than 75kg
nose weight so I'd really like an answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ive just towed our Compass Connoisseur 490/5 from Hull to Normandy in France and back with my 407SW 2.0HDi136 without any issue at all. Got 30 mpg whilst towing too with five of us in the 407.

It towed great with the cruise set at 56-60 for nearly the full journey :thumb:

As for nose weight I haven't got a clue, I just tried to make sure the cara dn caravan where as level as possible

A pic

·
Registered
14,551 Posts
Im no expert on caravans but 75kg nose weight seems to be the standard most quote

I am however well experienced on towing a trailer with cars on board and nose weight IS important in so much as you need a good balance between loading the towball enough to stop the trailer bobbing around and getting too much weight on towball making the car a handful to drive

As stated above load the van sensibly and you will be fine I would be more bothered about overall weight you are pulling than nose weights

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the reply I think I'm just going to buy a 75kg
nose weight van and see how we get on :)
Just playing devils advocate here......

But from an insurance point of view you could find yourself in a sticky situation should it come to the unthinkable. If you were towing beyond the manufacturers specification they could refuse to pay out.

·
Registered
14,551 Posts
Just playing devils advocate here......

But from an insurance point of view you could find yourself in a sticky situation should it come to the unthinkable. If you were towing beyond the manufacturers specification they could refuse to pay out.
Nose weight can be varied overall weight cannot it is more important to make sure the van you intend to tow is not too heavy for your towcar :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
For some reason, 407's have a 60kg noseweight, but they seem not to mind 75kgs, I can get my Dads Abbey GTS 215 to hit 70kgs, and there will no-one in the back and only a coolbox full of beer in the boot, so we'll see how we go. My 307 I believe also had a 60kg noseweight and my old Coachman used to get 65kgs and tow fine :thumb:

I believe the 407 makes a fine towcar, part of the reason I bought mine :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The overall weight ratios come out as " perfect" for my car
and the proposed van! As does everything else apart from the
nose weight. I'm going to buy a nose weight guage and see
if I can get the 75kg down towards 60.
On one caravan forum that I've looked at it says the car's
ideal nose weight is 65kg, most of the others say 60kg.

It's too late now anyway :lol: we've put a deposit down
and hope to collect it this weekend.

I will let you know how we get on.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nice one :thumb:

What is it you have bought?

I've just checked my handbook and it says my 407 has a 65kg noseweight. I can achieve that by emptying the front locker and only putting the BBQ and sat dish in there, I normally only have the porch awning and table on the floor just fore of the axle and I have calor lite gas bottles which are really good :thumb:

In days gone by it was recommended that your noseweight was 7% of the caravan weight, but that is impossible in most cars due to the noseweight limit on them. In my case, the caravan weighs 1317kgs (was 1360, but is being downplated to suit my B licence) so 7% is 92.2kgs, which is impossible. The bosal detachable towbar I was looking at only had an 80kg limit anyway.

The cars kerbweight is 1723kgs, so 1317/1723*100= 76.4% match, so well within the recommended 85% and by some margin.

For me, the gross vehicle weight is 2183kgs, + 1317 caravan MTPLM = 3500kgs, right on the licence limit :eek:

Happy towing :thumb:

·
Registered
909 Posts
i balance the caravan usin the awnin over the axle of the van, if the nose is low, i move the awnin back slightly. Towed a Compass Kensington 500/4 to devon and back in the summer. The 407 does make a great tow car, its amazin how many 4x4's go past when you have your cuise or limiter set to 60mph, then when you come to a hill the 4x4's slow right down and the 407 just keeps on pullin, its great

·
Registered
190 Posts
I apologise if this has been asked before, I did look but couldn't find anything. We recently sold our old campervan and are looking at replacing it with a caravan. I've been doing my research and my 407SW136HDI should make a pretty good tow car.
However the nose weight limit of 60kg seems very low to me!
Most of the caravans I'm looking at (2nd hand) have nose weights of
75kgs or higher.
does anyone on here tow a caravan with their 407sw?
with a higher nose weight than 60?
Is it ok?
Did you fit spring assistors or something?
just load the caravan more to the rear to bring
the nose weight down?

I can't find a van that suits our needs less than 75kg
nose weight so I'd really like an answer to this.

Thanks in advance.
Put your luggage at the rear of the caravan to make it more balanced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We picked the caravan up from Chester on Sunday morning :lol:
The stabilizer bar wouldn't fit my car so I towed it back to
Telford without it. The weather was bad! The mirror extenders I
have are useless!
We were nearly killed by 2 different impatient drivers trying to overtake
when they couldn't.
The car and I coped fine though!
I even managed to reverse it onto the lawn in only 3 attempts! :)
We need to source a few bits and pieces for the van and a car plate
to enable the stabilizer to fit but by next year we should be ready to hit
the road in earnest. :thumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Please don't put anything heavy at the back for nose weight as if the caravan starts to snage anything heavy at the back will make it 100 times worse. All heavy stuff over the axle.

We have 1100kg van and have no issue getting the nose weight right.

The 407 us great tow car and mine returned 38mpg towing on 700 mile round trip

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I'm getting there now slowly :lol:
It's hardly been the weather for caravanning!

I still have an issue with the mirrors, I've got some
plastic extension mirrors that strap onto the car mirrors
but they are near enough useless!
Can anybody recommend some mirrors that actually
fit the 407SW and that work please?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Mirrors are always an issue, they always vibrate. I have the same mirrors as you by the sounds of it but they have blindspot extra mirrors on the ends of mine which are steady. I use the 407 mirrors for lookin alongside caravan and use the blindspot mirrors for overtakin etc. I have contemplated different mirrors to try an eliminate the vibration etc but didn't want to spend £100's tryin mirrors
I was looking at buyin these and tryin them
2 x ROCK STEADY TOWING MIRROR EXTENSION CAR WING MIRRORS CARAVAN FLAT & CONVEX | eBay

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have rocksteady mirrors. Passenger side clear, driver side has slight vibration. 100% better than my previous mirrors.

Malcolm.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Towing

I have a 407 2ltr HDi 136 SE and have a Bailey Imperial the nose weight of the Van is given as 100 kgs max now this is what the manufacturer states as the maximum load on the frame. The Peugeot car is given as Recommended 70Kgs. It is well known that the nose should have a minimum load so as to ensure a stable ride to prevent snaking. Now since the manufacturer does not say recommended minimum load the tow bar people take this as a maximum load and build the tow bar under the formula given by law with this figure subsequently making problems for matching perfectly suitable trailers up to the trailer maximum nose weight. The response from the tow bar manufacturer I got was that they build the tow bar according to the manufacturers guidelines - period. It is the manufacturer who is at fault for not giving accurate and understandable guidelines. There is no identifiable reason for a maximum as small as 70 kgs on the car chassis and if it were an axle loading it is the wrong way to calculate it since axle load is a combination of other items such as Boot load and people weight etc. The load of the ball should be used as just one of these factors and stated as either max or min not just recommended as with Peugeot. Commercial vehicles are plated with maximum axle loads and it is the operator /driver who is responsible for ensuring this is not overloaded, the chassis is manufactured to cope with any distributed load up to these weights and so is a car. Wake up Peugeot and set the record straight. To get my van to conform I now have to shift loads to aft of the van axle because in a static tare weight the nose is 85kgs so I cannot put gas bottles where they should be or the spare wheel and nothing can be loaded fore of the axle just to get 70kgs on the ball this now risks the possibility of snaking since this is where putting loads at the extremity creates this factor. If Peugeot now make good this interpretation I will still have to change the tow bar because it will be under rated - wonderful incompetence.

Oh and the reason the SW is rated lower at 60kgs is that it is able to accept just this load and still be stable because it is a stronger chassis than the SE - this makes my point very clear.

Not conforming risks Invalidating the insurance and prosecution in the event of an accident.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts