Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone towing a caravan with their 3008 and if so what caravan are you pulling. From my primitive knowledge and doing a little research the kerb weight means that there isn't much it can pull as the average caravan is nearing 1500kg

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Anyone towing a caravan with their 3008 and if so what caravan are you pulling. From my primitive knowledge and doing a little research the kerb weight means that there isn't much it can pull as the average caravan is nearing 1500kg
The reason I chose the 3008 is because I am thinking about buying a caravan and I’m sure when I checked it is capable of towing a heavier load than 1500kg. I remember finding a few websites that matched car and van but this was before the 3008 went on sale. Have you seen the review that’s recently been posted in one of the other threads?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The kerb weight means nothing with regard to towing unless you have a post '97 driving licence - or you know the actual towing capacity / gtw.

I've just looked up the spec, and the 1.6 3008 is rated for 1,300kg. This may be different for different engines, so check the handbook as step 1.

That's your lot. That's what it's plated for. That's it.

Get a tug onto a weighbridge with a 1,500kg caravan and that'll be the end of your weekend away and a much lighter wallet.

Everyone please - if you're going to tow, know what you're allowed instead of relying on what Dave down the pub says.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I posted this on the Video thread, may be useful ?

https://youtu.be/vbILX6oJhX0
We have a swift challenger sport 554. It is 4 berth with a fixed double bed, it's a fairly large caravan with a full sized bathroom the width of the caravan at the back.

it is Mass in Running Order (Kg) - 1277
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (Kg) - 1430

We currently tow it with our 508 GT 2.2 200PS. But will tow it with the 3008 GT also. I don't see any issues with this as the outfit matches ok.

I don't know where you are shopping for caravans that are all over 1500kg although you certainly can get heavy ones if you want.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Towing rules are and always have been as clear as mud you CAN tow more than your car weighs but the licence rules ad more complication from 1997 onwards

You MUST be under your total train weight even then there are different ways of interpreting that as i say its clear as mud always have been small recovery trucks for example transits etc tend to weigh around 2200kg empty so can only carry 1300kg legaly BUT tend to have a train weight of 5500kg meaning they can tow more than they can carry !!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Towing rules are and always have been as clear as mud you CAN tow more than your car weighs but the licence rules ad more complication from 1997 onwards

You MUST be under your total train weight even then there are different ways of interpreting that as i say its clear as mud always have been small recovery trucks for example transits etc tend to weigh around 2200kg empty so can only carry 1300kg legaly BUT tend to have a train weight of 5500kg meaning they can tow more than they can carry !!
It's not all that bad really - the info is out there (gov.uk site is a better resource than any caravan website). I haven't memorised the stupid rules introduced in '97 though as my licence predates that by a few years...

But, the one overriding factor is what the vehicle manufacturer states any particular vehicle is capable of dragging - it doesn't matter what licence you have or how much the towcar weighs - you cannot exceed that figure.

If the latest model is rated for 1,500kg, I should think you'd be safe with any reasonable caravan - but do check the plates...

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Problem is though most of the so called laws are NOT law they are rules or recommendations this is why so many get confused i regularly tow my trailer with what would be deemed illegal loads and i do so safely and within my vehicles capabilities.

Being ABLE to tow safely is nothing to do with being legal :)

I once towed a 38 seat coach with my subaru as they were stuck on a hill in the snow !

The more you read the more confused you get as with many things the laws need rejigged

·
Registered
357 Posts
Personally, I think the laws (actual laws that is) are pretty much fine.

As you said, it's the 'recommendations' and 'rules' (most of which aren't even real rules anyway) that confuse and confound.

Emergency pulling isn't towing (and I've had this confirmed) so isn't subject to the same laws.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This Practical Caravan video https://youtu.be/M_KCy1Rk4vM and what a friend who owns a caravan sales business have both said is not to exceed 85% of the vehicles kerb weight which is 1465kg (=1245kg @85%) on the GT. I know the Peugeot specs say Max braked trailer weight for the GT is 1700kg.

I have a HGV licence so the pre '97 licence doesn't include me.

1245kg doesn't get you very much in the caravan world as like I said in my OP most 4 berth caravans MTPLM are around 1500kg

·
Registered
765 Posts
The 85% is guidance only and it is a bit outdated and doesn't really reflect the changes in safety equipment and the way vehicle and caravans are changing.

85% is a good target for beginners, but if you have a bit of towing experience there is nothing wrong with exceeding this. I'd prefer not to exceed 100% as you don't want the towed outfit overcoming the tow vehicle.

The 3008 has anti sway support, as has most decent caravans these days, and with effective loading you can tow safely and efficiently outside of the limits.

As I point out with my outfit, there are caravans under 1500kg and there are many of them. Mine is pretty big for a 4 berth so there are many that weigh less.

Brand new 6 berth at 1360 mtplm https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/caravans/sprite-freedom

·
Registered
357 Posts
The "85% rule" is absolute rubbish and has no basis in law or otherwise. Maybe, just maybe, it's a suitable thing for someone who only tows twice a year and has no clue what they're doing - but I'd very much hope an HGV (or whatever it's termed now) holder should know how to do it.

That's exactly what I meant by caravan websites and Dave down the pub - regurgitation of total nonsense like it's gospel without actually knowing what you're talking about.

If you know so little about towing as to believe any of these made up 'rules', then book yourself in for a couple of towing lessons with your local driving school. Irrespective of what licence you hold they'll be happy to make sure you know what's what and that you're safe.

I used to regularly (like 3 times a week) tow nigh on 1.5x (150%) the vehicle weight with my discovery and never had an issue.

If your insurance states you can tow, it'll cover up to the plated allowable weight, or your licence limitation, whichever is lower.

If 85% of the vehicle kerb weight was actually a thing, the manufacturers (and the type approval bodies) would use it as the basis for plating - but it's not, so they don't.

Apologies for ranting - it bloody annoys me :lol:

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
This is EXACTLY what i mean towing is a minefield of missinformation even the government are guilty

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can: drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass ( MAM ) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM.
Tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg.

So you can be over 3500kg with a small trailer but must be 3500 or below with a large trailer :)

Then if you have a big boy license you can drive up to 7500kg AND tow a trailer up to 750kg

when you get on to things like discos etc it gets more confusing as they can tow heavy loads according to the chassis plate so technically you could have a train weight of 6 ton within your vehicles weight limit but would it be strictly legal ? certainly not for a 1997 onwards license but for us with big boy licenses possibly :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't apologise for the rant pdg, it's all interesting information to both me and any other forum user who might be wondering what it all means.

Back in the days when i was an HGV driver I drove a wagon and drag or drawbar outfit so most similar to caravans but never had to worry about vehicle weights really as I was only loaded with beds so got nowhere near the gross limits.

I'd feel confident towing more than 85% and would always take a couple of refresher lessons to get used to it all but I just didn't want to be breaking any laws and have VOSA breathing down my neck because I know how much those guys love to spoil a good day. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts
when you get on to things like discos etc it gets more confusing as they can tow heavy loads according to the chassis plate so technically you could have a train weight of 6 ton within your vehicles weight limit but would it be strictly legal ? certainly not for a 1997 onwards license but for us with big boy licenses possibly :)
For proper licences (;)) yes it's strictly legal - I can drive a combination of up to 8,250kg.

That can be made up with a vehicle up to 7,500kg and a trailer up to 3,500kg (actually, more than that if the trailer and gear is suitable, like the disco1 can be replated up to 4,000kg, but not with overrun brakes).

With a 7,500kg vehicle, I can only tow 750kg before my limit.

With a 6,000kg vehicle, I can tow 2,250kg.

Etc.

Of course, if said towing is deemed to be commercial (notwithstanding certain exceptions) then you get into tacho territory sooner than you think (towing a caravan to a country show where you're an exhibitor receiving renumeration? Taking a horsebox to a competition where there's prize money? Read up ;))

See? It's all perfectly clear and straightforward :eek:

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I'm allowed to post a link, here's the definitive guide:

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Stick within that and there's no reason to fret (unless commercial, and then you're on your own!)

Anything and everything else is interpretation or fabrication, well meaning or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I am now totally confused! The manual states the max towing weight for the GT is 1700 kg but the max towing weight for the GT Line 2.0 l manual is 2000 kg yet the kerb weight for both is the same at 1,425 kg.

So what is the maximum weight caravan I can legally tow in my GT assuming the max towing weight includes the luggage and everything else that’s not a fixture?

One other thing: the manual states the max towing weight is shown on the VIN plate, I had a look this morning and Peugeot appear to have hidden it somewhere, but where?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Take the kerb weight, grab it by the hair, drag it outside, shoot it in the face and leave it to die in the gutter - it has no bearing.

The only thing you need to know is whether the vehicle is overloaded.

The weight it can pull is the total weight of everything hooked to the hitch - trailer/caravan and everything you put in it. So that includes fittings, it includes windows, it includes beer, it includes paint - and it even includes dirt collected underneath if you get put on a weighbridge (yes, people have gone over the limit by loading a dirty mini digger on a marginal trailer).

The towing weight specified by the manufacturer and recognised in law is based on what the vehicle can pull and what it can stop - it is NOT based on kerb weight.

I'm assuming the GT and the GT line 2.0 are different models, and probably have different brakes - that's where the different capacity is.

So if you have a newer licence, you need to know the MAXIMUM weight of the car (kerb+max payload), subtract that figure from 3,500kg.

Now, the LOWER of either that resultant figure or the specified towing capacity is what you can legally tow.

Example: vehicle max of 1,700kg, you have 1,800kg left to play with. If the tow capacity is 2,000kg then you're still limited to 1,800 by licence - if the tow capacity is 1,300 then that's your limit.

·
Registered
357 Posts
One other thing: the manual states the max towing weight is shown on the VIN plate, I had a look this morning and Peugeot appear to have hidden it somewhere, but where?
Just noticed this bit.

The vin plate might be under the bonnet, or in the boot, or in a door shut...

I'd hope that a quick trip to a dealer would see you armed with it's location and an explanation of the weights detailed on it (gross vehicle weight, gross train weight, maximum axle weights, etc.)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am now totally confused! The manual states the max towing weight for the GT is 1700 kg but the max towing weight for the GT Line 2.0 l manual is 2000 kg yet the kerb weight for both is the same at 1,425 kg.

So what is the maximum weight caravan I can legally tow in my GT assuming the max towing weight includes the luggage and everything else that’s not a fixture?

The reduction for the GT is because of the autobox, it's nothing to do with weight, purely strain on the gearbox.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts