Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried towing a caravan with a 1.6HDi? Ive read that the max it can tow is 1300kgs but that includes the passengers in the car and the caravan load so i know the van would have to be light. Also will the fact that my car is remapped and is supposed to be putting out around 130bhp now affect its towing ability ie will it be able to pull a little more as the 136bhp 2.0HDi can pull 1600kgs?

Any ideas?

·
5,071 Posts
My 2.0 tows this with ease so if your torque figures are similar you should have no issues, btw this is 1345kgs max

·
5,071 Posts
:lol:mines a 1998 compass kensington 500/4
dont see many of them on the road, infact i have never seen another one

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need a five birth and cant afford as new a van as yourself so reckon ill be looking at something about 90-94 and thinking Swift 490/5 or Abbey Piper 14.5ex. I like the foreign vans like the Adrias but they seem a bit heavier so a no go.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picking my new Adria van tomorrow and looking forward to it but been reading up and a few have mentioned pumping your back tyres up when towing, what do others do on here?

J

·
0 Posts
i think top gear will be ashamed of all this caravan speak :lol:
Must be an ageing community :eek: :D

And yes, rear tyres will need a bit more pressure.... refer to the sticker in driver's door for full load pressures.... 2.6bar front and 2.8bar rear I believe for the estate, well for the 2.0 anyhow :thumb:

·
5,071 Posts
Picking my new Adria van tomorrow and looking forward to it but been reading up and a few have mentioned pumping your back tyres up when towing, what do others do on here?
I always find attaching the caravan helps if i want to tow it:rolleyes:

Adria then .we need pic's, is the door on the wrong side?? can cause issues if it is

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always find attaching the caravan helps if i want to tow it:rolleyes:

Adria then .we need pic's, is the door on the wrong side?? can cause issues if it is
Doors on the passenger side which seems the norm from what ive seen.

Ill get pics up when i get it home tomoz.

Any tips on towing Trem as ive never done it although i used to be a bus driver driving double deckers so driving something big isnt an issue?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Must be an ageing community :eek: :D
:lol:

I dont class myself as againg as im 39 going on 21 but we like to go camping and a caravan is the logical progression and a lot less hassle when you arrive at your destination. You unhook it, put the legs down, plug the leccy in and youve got a beer in your hand - Bliss!:D

·
5,071 Posts
Doors on the passenger side which seems the norm from what ive seen.

Ill get pics up when i get it home tomoz.

Any tips on towing Trem as ive never done it although i used to be a bus driver driving double deckers so driving something big isnt an issue?
doors on the proper side then :nod:
as for towing you have got at least one towing mirror havnt you...........
if not these are the type i use

2 x QUALITY CARAVAN EXTENTION TOWING MIRRORS NEW IN BOX EASY FIT MOTORAMA HULL. | eBay
not brill by any means but cheap and legal, just remember to remove them before you lock your car:eek:

How far do you need to tow it and do you have any type of anti-snake device
again what i use

BULLDOG100Q STABILIZER BAR AND SCOTT TYPE QUICK RELEASE | eBay

towing itself is quite easy IF you remember to take left hand corners abit wider and turn later, watch the caravan wheel in your nearside mirror and you'll quickly get the idea of which route the wheel is gonna take.
the caravan club do courses cheap enough if your worried about towing and i suppose most important is take your time until you get used to the feel of it and if you get a chance find a nice large(and i mean REALLY large) area and try some reversing.
also theres loads of advice on here
Caravanning 4U - Where People Get Together !
assuming it'll allow the link of course

·
5,071 Posts
:lol:

I dont class myself as againg as im 39 going on 21 but we like to go camping and a caravan is the logical progression and a lot less hassle when you arrive at your destination. You unhook it, put the legs down, plug the leccy in and youve got a beer in your hand - Bliss!:D
can i just point out with planning it'll be a COOL beer.
we used to camp and stepped up to a caravan and love it

·
5,071 Posts
And are you planning on painting the feckin wheels black on the caravan :lol::lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:nod::lol:

Oh yeah its getting the black wheel trim treatment! You know it makes sense.

As for the van it comes with mirrors and has an anti snake fitted though dont know what type.

Not massively concerned about towing just ive read about snaking when overtaking on motorways though i know you can only do 60 when towing which will probably kill me but needs must!:lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Only pulling your leg :D

I'm not quite so taken with caravans.... got the car for it, but other half definitely won't let us have one. We did hire a motorhome to tour Scotland a couple of years back, and could get used to touring in that, but bit expensive :eek:
I definitely won't do camping though :nono:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only pulling your leg :D

I'm not quite so taken with caravans.... got the car for it, but other half definitely won't let us have one. We did hire a motorhome to tour Scotland a couple of years back, and could get used to touring in that, but bit expensive :eek:
I definitely won't do camping though :nono:
You dont know what your missing!:lol:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i beleive for myself and some others, we need to actually get the licence to tow a trailer or caravan...

i know for the likes of my dad who has been driving since the wheel was invented he can pretty much do anything...but for me and a recent licence its a course and test :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i beleive for myself and some others, we need to actually get the licence to tow a trailer or caravan...

i know for the likes of my dad who has been driving since the wheel was invented he can pretty much do anything...but for me and a recent licence its a course and test :mad:
You can tow a trailer upto 750kg, so you could tow a trailer tent as most are under that weight.

But yeah anyone passing after 1997 needs to do a trailer test, and is limited to 3500KG vehicle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts